EricTheRed

What are your odds of dieing?

all this chart did was count the death toll and divide into the US population. Not the participant population.

exactly. skydiving isn't in there because its a very small cause of death among 99% whuffos. its kinda hard to die of something you haven't done.

MB 3528, RB 1182

all this chart did was count the death toll and divide into the US population. Not the participant population.

Exactly. Pick a random person from the population, and this chart presents their chances. If this chart were restricted to skydivers, then there would probably be subcategories.

Think about the birthday effect:
Get 25 people in a room, and there's about a 50% chance that two of them share a birthday. The odds of them sharing your birthday, however, are about 7%.

Think about the birthday effect:
Get 25 people in a room, and there's about a 50% chance that two of them share a birthday. The odds of them sharing your birthday, however, are about 7%.

Are you referring to birthday or birthmonth in your calculation?

more correctly, your odds of death are exactly 1:1.

Just a question of when and how.

Today is not a good day to die (tommorow isn't looking that great either)

;)

Question to experienced jumpers: when can I downsize my deathload?:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Are you referring to birthday or birthmonth in your calculation?

Definately Birthday. With 25 people in the room, there's a 100% chance that two of them share the month (thanks to the pigeonhole principle, we actually know that there are 3 in the room with the same month). That there is a 50% chance of them sharing the same day goes against intuition.

Here's a more thorough description, but in the light of morning, I forget why I thought it related to this thread. (er, I remember why I thought it related: the answer is beer.)

100%

Exactly, you will die eventually.

I for one am tired of all this talk of odds of dying. What would you rather die of? Cancer, sudden heart attack, car crash, hunting accident, drowning, or Skydiving?

I would say that your odds of enjoying life and gaining a newer appreciation for life from skydiving are far greater and worth so much more than in comparison to the worrying over the odds of dying.

Be safe and have fun.

one might assume it "falls" in under this....Wink

Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place, Y30 /103 / 2,795,546 / 36,165

The above list falls under the following:
Event of undetermined intent, Y10-Y34, Y87.2, Y89.9

I would think a skydive would be a "determined" intent

one might assume it "falls" in under this....Wink

Falling, jumping, or pushed from a high place, Y30 /103 / 2,795,546 / 36,165

The above list falls under the following:
Event of undetermined intent, Y10-Y34, Y87.2, Y89.9

I would think a skydive would be a "determined" intent

sure....take a perfectly good pun and pick it apart ;):P

Like a buddy of mine says, "My plan is to live forever... so far... so good..."

:P

I say "I plan to live forever, or die trying!

Looks like fishing (drowning) is more dangerous than skydiving after all! Whenever the subject of dying skydiving comes up, I point out that fishing is more dangerous. Virtually everyone knows of someone who died in a boating/swimming/drowning (which I lump into "fishing") accident.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ