airdweller

Would you jump without your AAD

I was reading through some of the AAD posts and it got me thinking.

Say your 4 or 8 year AAD checkup was due,

i.e you have to send it back to the manufacturer.

Would you jump your rig without your AAD?

Just Curious
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Yes, both TLML and I have done so.

We had almost 400 jumps before we each got the other a CYPRES for Valentine's Day one year.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

When you make the decision to use an AAD, you are making that decision so that in the case of emergency, you might be saved. If you send it off to the mfg, you should consider why you chose to have one in the first place before you decide to jump without one. I was convinced to buy one by my boyfriend after some serious discussion about things that could go wrong in freefall, and people who have passed out after being kicked in the head and corked on, etc, and woken up in a tree because their cypres saved them.

Personally, I would have to think about jumping w/o a cypres for freefly as it is risky which is why I bought the cypres. I'd probably stick to hop n pops for a while if my cypres were out... it'd give me some needed canopy time anyhow:)

-A

I, and many others, made thousands of jumps without them before they became the norm. So I suppose it's a generational thing. So yes, I wouldn't think twice about jumping sans AAD.

And besides the better parachute lofts should have loaner AADs for when yours gets sent in for maintenance.

NickD :)BASE 194

My cypress ran out of time last summer, so yes I will be jumping without one until I can come up with the cash to get another one. I made about 300 jumps in the 70's without one, so it's something I've done before. I think I'll probably invest in a vigil next time around.

If I had a back rating I'd be tempted to put my old cypress back in, even though it is out of date. But then again I am kind of an imoral bastard....Steve1

No.

I am a single mother of two boys that lost their dad in a skydiving accident. It wouldn't be fair to them to lose me too.

I too learned how to skydive way before ADDs were used, but since then my life has changed and I have to be responsible for finishing a job I started 19 years ago.

I try to time my cypress check ups during the winter when I'm not doing much jumping. The check up doesn't take long, and it's back in my rig before I know it.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Personally, I would have to think about jumping w/o a cypres for freefly as it is risky which is why I bought the cypres. I'd probably stick to hop n pops for a while if my cypres were out... it'd give me some needed canopy time anyhow:)

Same here. I currently don't have my cypres, but i still jump. I just won't do freefly jumps with newbies til my cypres comes back from its 4yr.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I just got my Cypres back from it's 4-year but I'm not opening my reserve to put it back in until the reserve is due.

I have been jumping without it and it hasn't changed my skydiving at all.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Well, I think an AAD is a backup and I have well over 1000 jumps W/O one... I can safely say I would jump with out one. With one I am 100% sure that I turn it on though, it is an extra level of safety that is nice to have, nothing to rely on but nice to have......

Scott C
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I normally jump with an AAD.. but it came time for the AAD in the rig I was using to be checked. We removed the AAD and closed the rig (after a repack). I have since jumped with it a few times.. I do keep the idea that there is no AAD in the back of my mind... no second chance.. and I've noticed that I'm more stringent on the type of jumps I do (no freefly, RW, etc) where kicks and bumps are more likely to happen. It's bad to say this.. but I think that we may be inclined to take an extra chance or two while wearing an AAD simply because there is that extra security blanket "just in case" something were to happen... "it'll save me!". I'm not saying it's right.. just that it "is". Anyone else feel similar or different?
Tan-I, AFF-I, S&TA, Freefall Photographer, Skydive University Coach

... no second chance..

Khm. I`d rather call it last chance......

I had 50+ jumps without AAD: hop`n`pop and RW too. I`ve proved myself in EP before.

Jumping shouldn`t be about AAD.

Once I had a jump with a gear having PPKU,old mechanical AAD. I`ve forgot to arm it onboard. I`ve noticed it just after landing. I`ve realized that I`m not depending on AAD anymore...

I think that we may be inclined to take an extra chance or two while wearing an AAD simply because there is that extra security blanket "just in case" something were to happen... "it'll save me!". I'm not saying it's right.. just that it "is".

When it "is", it is 'right" as far as I'm concerned.
I think it is inevitable and anybody who says that for him or her this isn't the case is 'in denial' :P

One of the leading scholars about automobile safety in the Netherlands once said that the main frustration in his line of work was that due to psychological reasons ('personal levels of risk acceptance') every time they invented a gadget to make driving safer it seemed that the drivers themselves found new ways they would never have thought about without it, to make the activity more dangerous. The classic example there was the Ford Scorpio, the first car on the dutch market that had ABS. When winter hit that season it was reported that a lot of drivers with brand new Scorpio's ended up in the ditch next to the road after overtaking the 'snow/service cars' - something one just didn't do in pre-ABS times...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...