dgw

Bear Grylls water landing

I am watching Born Survivor, starring Bear Grylls, ex SAS.

He landed his parachute in the sea, talking at length about how how important it was to cut away at the right height just before entry.

Then, he cuts away, and his RSL deploys his reserve, which reaches line stretch before he enters the sea.

Surely this is not the right way to do a water landing? Surely he should have disconnected the RSL first?

(Special Forces? Special needs...:))

Then, he cuts away, and his RSL deploys his reserve, which reaches line stretch before he enters the sea.

Surely this is not the right way to do a water landing?

It's not the right way to do a water landing. Doing that can break your bones and burst your intestines which are not good.

You land, PLF if necessary, and then cutaway. Follow a seam to the end of the canopy if there's no wind and it lands on top of you.

This all is covered in water training which you need for a B-license and to make night jumps.

Surely he should have disconnected the RSL first?

I am watching Born Survivor, starring Bear Grylls, ex SAS.

He landed his parachute in the sea, talking at length about how how important it was to cut away at the right height just before entry.

Surely this is not the right way to do a water landing? Surely he should have disconnected the RSL first?

bear grylls is 'allegedly' ex TA SAS (territorial army version).
Although technically as hard to get into its the part time outfit for civvies...and hence he cant call himself a real SAS man IMO ;)
and although I didnt see it, his water landing sounds dangerous!

oh, and heres some Bear Grylls facts....

http://www.jaredbridges.net/archives/2007/06/15/bear-grylls-facts/

No he should have unfastened his chest strap, loosened his leg straps to maximum leanght, disconnect his rsl, THEN cut away 20' above the water. That way his rig SHOULD just fall right off before his feet ever touch the water. Problem solved.

>>BTW, in case you couldnt figure it out for yourself, this is sarcasm.<<
Muff #5048

In general, if you do the things depicted by Bear Grylls' show, you're going to hurt yourself pretty badly.

He gives HORRIBLE survival advice and probably should have died already just doing his show.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

that guys a pussy. I hate his show. he has a camera crew following him around at all times. and i have heard him admit. that he has bummed a cup of hot tea from them in the mornings AND got cold and got into their tents b4. that les stroud survivorman guy is much more the man. he does all the camera work on his own. if he gets himself in a tight spot he can't just yell mommy and pussy out. o.k. rant over
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

he dosnt claim / dosnt claim anymore that he is really spending a day in the wilderness

he says / now says its a representation of someone spending that time there

sure in some of his scenes you can see the harness's etc holding him on the tree or whatever hes climbing

that guys a pussy. I hate his show. he has a camera crew following him around at all times. and i have heard him admit. that he has bummed a cup of hot tea from them in the mornings AND got cold and got into their tents b4. that les stroud survivorman guy is much more the man. he does all the camera work on his own. if he gets himself in a tight spot he can't just yell mommy and pussy out. o.k. rant over

Uh sorry to say but to realize it's a TV show. Who in their right mind except an idiot would carry their camera around themselves. I know that one other guy does it sometimes (but don't kid yourself he isn't really alone, almost ever - that is a fact).

Would you do it alone without a camera guy? Hell no. Neither would I. All I expect of the guy is him to depict it as surviving alone and hopefully giving us the right information if we are in that situation. Not do it alone himself. That would be simply retarded.

And I always love the credits when he is falling from the helicopter (is it a heli?) and you see that tiny island below him. I don't care if the guy has sushi every day on set where he is "surviving" it's just a show and that is a really footage in the credits. I wish I had video of my heli jump.

Oh and two the guy that said a TA SAS guy can't call himself SAS... would you say an Army reserve guy can't call himself a soldier or a Marine Corp reserves guy can't say he is a Marine. Any of them will tell you. You complete training and you are a Marine/Soldier for life whether active or not up until the day you die.

I've been through Marine Corp training. Bunch of fucking assholes, but you earn that shit when it's over.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

All I expect of the guy is him to depict it as surviving alone and hopefully giving us the right information if we are in that situation.

Then let me be the person to tell you that he doesn't even live up to that expectation. As I said before, a lot of what he shows is horrible advice. For example the above water cutaway with RSL attached. That's just wrong on so many levels.

I remember watching one where he decided the best way out of the "situation" was to go down 12 MILES of rapids by holding on to a log. Again, that's so wrong on so many levels it's almost criminally negligent to put it on the air.
quade -

All I expect of the guy is him to depict it as surviving alone and hopefully giving us the right information if we are in that situation.

Then let me be the person to tell you that he doesn't even live up to that expectation. As I said before, a lot of what he shows is horrible advice. For example the above water cutaway with RSL attached. That's just wrong on so many levels.

I remember watching one where he decided the best way out of the "situation" was to go down 12 MILES of rapids by holding on to a log. Again, that's so wrong on so many levels it's almost criminally negligent to put it on the air.

Okay buddy so you are lost in the amazon and nearly dying. i will happily float 12 miles down rapids in a few hours why u spend 3 days walking that distance. You will be dead while i will make it out. You obviously have no survival experience.

Okay buddy so you are lost in the amazon and nearly dying. i will happily float 12 miles down rapids in a few hours why u spend 3 days walking that distance. You will be dead while i will make it out. You obviously have no survival experience.

I have survival experience. Bear Grylls is an idiot and a danger to those who take his advice.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

so AM, whats your advice in that situation.....or why is it wrong on so many levels?

In a survival situation to intentionally go down even a short stretch of rapids with just a log to hold on to is stupid. To suggest people do it for a distance of 12 miles is . . . very stupid.

Hypothermia
Broken Bones
Drowning

It's just stupid.
quade -

... water landing...
You land, PLF if necessary, and then cutaway. ]

PLF ???:S
For a water landing ??

Maybe I'm ill-informed, but that sounds goofy.

... water landing...

For a water landing ??

Makes sense to me, if the water depth is unknown. Or the stuff under the water is unknown. Not all water landings are planned and intentional. :)
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

... water landing...

For a water landing ??

While I don't believe that it is in the SIM, it is suggested that a person PLF when landing in water due to the depth of the water not always being known.

Last thing you want to do is cutaway or splash down hard in water that you think is deep enough...when it is really only 1 ft deep.

Yup. It most certainly is.

USPA SIM 5-1

F. Landing emergencies

Water Hazards

1. Procedures for an unintentional water landing:

a. Continue to steer to avoid the water hazard.

b. Activate the flotation device, if available.

c. Disconnect the chest strap to facilitate getting out of the harness after landing in the water.

d. Disconnect the reserve static line to reduce complications in case the main needs to be cut away after splashing down.

e. Steer into the wind.

f. Loosen the leg straps slightly to facilitate getting out of the harness after splashing down.

(1) If you loosen the leg straps too much, you may not be able to reach the toggles.

(2) Do not unfasten the leg straps.

g. Prepare for a PLF, in case the water is shallow (it will be nearly impossible to determine the depth from above).

h. Flare to half brakes at ten feet above the water (may be difficult to judge, due to poor depth perception over the water).

i. Enter the water with lungs filled.

j. After entering the water, throw your arms back and slide forward out of the harness.

(1) Remain in the harness and attached to the canopy until actually in the water.

(2) If cutting away (known deep water only), do so only after both feet contact the water.

(3) If flotation gear is not used, separation from the equipment is essential.

k. Dive deep and swim out from under the collapsed canopy.

l. If covered by the canopy, follow one seam to the edge of the canopy until clear.

m. In swift or shallow water, pull one toggle in or cut away.

n. Refill your lungs at every opportunity.

o. Swim carefully away upwind or upstream to avoid entangling in the suspension lines.

p. Remove any full coverage helmets in the event of breathing difficulties.

2. If using the Air Force type (LPU) underarm flotation equipment-

a. Although worn underneath, the bladders inflate outside the harness, so removal of the harness is not practical without first deflating the bladders.

b. If you must remove the harness after landing, the bladders should be deflated, extricated from the harness, and reinflated (orally) one at a time.

3. The risks of a water landing are greatly increased when a jumper wears additional weights to increase fall rate.

4. Camera flyers, skysurfers, and other skydivers carrying additional equipment on a jump need to plan their water landing procedures accordingly.

5. Other references

a. SIM Section 2-1, USPA Basic Safety Requirements on water jumping equipment

b. SIM Section 6-5, Water Landing Recommendations (unintentional and intentional)
Muff #5048

Why do you say the Marines were assholes in training ? Most guys i know admit that they themselves were the assholes and the Marines helped straighten their sorry ass's out !!.. I just have a problem with shitting on our armed services,,,are they perfect, no ,,but who and what is...once again , no respect.:S[:/] What did you expect when you went in ? >:(

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Why do you say the Marines were assholes in training ? Most guys i know admit that they themselves were the assholes and the Marines helped straighten their sorry ass's out !!.. I just have a problem with shitting on our armed services,,,are they perfect, no ,,but who and what is...once again , no respect.:S[:/] What did you expect when you went in ? >:(

I was in the Marines and the drill instructors are assholes, but it was to be expected when you went in, if they were all nice then we wouldn't end up being Marines by the end of boot camp, we'd be soldiers :P

for all the Army guys, I'm just kidding :D

Not replying to anyone in particular, but it's almost like Bear is demonstrating (most times in direct contraindication to proper survival techniques) combat type escape and evasion manuevers????

Maybe that could explain rationale behind his technique? As for cutting away above the water, a definite no-no. Typically most everyone has trouble judging height above water. Bad idea.