elias123

canopy size and jumps

Started with Sabre 1 190 WL ~ .76

Now jumping Sabre 2 150 WL ~ 1:1 with 107 jumps. I'm happy with the canopy and the WL. My landings are improving but still aren't that great, so I'm playing it safe and not in a hurry to downsize. The only time I wish I had a higher WL is on higher wind days!

I jumped the usual Student kit (Skymaster 290's, 230's and 200's) until i had about 50 jumps and then i bought a Hornet 170 that was loaded to about 1.1

At about 400 odd jumps i downsized to a Sabre 150 loaded to about 1.3 and then very quickly (i'd say within 50 jumps, if that) to a Safire 129 loaded to about 1.6.

This was the WORST decision i could have made, the canopy was too small, i was rushing and thus was dirty a LOT when i walked off of the DZ, often to the more experienced jumpers amusement. :$

It was only after a chat with a close friend and much more experienced jumper that i decided to slow down and focus.

I reduced my turns back to 90degree turns, spent time on the canopy, worked with what i had, practiced and sought coaching, then at around 650 jumps went to a Hurricane 120 loaded to about 1.8

I now jump a 103 Velocity loaded to around 2.2. I have 855 jumps.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I bought my first canopy at about 20 jumps.
Sabre 170 loaded at 1:1
About 150 jumps: Spectre 150 at 1.06:1
Just ordered at 560 jumps Sabre2 135 at 1.15:1

I have lost weight since starting to skydive... started out weighing about 155, now 135-140. I'm still keeping my Spectre as a back up, I love that canopy and it'll be nice to have a second rig.

I like flying relatively light wing loadings and keeping myself in one piece :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

37 jumps: first canopies I bought were Hornet 170 loaded at 0.8 and PD 160 reserve at 0.85
Around 100 jumps: Hornet 150, wingload 0.9
Around 250 jumps: Pilot 132, wingloaded somewhere around 1.0-1.05 depending on if I'm wearing lead. Still have the PD 160 reserve.

Jumps

37-56 PD 210 at W/L= .92

56-200 Sabre1 170 at W/L = 1.15

200-212 Sabre1 150 at W/L = 1.3

Everyone gets indirect canopy coaching at my DZ. If you don't land close to the circle or fall you get ridiculed for weeks. On the plus side instructors and coaches will tell you what you need to do differently. Don't be in a hurry to downsize. If you think you know how to fly your canopy every which way you probably don't.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

If you don't land close to the circle or fall you get ridiculed for weeks.

That's pretty lame in my opinion.

Don't be in a hurry to downsize. If you think you know how to fly your canopy every which way you probably don't.

I'm definately not planning to downsize in the coming years. That's why I bought this rig (the 150). I know it's pretty small for my experience level, but it was a good deal and since I'm planning on jumping this canopy at least for the next decade, I thought it would be a good buy. And I certainly don't know how to fly it yet because I haven't jumped it yet :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I jumped a 230 starting around jump 20, then a 218 at about 35... I just got a Pilot 210 at jump 95 and that puts me at or slightly below 1:1. The landings on this canopy so far have been great, and I expect in 50-100 jumps to try a 190
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

Why not? Lots of people at my DZ jump canopy's that they've been using for over 10 years. I don't know if I'm gonna use it for 10 years but I definately hope that I can put another 1000 jumps on it, and since i'm not a very frequent jumper (may change in the future) I'm guessing this may take a while (more than 10 years)

Blues
Eli

If you don't land close to the circle or fall you get ridiculed for weeks.

That's pretty lame in my opinion.

Welcome to skydiving!! ;) On my first night landing I was coming in kind of hot and ended up on my knee's before it was all over. I got some hoots and clapping and other comments. Seeing as all the spot lights were on me; literally, I took a bow, that brought a good round of laughter and life moved on... that's part of our sport. Enjoy it!!

As for your question, I bought a Triathlon 220 before I was off AFF. I jumped it until I had over 100 jumps and I downsized to a Sentry 190 6 months ago and am loading it around 1.21. So far it's going ok. Don't be in a hurry to down size and get some coaching. Remember the skydive is not over until your on the ground with everything in tact.

Stay safe!! :)

Well yeah, sure it's funny when someone lands a little akward or falls down, and laughing for/at it is great, it creates even more comradry and stuff wich I think is awesome! But really being ridiculed for it for weeks is pretty stupid.

Blues
Eli ;)

Well yeah, sure it's funny when someone lands a little akward or falls down, and laughing for/at it is great, it creates even more comradry and stuff wich I think is awesome! But really being ridiculed for it for weeks is pretty stupid.

Blues
Eli ;)

Yes for that I would agree, unless the person biffing it is a self proclaimed sky god, in which case it's called for! ;) Oh and beer too!

Bought my first canopy at 75 jumps: a spectre 150 wl 1:1
after that I jumped a lightning 143, spectre 135, safire 135, lightning 126, vengeance 135, diablo 120, vengeance 120, springo 120, did some jumps on various other 120-ish canopies (stiletto, pilot, safire2, sabre, triathlon) and now i am the happy owner of a safire 119 (at ~1035 jumps right now), got a bit heavier in the meantime so my wl is about 1.4:1. I loved the vengeance but i wingsuit a lot so the safire is way better for that and the biggest vengeance that would fit in my current rig would be a 107 which is too small for me right now never mind for wingsuiting.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Jumps 20 through 100:
PD210 (F-111)
.85WL

Jumps 100 through 300
Saber 170
1.15 WL

Progressed to a Stiletto by use of demos

Jumps 300 through 1000
Stiletto 150
WL 1.3

1000 to present
Stiletto 135
WL 1.5 (weight loss and gain 1.75 to 1.5)

After jump 2000 I did a good number of jumps on other canopies going all the way down to sub 100 and it was through this experience that I asked myself if I have adequate fun on the Stiletto 135 at the 1.5WL. The answer is yes, I have fun, can get really long surfs and can bail myself out of bad situations when needed, can perform a flat turn 180 degrees from 150 feet AGL and put that canopy down in very tight spots so my decision so far has been to stick with that canopy and WL because it delivers a good balance between fun and safety. My reserve choice is a PD 150 and will not go below that.

In essence, I believe I have found a canopy selection that delivers balance between fun and safety and I will probably stay there, maybe even upsize in the future but I do not anticipate ever downsizing further.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…