illusioneer

What jump number was your first cutaway?

Cutaways did not exist much until the first "Sport" canopy, ParaCommander, introduced wild spins with Mals. My 1st was ~200 on a demo-jump over Wharton Texas with my dear Aunt Hattie watching. I pulled my main at about 1,200 AGL (way high for that place-time). My newish PC opened with a violent spin... My shot and a half ker-chunked soon as i'd filled the tangs down. I commenced to pull my 24' flat belly reserve with a wind-blast ripcord soldered by my mentor, CG Wallace. Cool beans.
The solder on the pin-made-from-a-nail dug into the cone. No Pull..... Shucks. This went on FOREVER. At one point I was in a deep bowl with the hroizon way above where it could be. PULL: PULL:.... etc. etc.
At this point my Alamo brain says, "Thou Shalt NOT bounce w/ no-pull!!! Yo1 Heave! pULL! Open, Swing once, splash down in a ditch in a rice field.
Of course I explain to Aunt Hattie that it was "all a part of the show...." :-]
That gentle lady said something like, "That was the most damn foolish thing i haver Ever seen...."
Well, at least my Mom was not there.
My other 30 ++ went much better for all.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

jump 47, opened into twists... started spinning, kicked out of twists still spinning, tried to fight using risers, not happening, started to panic released one brake for some reason couldnt release other, then i realised i had lost altitude awareness so i had no idea even if i released both brakes if i could sort it then have enough time to cutaway if not so decided to chop. nicest opening and best landing and landing spot ive had... only been able to jump once since, not going to be able to jump until feb, reckon ill have first jump jitters again!:S

Had mine of jump 177 after a 4-way team jump, on my PISA Hornet 170 .... the excess brake line cause the left toggle to get stuck, so having one brake unstowed and then spent way too much time trying to release the left brake I ate up all my altitude and right about the dz bar at 1400ft I pulled the silver ;)

Easy reserve landing, and only went down on one knee.

4 Sport, 3 Tandem and 32 Test Jump Reserve rides since then.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Jump # 1111.

Sunset load on the evening of our DZ Halloween party. Hop-n-pop from 5000'. Monarch 120 deployment out of the bag was obviously not quite in sequence (sort of hung up on the last couple stow). Opened spinning...too many line twists to even consider fighting it at the altitude I was at (2000ft.?).

Chopped. Deployed a very pretty all ORANGE Raven. Stand up landing in peas and somebody was already walking my main over to me. :)

aloha.

Cutaways did not exist much until the first "Sport" canopy, ParaCommander, introduced wild spins with Mals.

The nice thing about those early cutaways... The canopies we were jumping required that you spotted every load precisely. When you had a cutaway, your main landed near the target!

Usually, (if your spot was on) your main landed closer to the target than you??B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Not a cutaway, but my first reserve ride was#50-something - total mal on a 4-pin mil-surp. At terminal; was roughly head-down when I pull the 24' reserve, which deployed between my legs. Landed it with the weight of the 28' cheapo still in the container. The insides of my thighs were purple for 2 weeks after that.

Cutaways did not exist much until the first "Sport" canopy, ParaCommander, introduced wild spins with Mals.

Glad you said that, and I think you will agree this about older technology. I tell people all the time: On a 7 cell "square" canopy, if you get the lines, slider and bridle right, it will open. I dont care what you do to the canopy. You may not like the opening but it will open." Many dont believe me, to the point i had a DZO/rigger assemble a new rig for me and when he was ready to pack the main he slid the slider up and then called out my name. From across the packing area on a busy Saturday I turned around to see him with the lines over the shoulder and his arm bent at the elbows rolling the canopy up by rotating his forearms over one another. Like he was doing the "handjive" or something. He yells out " you dont care about what I do with the canopy huh?" I paused, looking at the loose lines everywhere, the ball of crap he was creating, noticing bottom skin, an end cell and the tail together at one point, I said (being cocky). "Nope! Go ahead I'll jump it!" and walk toward him. By the time I got to him I had to push thru the crowd to see what else he was doing, they were mostly young jumpers.
I proceeded to inform the newbies to ignore what they are seeing and not to try this at home, that we were not setting a good example. Yet I believe that this will show where this so called "old or basic design wing, is more reliable than the "advanced", or "cool" designs.

While I had manifested to do a 4 way I bumped off for a hop N pop instead. I might be stupid or ballsy, but Im not out for self inflicted pain of a hard opening at terminal. A camera man jumping a Velocity wanted to exit with me and film the opening, of course now the whole DZ was gathering to watch.

So I began to prepare for the jump, worked out the exit for the two of us, practiced my EM's and even included hook knife removal. While not having any "real" cut away experience, I have done a few test jumps that included canopy "transfers' or releases, I was a little nervous. But I had to do it now, I mean I had to save face so I loaded the plane.
:S
As I climb out at 3000' I can see the whole DZ standing in a group looking up to watch.
Video was late on exit (unknown to me) and turns out he was still on my back as I was about to release my PC that was in his face. He managed to get off and below in time which got an excellent shot of a slow, on heading, absolutely "perfect" opening. "Ahhh I thought, ya pulled that one off, wheeeh!"
Upon landing I was told that the crowd all "boo'd" when it opened, but then said ouch" when they saw/heard the camera man's Velo slam him with 90 off!

On a 7 cell square it is very difficult to pack a malfunction, I know this from all the years packing starting when I was 6. I do miss those days!

1200'? Geez Pat, I remember 8 ways breaking off at a 1000.. Well, glad it was 12, you needed that extra 200'! Would of missed all that great artwork!B|

The nice thing about those early cutaways... The canopies we were jumping required that you spotted every load precisely. When you had a cutaway, your main landed near the target!

Usually, (if your spot was on) your main landed closer to the target than you??B|

I've always said (jokingly of course) : "Spot for your free bag, cutaway low".......

Jump 38 - 1st pack job on my new canopy :S
Jump 53 - trash pack :(

I've had some lineovers that cleared, and some slammers that I thought broke some lines, but they all stayed intact somehow. So none since 53 *knocks on wood*

My boyfriend has 8 (out of over 1200 jumps), including one on his first jump on tandem gear. :o

http://3ringnecklace.com/