format

RSL or why not

I did have my hand almost disabling my reserve to open - because of an RSL, on my 3rd cutaway.

Do you have a thread or discussion anywhere of this incident? I do not want to hijack this thread - but I would like see/hear more details about what you describe in this line, if at all possible.

Thanks,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would release the
>main and not immediately deploy the reserve but it happens.

Can't find the reserve handle
Can find the reserve handle but can't pull it
Incapacitated due to impact with another canopy
jumper who feels it is necessary to "fall away from their main" before they open their reserve

For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would release the main and not immediately deploy the reserve but it happens.

One of lifes mysteries I guess.....

Not really a mystery, A lot of people train themselves to cutaway, get stable, and then pull the reserve. A lot of people have gone in trying to get stable.

I have about 10 cutaways, maybe 6-7 with rsl, 3-4 without. No real difference since I arch as I cutaway, then immediately pull the reserve. Some have been spinners, all have been stable reserve deployments.B|

For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would release the main and not immediately deploy the reserve but it happens.

I had a hard cutaway once. On the third try with both hands on the cutaway handle I got it. I was so relieved do have gotten the job done I forgot to pull my reserve. I cannot tell you how long the delay was until I remembered, maybe 1/4 second, maybe 3 seconds, but I know it was non-zero.

8 reserve rides and I have never used an RSL. All cutaways, no totals.

I have never deployed a reserve below 1000 feet.

One of life's mysteries I guess.....

Turn a quick series and build up a little speed...two skydives for the price of one! ;)

I have 14 cut-aways (3 on 'conventional' gear), no totals and also don't RSL...I have on occasion during a demonstration jump purposely fallen below the other jumpers in proximity, prior to deploying a reserve as a safety measure.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I do not want to hijack this thread

I think it belongs into this thread but however

"PMd" it.

Post in here. It belongs here since OP was a why or why not question!

I personally have 2 skyhook V3's and like them alot. I have not cutaway yet but had a PCIT terminal reserve deployment and the skyhook did not interfear!:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

>For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would release the main and not immediately deploy the reserve but it happens.

>Turn a quick series and build up a little speed...two skydives for the price of one! ;) ____________________________________________

It was a very busy day for me, then had to chop on a video jump. I took an extremely refreshing 7 sec delay just to chill out. Time for a full series, but I wanted to relax.
Not humming it either; reserve out above 2,500'.

tanstaafl

I have on occasion during a demonstration jump purposely fallen below the other jumpers in proximity, prior to deploying a reserve as a safety measure

Safety measure or an excuse to geek the camera once more?:P

I've had two cutaways both without RSL. I've got nothing against them, but I bought my rig used and it came without one. I'm confident that if I can pull the little green handle, I can pull the big silver one after.
I got nuthin

I have a Skyhook.

If I didn't, I'd still jump with an RSL. Other than camera guys, I've never heard a really convincing argument from people without one. Especially from people with 50 jumps saying "they've thought hard about it and made their decision based on the facts".

CRW is a different proposition, but other than that small fraction of my jumps, it's always connected.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

after 32 hours and 102 votes (only ?)

47% RSL or Skyhook
34% NO RSL exept for students
19% Sometimes yes/no

That's it. 172 skydivers voted in 10 days:
- 48% voted for RSL or Skyhook
- 34% voted against RSL exept for students
- 19% sometimes connect it

Well, to me, the revealing point is that there is 79216 registered users at DZ.com - 79044 voteless!

So much for the poll - nevertheless :P
What goes around, comes later.

nope, I pull high so I have time, and if, for some reason I had just one of my risers let go and it happened to be the one attached to the RSL I would have my reserve launching into a pile of shit. that is of course if you just have an RSL without a collins lanyard. I'd be interested in a skyhook, but the more complications you add the more complications you have. just one mans opinion

This has already been debated in another thread, so I won't be long-winded. I do not use an RSL on my sport rigs. I just don't feel like I need it. When I did tandems, I kept the RSL hooked up. My thinking was that with a student strapped to the front of me possibly kicking and screaming on a cutaway, it was better to get the reserve out immediately.

I have not seen any incident reports that particularly point to RSL being the cause of the fatality. Am I reading in the wrong place?

Nope. This is a hot debate and one that has pretty clear choice to me. I remember at 200 jumps I thought I had graduated from having to use an RSL...man I was naive.

One of life's mysteries I guess.....

Not really a mystery...hard pull or unable to locate the deployment handle because the harness shifted.

Newb question . . .

Why would a camera flyer not want to use an RSL? I'm sure it has something to do with cutting away the helmet?

Another newb question . . .

I've seen a few cutaway videos online where it seems to take the jumper longer to cutaway one of the risers than the other, is that because of an RSL?

Yes, some people argue that you need to be able to cutaway the helmet before deploying the reserve if your main is caught on your helmet. Others argue that if you cutaway with the main attached to your helmet it will break your neck before you can cutaway the helmet. The Non-RSL riser is supposed to release just before the RSL side does. I doubt you would notice it.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.