2 2
brenthutch

Woke pandering backfires

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

You are mad at Target for something they didn't do, just because you heard it from somebody else.

That's a given.  All that stink over Dylan Mulvaney came from people who have never seen that beer can, and who generally don't drink Bud Light.  The stink over the black mermaid came from people who have never seen the movie.  The stink over Target came from people who believe they saw something that doesn't exist.   Keep in mind that the primary purpose of all this is outrage, not any actual change.

You would totally get swept up in fighting for Woolworth's right to prohibit black people from eating at the lunch counter. There is absolutely no way you would stick your neck out for the rights of a minority.

Of course; that's also a given.  

Just like 15 to 20 years from now you will be telling your grandchildren how you always fought for the rights of the LGBTQ population.

That requires some introspection.  I think it's more likely people like that will be saying "yeah, well, I wasn't fighting against LGBT people.  I have LGBT friends!  I was fighting against the people at Target putting their HANDS down kids' PANTS to make them TRANS!  Are you OK With that?"

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That's a given.  All that stink over Dylan Mulvaney came from people who have never seen that beer can, and who generally don't drink Bud Light.  The stink over the black mermaid came from people who have never seen the movie.  The stink over Target came from people who believe they saw something that doesn't exist.   Keep in mind that the primary purpose of all this is outrage, not any actual change.

Of course; that's also a given.  

That requires some introspection.  I think it's more likely people like that will be saying "yeah, well, I wasn't fighting against LGBT people.  I have LGBT friends!  I was fighting against the people at Target putting their HANDS down kids' PANTS to make them TRANS!  Are you OK With that?"

Well, straight high school girls are contemplating suicide because there are trans people in their locker rooms. Nikki Haley said so, so it must be true. She was only called out for a handful of lies, surely this wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

...Just like 15 to 20 years from now you will be telling your grandchildren how you always fought for the rights of the LGBTQ population  Fought against the big oil companies out to destroy the environment. Fought against coal companies who refused to protect their workers. The coal companies that bought off republicans to keep the coal flowing. Long after it was economical to even use it.

FIFY

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

..Just like 15 to 20 years from now you will be telling your grandchildren how you always fought for the rights of the LGBTQ population.

Nah.

He'll just be in favor of passing laws against teaching any history that 'makes straight people feel uncomfortable'.

You know, kinda like Florida is passing laws about teaching history.

There's a meme out there something like:

The people that threw rocks at Ruby Bridges for trying to go to school are passing laws to prevent their grandchildren from learning about them throwing rocks at a little girl trying to go to school.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

You are mad at Target for something they didn't do, just because you heard it from somebody else. You would totally get swept up in fighting for Woolworth's right to prohibit black people from eating at the lunch counter. There is absolutely no way you would stick your neck out for the rights of a minority.

Just like 15 to 20 years from now you will be telling your grandchildren how you always fought for the rights of the LGBTQ population.

I’m not mad at Target, I am indifferent as I don’t shop there (my wife does). I am just pointing out another case of “woke pandering backfires”.  Apparently you are so distressed over this simple fact that you are lashing out and implying that I am a racist. (Typical lefty tactic).  BillV is so upset that he is rewriting history to fit his SJW world view. (And to imply I am a racist)

22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s literally the title of the OP.

The title should indeed have been:

I bought the lie about Target because I have been told trans people are bad and groom children and I enjoy feeding into the right wing hate, cause it makes me feel superior.

Long title, I know, but history shows that all those letters after the title don't really get to you.

The latest in the “go woke go broke” chronicles 

“AB InBev said Thursday that US revenue fell 10% in the second quarter as sales of its top brand slumped. Sales to US retailers declined by 14%, under-performing the wider beer industry, primarily due to the decline in the volume of Bud Light it sold, the company said in a statement.”

”Ford Motor said Thursday pushed back production targets for its electric vehicles, citing slower-than-expected adoption”

“Ford said it expects a Model e EBIT loss of $4.5 billion for the full year, up from its earlier forecast of a $3 billion loss for all of 2023.”

6 minutes ago, lippy said:

Yeah, when will it ever be Mens’ turn to shine?!?!?  

I know!!!! I can't BELIEVE anyone would portray men as simplistic or one dimensional!!!!!  How dare they!  

Now go get a hot chick for Maverick for the next Top Gun movie.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

I know!!!! I can't BELIEVE anyone would portray men as simplistic or one dimensional!!!!!  How dare they!  

Now go get a hot chick for Maverick for the next Top Gun movie.

Yep, the Barbie production was so anti-man that Ryan Gosling is odds on to one-dimension himself all the way to an Oscar nomination - more so than Margot Robbie!

Most women in the business would kill to be on the receiving end of that kind of sexism.

I never would have went to see Barbie on my own….I wouldn’t have actively avoided it, but I don’t see a lot of movies and this wasn’t anything special as far as I figured. I went to see it with my wife and it’s a fucking great film…the poking fun at traditional gender roles (I.e. representing men poorly) was on point while still keeping things light and fun. 

19 minutes ago, lippy said:

I never would have went to see Barbie on my own….I wouldn’t have actively avoided it, but I don’t see a lot of movies and this wasn’t anything special as far as I figured. I went to see it with my wife and it’s a fucking great film…the poking fun at traditional gender roles (I.e. representing men poorly) was on point while still keeping things light and fun. 

Hi lippy,

This might be one reason why she wanted to see it:  'Barbie' is the only billion-dollar blockbuster solely directed by a woman

'Barbie' is in the billion dollar club, the only film solely directed by a woman : NPR

Jerry Baumchen

3 hours ago, lippy said:

I had no interest until I saw the trailers, and found the visuals to be stunning.

The mechanics of movie filming/editing is a fascination of mine.

20 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I had no interest until I saw the trailers, and found the visuals to be stunning.

The mechanics of movie filming/editing is a fascination of mine.

I'm still totally backed up on seeing all of the Shrek movies and one or two of the polka dotted fish flicks. I need to get caught up, for sure.