riggerrob

Best single-engined jump plane?

I voted porter as i have had nothing but good times out off them. They are not small or too large where you can have a laugh with everyone, the climb pretty fast and you dont half get some seriously crazy ass pilots :D. O yes the large sliding door very easy for anyone to exit:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I jump at Langar, and the Grand Caravan is the best single engine jumpship as fare as I know.

Even with just 5 jumpers in the dropzone midweek, the Caravan will go up.
With 9-11 jumpers onboard and with pilots as capable as those at Langar, the aircraft goes to 13,000-14,000ft really fast.

With full load of 15-16 jumpers the rate of climb is slower but still better even from twin engine turboprop Skyvan.

I am Aerospace Systems Engineer and as fare as I know the Caravan is the best Single engine aircraft, one dropzone can have:

Its lift capacity is nearly the same to one twin engine civilian jumpship.
It has the most cost effective (low fuel consumption turboprop, burns cheap jet fuel) and reliable engine available.
Even in emergency situation, can easily glide and land safely as dragon2 said.

The only bad thing is the initial acquition cost, must be over $1,200,000+ various modifications for the various skydiving disciplines and the static line jumpers.

http://www.benair.com/Cessna%20Caravan_files/2006%20Caravan%20675%20Specification%20%26%20Description%20SN%20396%20and%20on_1.pdf

Jump planes are like women. The one I'm with now is the most beautiful, sweet, and wonderful thing I've ever encountered in my life.

I love jumping from the Beaver, its loud and slow, but sturdy.

The 185 is not so loud, but fun because it seems the pilot is within talking distance.

Caravan, good, fun,

Porter, crowded, fast, flexible

PAC, nice in every regard.

I love'm all.

Can't wait to jump an AN-2 and a bunch of the others listed.

I voted for the PAC, even though the door is a little small.

MH

Porters for the massive door, bitchin' climb rate and being so easy to float.

PAC 750 for taking more people and still having a bitchin' climb rate.

Agreed, the Pac750XL takes 14 to altitude with tandems on board and gets there in 15 minutes or less even in the Califonia heat.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Whatever flies during the week too! The DZ used to have a 206. If no one was around, two of us would split the 3rd spot ($8 each -- yes, it's been gone a while) to make it fly all day if no one else was around -- at 12k.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Ours doesn't.

I don't think its as fast as the PACs and Porters I've jumped either

(Someone else mentioned the TurboFinist - that's worth a mention during winter months for having a completely draughtproof door. Toasty:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I vote the Antonov....

Simply because every time I've ever jumped it I felt like a part of history. Takes forever to get to alti but what an experience.

Anything else I vote the 208.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Rob, did you intentionally leave the Cessna 182 off the list?

I like the C-182 because it helped skydiving grow to the sport we know today. Re-engined to 300HP and with other available mods, an early wide-body 182 can carry 6 jumpers plus a pilot. A stock narrow-body 182 with a jump door & step puts opening a dropzone into the reach of many who could otherwise never afford it.

No real favorites here, I'll jump anything that gets me to altitude! :P

Lance

I jump at Langar, and the Grand Caravan is the best single engine jumpship as fare as I know.

With 9-11 jumpers onboard and with pilots as capable as those at Langar, the aircraft goes to 13,000-14,000ft really fast.

With full load of 15-16 jumpers the rate of climb is slower but still better even from twin engine turboprop Skyvan.

I am Aerospace Systems Engineer and as fare as I know the Caravan is the best Single engine aircraft, one dropzone can have:

Its lift capacity is nearly the same to one twin engine civilian jumpship.
It has the most cost effective (low fuel consumption turboprop, burns cheap jet fuel) and reliable engine available.
Even in emergency situation, can easily glide and land safely as dragon2 said.

The only bad thing is the initial acquition cost, must be over $1,200,000+ various modifications for the various skydiving disciplines and the static line jumpers.

http://www.benair.com/Cessna%20Caravan_files/2006%20Caravan%20675%20Specification%20%26%20Description%20SN%20396%20and%20on_1.pdf

With 5 jumpers you are maybe breaking even.

I question its ability to match the lift capacity of a super otter or a fast king air.

What exactly is "cheap" jet fuel and where are you getting it, cause everywhere we seem to look, jet fuel is fuckin expensive :(

Anyways, the PAC is a more cost effective solution, it is smaller though.

Most planes can land safely under loss of power.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I question its ability to match the lift capacity of a super otter or a fast king air.

AFAIK, Super Otter's and King Air's have two engines and thus DQ'd from this topic.

You are very correct. Super Otters and King Airs are both multi engine aircraft. I was refering to the fact that the poster I quoted stated a caravan has "nearly" the same lift capacity.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka