5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

35 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

During the 20th century, the Canadian and American Armies assisted civilians in getting their hands on full-bore military rifles.

When I was a child growing up we would play in the attic where a Lee-Enfield .303 was stored. One of my favourite things to hold and wonder over. There was no ammo up there thankfully.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

According to a trans activist, the real tragedy of the school shooting was the “dead naming” and “misgendering” of the perpetrator.

And according to an anti-woke activist speaking at an anti-trans school board meeting, all trans people should be murdered.

"God gave them over to a depraved mind so that they do what they should not be doing.  They invent ways of doing evil. But let me remind you that those who do such things deserve death."

So perhaps for this anti-woke guy, school shootings are OK as long as the _right_ kids are killed?

https://news.yahoo.com/speaker-wishes-death-lgbtq-people-193304156.html

Here's a sign of the times. Under Kentucky law the weapon used in this weeks mass murder must be turned over to the state which is obligated to sell it so that it goes back into circulation. I shit you not, someone will own this as a souvenir because, well you tell me why.......  

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/12/1169557476/louisville-shooting-greenberg-rifle-auction-kentucky-law-gun-violence-us

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

April 13th, 2023

Here we are: 103 days into the new year and we have amassed 147 mass shootings to date (but, the day is just beginning).

213 killed. 566 injured.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to reconsider the handling of these events.
Instead of waisting time with thoughts and prayers or feeling bad for people who are dead anyway. (There are too many people walking on this planet anyway)
Why not embrace these shootings as part of american culture and celebrate the flawless working of these magnificently engineered weapons and their manufacturers?

Disclaimer: The above text may contain traces of sarcasm.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

April 13th, 2023

Here we are: 103 days into the new year and we have amassed 147 mass shootings to date (but, the day is just beginning).

213 killed. 566 injured.

What in the serious fuck is going on in this country. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

You know perfectly well that the GOP is the only obstacle to doing something about it.  Until the GOP can break itself from the clutches of the gun lobby nothing will happen.  Even the majority of GOP rank and file support (for example) universal background checks but the GOP pols are so tied to the $$ that they won't do anything about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

...  Even the majority of GOP rank and file support (for example) universal background checks but the GOP pols are so tied to the $$ that they won't do anything about it.

Just out of curiosity, how many of these shootings would 'universal background checks' prevent?

How many of the weapons were purchased through the existing system that included a background check?

As I've said before, I have no idea how to stop these shootings.

But one thing I REALLY don't want to see is some sort of draconian gun control legislation passed that:

A - does nothing to stop the shootings
B - motivates the gun owners to vote out the Ds and install the Rs (like happened in 96).

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

April 13th, 2023

213 killed. 566 injured.

Too many registered Republicans with the smarts of Boebert and Greene who can be motivated to vote against their own interests by the big money, right wing machine. But you already knew that. Instead of bemoaning what is essentially a political problem that can only be solved on a macro scale, change your party affiliation and encourage every right winger to do so as well.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Too many registered Republicans with the smarts of Boebert and Greene who can be motivated to vote against their own interests by the big money, right wing machine. But you already knew that. Instead of bemoaning what is essentially a political problem that can only be solved on a macro scale, change your party affiliation and encourage every right winger to do so as well.

Imagine the scenario where Bigun goes to a GOP political event. Then starts to espouse his views on gun control. Do you think his life would be in danger?

Its more than the money. For the GOP the gun base is so central to sustaining power. That there is not likely a single issue that is larger......OK money is right there next to guns.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil1111 said:

Imagine the scenario where Bigun goes to a GOP political event. Then starts to espouse his views on gun control. Do you think his life would be in danger?

Its more than the money. For the GOP the gun base is so central to sustaining power. That there is not likely a single issue that is larger......OK money is right there next to guns.

I suspect he'd be very safe whereas they'd likely kick my scrawny ass out the door. The dearth of decent starting points is the real problem and I just don't think letter writing to a Blue State legislator is worth doing. I see it as a big scheme of things issue: we need a lot more voters who aren't registered Republican to be pandered to by more benign special interests. At the end of the day, if we really care about our democracy, do we want more AOC's and the squad or more maniacs like Greene, Boebert, Jordan, and Glosar? 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

I see it as a big scheme of things issue: we need a lot more voters who aren't registered Republican to be pandered to by more benign special interests.

Or, you could change parties and fight the enemy from within <smile>

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Here's a sign of the times. Under Kentucky law the weapon used in this weeks mass murder must be turned over to the state which is obligated to sell it so that it goes back into circulation. I shit you not, someone will own this as a souvenir because, well you tell me why.......  

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/12/1169557476/louisville-shooting-greenberg-rifle-auction-kentucky-law-gun-violence-us

If I were the sheriff or chief of police in that district, I would lay a beating on the murder weapon - with a large and heavy hammer - before handing it to the auctioneer.

IOW destroy the gun or render it inoperative before handing it to the auctioneer.

• Like 1

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

I was a registered Republican for over 40 yrs; it did not work.

Jerry Baumchen

Even the bravest military man is eventually worn down. I applaud you for your brave service in both the GOP and the military. At least you can celebrate one good battle won.

10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

April 13th, 2023

213 killed. 566 injured.

Hi Keith,

I'm thinking we are looking at it wrongly.

If you consider that over half of the electorate is NOT a member of the GOP, then the odds are that most of the people getting killed are the Dems + the Independents => libs.  That's a plus for the GOP.

Jerry Baumchen

8 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

Maybe someone did not like the birthday presents:  4 dead in shooting at Alabama birthday party for 16-year-old - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

From the story:

“What we’ve dealt with is something that no community should have to endure. I just ask for your patience. It’s going to be a long process, but I do earnestly solicit your prayers,” Floyd said.

Funny how many communities are enduring 'what no community should have to endure'.

Almost like it's expected these days or something.

And, as always, 'thoughts and prayers.'

For all the fucking good they do.

• Like 1

So according to conservatives, the real threat to kids is irresponsible gun owners and beer cans.

As an example of responsible gun ownership, GOP governor Kristi Noem announced that her 18 month old granddaughter has been given a shotgun and a rifle.  

And no, this is not satire.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

So according to conservatives, the real threat to kids is irresponsible gun owners and beer cans.

As an example of responsible gun ownership, GOP governor Kristi Noem announced that her 18 month old granddaughter has been given a shotgun and a rifle.  I wonder if Kristi will regale us with a tale of how her granddaughter was also horrified when she saw a picture of a trans woman on her beer can.

Imagine if they start using pictures of the dead children and the wounds they died from on shite beer brands.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jakee said:

Sometimes you wonder if gun laws are even the most immediate problem compared to insanely permissive 'self defense' laws.

Black teen rings doorbell, gets shot twice, and the police haven't even decided yet if a crime was committed.

Indeed. How that isn't a slam dunk crime as reported is insane.

How do people think this is even remotely normal?