illusioneer

What jump number was your first cutaway?

Around jump #350. It was a line-over on a 28' round (cheapo). Stood up my round 26' Navy Conical. 650 square jumps after that with no mals.

Before that, I did two intentional cutaways with a three chute rig (too bad that's so hard to find today, it made the real thing much easier for me).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Jump #327 I think. A Mr. Bill attempt that resulted in a lineover and spinner on my Sabre 2 170 that I quickly chopped. I was at 1800' under my PD 160 reserve. I did a few practice flares, I think it was my first time under anything as small as a 160 and first time flying a reserve. At Skydance, we have a gravel swoopers alley, and I did a straight in approach and slid in my landing on my feet because that's what I felt the most comfortable doing.

Recently I did an intentional cutaway of a Stiletto 120 hooked up backwards and landed my Crossfire 2 149.

If you have to have one as a TM, why not one as a coach, AFFI, or other rating?

Because Tandem is the only place where the ability to make that decision may save the life of someone other than yourself???????

Myself, one on #249, broken steering line/tension knot, only a half inflated canopy. The second on #791, several broken lines from a hard open / over jumped lines combo.

If you have to have one as a TM, why not one as a coach, AFFI, or other rating?

Because Tandem is the only place where the ability to make that decision may save the life of someone other than yourself???????

Myself, one on #249, broken steering line/tension knot, only a half inflated canopy. The second on #791, several broken lines from a hard open / over jumped lines combo.

I understand why a TM/TI is required to have a cutaway. I realize why a coach, AFFI, etc are not required. Other than the question originally being rhetorical, wouldn't you agree that someone training a student in how a cutaway functions would best describe and explain the experience if they'd had their own, whether intentional or not?

I am sooooooooo excited that I can finally freaking vote on this poll!!!!!!! My first chop was yesterday. A lineover. My final thought before chopping was "Crap, I owe two cases of beer for this". It was my first chop and my first save as rigger B| Stand up landing, kept my handles, got my main and free bag back. All kinds of fun.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I am sooooooooo excited that I can finally freaking vote on this poll!!!!!!! My first chop was yesterday. A lineover. My final thought before chopping was "Crap, I owe two cases of beer for this". It was my first chop and my first save as rigger B| Stand up landing, kept my handles, got my main and free bag back. All kinds of fun.

One case only, unless of course you planned to chop and save on the same jump;)
WTG saving your self to:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

One case only, unless of course you planned to chop and save on the same jump

Definitely not. Although the timing couldn't have been better... my repack was due next week anyway B| I'm just delighted with myself that I wasn't remotely scared, more irritated at the prospect of losing my gear since there was no way I could follow my shit down.... all trees and houses and power lines where it was going and VERY annoyed with myself for having packed myself a line over somehow.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Last Saturday...
Jump 301.
Instead of my usual freeflying decided to do an RW jump. Packed at the door my cut-away handle got dislodged and flew away when we reached terminal.(Checked my handles 1 time before boarding the plane and twice before the exit so I know for sure that it got caught somewhere on exit)
Safe reserve ride with stand-up landing. Found my main not my handle, free bag and reserve pilot chute though. No worries. I am safe and alive.
The rest are material that can be replaced.
So it was a cutaway but not really...I did not have a malfunction or pull the handle....

Found your main?

I'm not sure I understand.
Did you have a two-out after 'normal' main deployment after the RW was done?
Did noone on the dive notice the flying ripcord?

ETA: jump 55
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I know for sure that it got caught somewhere on exit)
Found my main not my handle, free bag and reserve pilot chute though. ....

glad to hear you're OK...
so, did any of your co-RW'ers land with your handle in the hand with a "OOOPS" face on ?
Did you have an RSL opening ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

jump # 525

mid 70's

cutaway a french papillon
shot and a halves
mini system container
chest mounted 26 ft. 'navy conical'

had hooked up the main ( which was packed in a p o d ) onto the container at the capewells ( crisscrossed the risers somehow) :S:S[:/]
4 way meet
stand up, out in the boonies

In the do as I say and not as I do category; borrowed gear, leg strap mountd pilot chute, no AAD, no RSL, and transitioning off of student gear.

It was jump 69, or something really close to that. But I've lost my first log book and I like the sound of 69.

Had gotten into a bad habit of reaching for and pulling the toggles before doing the canopy check. Yanked em down as I looked up, then noticed several line twists. Kicked out of them without any problem, then noticed that the kicking out of the twists had really messed up the steering lines. Relatively slow turn (it seemed faster back then) that I could not control consistently. Messed with the lines trying to undo the tangles. Made them worse and sped up the turn a bit.

At about 1800 feet decided it was time to stop messing around and made mental note I had no AAD or RSL. Cut away, took about 2 or 3 seconds delay and deployed in perfect belly to Earth position. Noticed right away the reserve was smaller than the Fury (remember, borrowed gear) and flying just a bit faster than anything I had ever piloted. Wouldn't you know it, my best out was an alfalfa field. That shit is like landing in velcro. As soon as my foot made contact I did a massive faceplant. Came up with alfalfa sticking out of my mouth, helmet, rig, everywhere.

Was probably quite a sight but since I landed a mile off, no witnesses. The farmer let me climb up on the roof of his chicken coop so I could find everything. Gathered up the gear just as my ride back showed up. I thought people might be pissed; but there was a generally celebratory mood because I had saved my ass from the shit I caused.

And there was much rejoicing.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Jump # 103.

I had some type of spinning malfunction. I reached up and both brakes were still stowed, so not a brake fire. After about 8 revolutions I cutaway. I immediately pulled silver since I had an RSL anyways. I had about 9 linetwists in the reserve. Watching the reserve spin up like that scared the christ out of me. By the time I got myself untwisted I was at around 1200 feet.

Incidentally it was my FIRST jump, at my FIRST boogie, the FIRST time away from my home DZ.

Never recovered the main or freebag. I believe someone at the boogie swiped it. I wish I had that cutaway at my home DZ.

Edit: I did stand up the landing though.

Jump 450 Safire I 149 2. day of Borneo Boogie.
Brakeline broke, many twists but stable (could have get rid of the twists and land on rears when I think back) But I was about 1800ft above kota kinabalu international airport terminal and flying backwards, so I chopped and landed fine with my pd160.
Btw.: Next jump was with a rented stiletto 135 - which scared the shit out of me - to the beach by the hotel on the same day. I had to choose between a PD190 or the stiletto for the rest of the boogie and were talked to the stiletto which was the best expierience ever!

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Mine happened on jump number 12. it was my first stable free fall after a 10 second delay. I remember the packer saying that he had packed it different this time and he wanted me to know what I thought. The chute opened into a violent spin, and at that time I was on radio and the DZO was yelling "release the breaks" and me yelling "THEY'RE ALREADY RELEASED" thinking some how he might hear me from 3000 feet above. I was able to stop the spinning by pulling down really hard on the right risers, but the second I let loose I was out of control again. Finally chopped and saw that beautiful white canopy.

We never figured out exactly what the problem was, and the DZO called it a "Student Malfunction". has anyone ever heard of this? More or less it was tension knots in my steering lines is what we came up with. I haven't had to chop since but I have broken both steering lines and end cell canopy lines, but both were controllable so I rode them out.
Life is way too short not to enjoy every minute of it :)

It was about jump #320. I had just downsized to my current canopy a xf2 139 from a safire2 159. It was my second jump on it and I forgot to stow one brake. During opening I got a bunch of line twist - kicked out of them and was still spinning (what at the time i thought was really fast). Tried to get my toggles out but the slider had come down and locked them in. I hit 1800 ft and said goodbye.

Almost 300 jumps later on the same canopy I can tell you that I don't think I would have the same issue. :P

Details here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2981890;search_string=jacketsdb23;#2981890

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Jump #51, my second jump on my new J4 (reserve repacked earlier that day of course). Sunset load, solo (last out after an 8 way FS). Opened at 4K with 4 linetwists in the center of my lines. Fought it down to 3K and chopped because it was already dark, I had not gotten a single twist out, and I was flying away from the DZ. Landing out sucks, so I figured landing out at night would suck much worse, and landing out at night under a reserve I had never flown before would be the worst of the available choices. Even chopping at 3K I had to get on the rear risers and still barely made the edge of the DZ.

Did you end up finding the cutaway main canopy? Same night, or in the morning when it got bright again?

Found the main and freebag the next morning - it was too dark to look for it by the time I landed my reserve. In retrospect I kinda wish it had gotten lost. Jump 123 was a hellacious slammer (bag strip I think) that resulted in 9 broken lines, a torn port and me spinning on my back - I did manage to keep my handles on that one, even after having about 8 linetwists on my reserve...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Jump #13! No shit! But that was back in the 70's. Thank God we didn't have the forums back then. I can just imagine the posts...

What the hell is a student with only 13 jumps doing on a Paracomander? Who's brain child was that?

We recommend 50 jumps before upgrading to any high performance round canopies, 100 jumps before even thinking about jumping a square!

What was the jumpmaster doing flying the plane? Didn't you guys read the SIM?

Yup, Yup, this sport never seems to change...

;);) (two winks)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I know one person with 4800 jumps, no cutaways. Another that has 2100+ jumps, no cutaway.
reply]

we have an AAF/TM instructor at our DZ with almost 10,000 jumps and no malfunctions on his own gear, he did have one on a tandem that someone else packed

Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.