joebud321

what injurys have u had?...what did u learn?

i consider myself very lucky so far....i had a really deep spot on jump 129 and tried to get back to the DZ....ran out ov altitude and field (barbed wire fence) I was running down wind and tried to make a flat turn!! 90degress to miss the fence...flared to much!!! canopy collapsed an dove in to the ground.. fractured spine...2 weeks trying to eat cornflaks on ur back is no joke...and 6 months rehab!!B|

lesson learnt:.....to deap??!!..pick a good spot and land it!!!;)

Two broken legs.

cause: thinking i had just enough altitude to make a turn.

lesson learnt: If in doubt don't do it...
(although I also learnt that if you ask lots of people to get you a dose of morphine thinking only one is going to actually do it then you get a quick ride back up to altitude :ph34r: )

2 compression fractures on lower lumbar, disloacted hip and really bad whip lash.

I learned not to expose more then one or two new elements to a skydive regardless of my confidence level. I learned that the bigger canopies are very forgiving towards injury, thus helping me not want to downsize to fast. I learned that I can think somewhat straight under duress, and I hope that in the future I will react the same way.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Very badly sprained ankle and ripped ligaments....after tripping over playing basketball on a bad weather day at the DZ !
Lesson....skydiving is dangerous......bad weather day activities can be just as bad...
When someone says.....'I'm bored...lets try....'
.........question it;)

Neck strain. Lesson? it's 2 folds on the nose when flatpacking my Firefly, not 1.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In 21 years I have sustained only minor injuries. Only twice that I recall have I been injured to the point of being grounded, and then not for more than a few weeks.

The worst of my injuries was a bruised tailbone and pelvis, along with sprained lower back muscles after a hard landing doing a demo. The spot was waaay long (my fault), and I ate up a TON of altitude making the landing area. I amped out and turned in too tight (plenty of altitude though), did a quick figure eight, and found myself in a very bad place - landing in the crowd. I did what amounted to a very hard turn to avoid the crowd, took out a showline speaker pole (sheared it off), and slammed in on my right butt cheek and tailbone. I couldn't feel that cheek for about three hours, and I was walking very gingerly, but my x-rays the next day revealed nothing broken or out of place.

After showing off some very entertaining bruises for the next couple of weeks, I was back in the air again.
Arrive Safely

John

- Polytrauma (1)
- Cont. thorac. non rec. (2)
- Cont. cord. non rec. (3)
- Commotio cerebri non rec. (4)
- Fract. vert. LII operat. [Typ C] (5)
- Fract. vert. LIII operat. (6)
- Fract. vert. LIV operat. [Typ C] (7)
- Fract. vert. LV operat. [Typ B] (8)
- Fract. apert. cruc. dist. dext. operat. (9)
- Fract. apert. calcan. dext. fixat. (10)
- Fract. apert. calcan. sin. operat. (11)
- Fract. cost. I sin. non rec. (12)
- Haematopneumothorax non rec. (13)

Cool can quite well kill you.

I was part of the national 4 way team (videoman), jumping a 105sqft high performance main, regretting that I had not gone for the 95. I was hottest thing since sliced bread. Swooping any and everything. We all bought new systems and I naturally bought the smallest container for my main and then bought a reserve that would fit in there, reconing that if I can handle a 88sqft (been there, done that) main then a 108 reserve cannot be a problem (WL over 1.85). I was one cooooooool ou with eight o's. I was invincible!

As per all fun events in aviation, three things happened. I went low while taking part in a big way, I had line-twists on the main where a cut-away was the best/only option and I had a pressure-knot in lines of my reserve.

with a 170 reserve I might have limped away,
with a 150 reserve I might have broken a leg or two,
with a 108 reserve, see the above

Lesson learned: stuff around all you like (naturally within reason and your capabilities) with your main, but always choose a reserve that will get you down safely.

regards, heal quick, jump again
charlie

1) stuffed everything up pretty well
2) of everything the upper body took quite a beating
3) of the upper body the heart came off worst; stopped beating for a while, but there's nothing like 220V across the nipples to get it up and running again
4) the brain got knocked around a bit too: Doctor: it's OK, he should be normal again; Girlfriend: fantastic, because he wasn't normal beforehand :)
5) lumbar vertebrae 2 is bone dust
6) lumbar vertebrae 3 a few fractures
7) lumbar vertebrae 4 is bone dust
8) lumbar vertebrae 5 too many fractures to count, not enough to be bone dust
9) complex fracture of the right leg, tib went out one side fib out the other
10) broken right heel
11) broken left heel, got pushed clean out of the side of my foot
12) a rib bought it too
13) and there was some internal bleeding that needed to be syphoned off

--
If you haven't killed yourself doing it, its not a sport... its a game. (sorry PhreeZone);)

Jump 29 : Hairline fracture to right index finger.

After a very bad spot, I realised high I wasn't getting anywhere, picked my landing area by 2k, flew a perfect pattern but didn't quite allow enough for the increase in speed as I dropped below the level of the treeline at the end of my nice big flat field. Slight S off, ended up closer to the edge of the field than planned but still plenty of space and really nice landing in what had become practically nil winds behind the trees. Canopy collapsed forwards and the pilot chute (at almost the full extension of its bridle) managed to fall into the stream I had seen in front of me at the very edge of the field.

While attempting to pull the PC out of the stream, slipped on the bank and cracked my finger on a rock trying to save myself. >:(

Lessons learned :
- Spring loaded pilot chute full of water is heavy.
- Banks of streams are slippy
- While pulling heavy objects on slippy ground, it is more likely that your feet will move than the heavy thing.
- The skydive's not over till you're back in the hangar.
- Always bring spare socks and shoes

and :

- Minor injuries to fingers, hands etc are not ridiculed as much as you'd expect if you are jumping a rental kit with CYPRES 1 and as a result of you cracking your finger you have at least kept the CYPRES 1 dry.

;)

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

Since we are talking about learning something from this, think about these additional parts. Think about how your canopy was positioned to the relative wind. How would it react ?

I was running down wind and tried to make a flat turn!! 90degress to miss the fence...flared to much!!! canopy collapsed an dove in to the ground

When you turned 90 deg from downwind, your canopy was probably angled to one side. The wind was previously behind you. Now the wind is pressing on the top skin of the canopy.

In a normal wind, it will cause the canopy to dive faster than expected and scare the pee out of you if you haven't had that experience before.

In a stronger wind, it could cause it to fold.

Spiral fracture fibula, jump 273. Lessons learned: 1. don't rush; 1b. if I am missing major standard pieces of skydiving equipment, I shouldn't jump because it means I rushed. 2. I'm not as good as I think I am. 3. four months of not jumping sucks. 4. two months of not being able to carry anything sucks. 5. returning to jumping after 4 months off is not as adrenaline-pumpingly scary as I had hoped it would be.

Sacrolumbar strain, while riding in a boat instead of skydiving. Lessons learned: 1. I need to spend more time skydiving and less time boating. 2. when the boat starts skipping on the waves, No, you can't just speed up to make it better. 3. The guy with the steering wheel has more to hold onto in a boat so he doesn't bounce as high. 4. don't go too fast in salt water. 5. thinking I have a broken spine sucks major. 6. finding out I don't have a broken spine is the greatest news I've ever heard. 7. "minor" back injuries can hurt. A lot. For quite some time.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.