kelpdiver

Your rig have an RSL?

Just to get a decent WAG on RSL usage. Let's say Skyhooks and Colin's lanyards are same as plain jane RSLs, and not worry if you are on one side of the fence 60% of the time or 99.9%. And this would apply to you for 2005 onward, not what you may have done in the past.

Let's stick to the other threads for the arguing, though if you're picking the minority option more than 5% of the time (CRW, camera, whatever), feel free to write how you decide.

Yep have an RWS RSL and it connected, but no AAD at present, so in Oz if you are not and E license you need either an AAD OR an RSL. and they are to be functioning:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I havent had one since about jump number 200. an instructor i would almost always go to gave me the advice that i should leave it connected until i have my first cut away. i did a little more digging for info to make my decision and finally decided to ditch my RSL. i had a cut away on jump number 230. no RSL required. i want to tell my reserve when to deploy. im more confident than ever that i dont want one.
what!?

I would secretely disconnect mine as a student. But that was when it was a long connection to the belly mount reserve. The thought of the handle getting ripped out of my hand or smacking me in the face was not comforting.

OK, not very useful info for the modern world. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Had one, had two cut aways where I didnt need it (one of which the RSL deployed my reserve after a spinning on my back malfunction)

Dont need it, dont want it. No more RSL for me ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Had one, had two cut aways where I didnt need it (one of which the RSL deployed my reserve after a spinning on my back malfunction)

And haw was your forced reserve opening?
Ok I assume so the RSL did it's work

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

And haw was your forced reserve opening?
Ok I assume so the RSL did it's work

I'm guessing that it worked... Like I said, I had the dring pulled before I felt reserve ... The point is that I also worked, performed my EPs without any problem ;) Dont need the RSL, never have needed it, and hopefully never will since I dont have it anymore :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

OK, not very useful info for the modern world.

Sure it is, as it brings up at least in my mind still, a LEGITIMATE "thought process" none-the-less for AWARENESS. For instance, I was gear-checking a just off AFF novice this past weekend who had JUST bought his own gear. It was an original Vector (IIRC). The RSL on this set up was (IS in this case still) an "exposed" length (about 4-5" in my estimation) of RSL attached (or supposed to be 'attached") by velcro over the RH shoulder portion of the harness/yoke. The velcro was worn & the RSL between attachment point was looped and again, "EXPOSED". In that instance I too felt better that the RSL be disconnected (or not jumped at all until) & the rig looked at by a RIGGER.

Not everybody jumps absolutely the MOST modern of gear even still, and it is incumbent upon ALL OF US to know/understand thy gear! ...The very gear we are supposedly "relying upon" to save our lives!

I'm glad you posted this! :)-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>if someone takes my canopy out at 500ft I'll be the one with the
>fully inflated reserve at 430ft (hopefully)

Yikes! I sure hope you haven't decided that you can cut away at 500 feet and live!

Let's say you see your altimeter: 500 feet. Now, no altimeter is really that accurate, so you're really at 400 feet. You look up and - wham! - someone flies into your canopy and destroys it. 350 feet. It takes you only half a second to realize what happened and that you have to cut away. 300 feet. You drop the toggles, reach down to find the cutaway handle. 250 feet. You grab it and pull. 150 feet. The Skyhook does its thing and pulls the reserve out. 120 feet.

Your reserve is now beginning to deploy. You're doing about 40mph downwards, and you're accelerating. Will you get an inflated canopy within 120 feet (<2 seconds?) Maybe, but that's an awful big risk to take.

I hope I'd never had to, but I tell u what, if I was under 1000ft on any standard rig with or without an rsl and my canopy was destroyed u only have one option- pull silver and get fabric over head. The reserve may never come out of its bag if your not going fast enough, or it may entangle with whats left of your main. Basically its not good, u know that your 100 times more experienced.

A skyhook gives me the option of getting rid of the bag of shit above me and putting a FULLY INFLATED reserve above my head in less than 100ft. I'll take your point on board and rephrase my point ..under a grand its one hell of an option don't u think?
But no I wouldn't be trying it at 300ft, even though your point is semi -inaccurate as I'm sure your aware there have been 2 demo's from sub 150ft ( slider down admittedly):| But like I said I wouldn't be trying it that low:P

P.s i wouldn't be wasting time looking at an alti which could be 200ft out if i was in shit at low level
--------------------------------------------------
Practise the 6 P's!
--------------------------------------------------

>But no I wouldn't be trying it at 300ft, even though your point is
>semi -inaccurate as I'm sure your aware there have been 2 demo's
> from sub 150ft ( slider down admittedly.)

Of course. I've jumped from ~300ft - but that was with very different gear, and I knew the altitude with great accuracy. The Skyhook is a great development in skydiving gear, but I hope it doesn't give people the false confidence that they can chop at any altitude and live.

I can pull silver. I have an RSL. I'm betting that the chance that I'll be low and dirty on a cutaway is greater than the chance that an RSL will do the wrong thing.

It's a crapshoot -- I have airbags in my car, too, even though I'm 5'4" and under.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have one and have decided to keep it connected until I have my first cutaway. I trust myself that I will pull the right handles when it counts, but so did people who are now deceased due to cuting away and then doing nothing until impact.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I've got a Micron with a skyhook no AAD.

I've got a Javelin with an RSL and AAD.

I've got a Racer with no RSL and AAD.

Rotate through them pretty regularly. I jump the Micron the most. I'd like to get a Vigil for it but can't afford it right now.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer