5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

But most of the people are blue.

Gallup. On December 17, 2020, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrats, 25% identified as Republicans, and 41% as Independent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states#:~:text=or the other.-,Gallup,%2C and 41% as Independent.

We better keep a close eye on them thar Independents. Who knows what sneaky shit they're up to. :) 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Gallup. On December 17, 2020, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrats, 25% identified as Republicans, and 41% as Independent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states#:~:text=or the other.-,Gallup,%2C and 41% as Independent.

We better keep a close eye on them thar Independents. Who knows what sneaky shit they're up to. :) 

Hi Keith,

Well, as one, I do know that the vast majority in Oregon tend to the liberal side of any issue.  Most of the non-affiliated here in Oregon were former Democrats.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Sure, but only the SCOTUS can do that. No other body has the power to interpret the constitution in a legally binding way. The 2nd Amendment has very few words and is fairly clear except for this one sentence only provides a tiny amount of wiggle room. Likely the only way the Court will change the interpretation is in response to enormous public pressure. By that I mean an large and popular effort to amend the constitution. So yes, the nearly impossible task of actually getting that done may be bypassed but only if there is a strong demand for it. That is why people like Keith and Joe and Joe, and Wendy, and Tim and so many others  need to start demanding an amendment. It probably won't happen but it may force the change you are asking about. And this argument that people will feel threatened by the possibility and buy even more weapons needs to be ignored. So freaking what? You already have far more guns than people in your nation. no one can shoot more than one at once, at least not effectively.

You should have stopped after the first 8 words. We don't need to hope for an amendment that will never come, we need to pack the SC and use it to reverse Heller and any other jackass interpretation of the second. We need to put giant taxes on guns and especially ammunition the next time we have all three branches after the court is packed. Kieth is a smart guy and a real thought leader on this, and probably a fancy dresser and nifty dancer, too, but I'm also of the mind that responsibility will read regulation and go down in flames 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

Never said it was a perfect plan.  But you can't say 100% that one incident predicts the outcome.

The police force couldn't stop him because he was already inside.

You reference one failed incident. How about the happy endings? 

20 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You should have stopped after the first 8 words. We don't need to hope for an amendment that will never come, we need to pack the SC and use it to reverse Heller and any other jackass interpretation of the second. We need to put giant taxes on guns and especially ammunition the next time we have all three branches after the court is packed. Kieth is a smart guy and a real thought leader on this, and probably a fancy dresser and nifty dancer, too, but I'm also of the mind that responsibility will read regulation and go down in flames 

I've long said it, control the ammo,,,

20 minutes ago, timski said:

You reference one failed incident. How about the happy endings? 

I'm not referring to it.  I'm saying that there is no 100% solution to keeping shooters out of schools however, we can do more than we're doing right now.

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The problem with that idea is how the people who wrote it meant those words (there's a lot of notes and background material, including earlier drafts of the 2nd).

"Well regulated" meant, at the time, 'properly equipped and working'. Not 'subject to rules and regulations'.

And "militia" meant 'every able bodied man aged 17-60'. 

The word 'people', as in 'right of the people' would indicate that they meant it applied to...

The people. 
I have always found it rather interesting that 'people' means just that in all the other amendments that have it, but not in the 2nd.

In 1787 there were 'people', and also  3/5 persons, women, children.  Only "people" had rights, either self-evidently "unalienable", or explicitly granted.  Tough luck on the others.

Justice Thomas tells us we have to go by historical analogy. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

We don't need to hope for an amendment that will never come, we need to pack the SC and use it to reverse Heller and any other jackass interpretation of the second.

That's how Roe got overturned. So maybe you can get it done. Good luck.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

In 1787 there were 'people', and also  3/5 persons, women, children.  Only "people" had rights, either self-evidently "unalienable", or explicitly granted.  Tough luck on the others.

Justice Thomas tells us we have to go by historical analogy. 

Hi John,

IMO the dumbest justice in the history of this nation.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I'm not referring to it.  I'm saying that there is no 100% solution to keeping shooters out of schools however, we can do more than we're doing right now.

Agreed.  And we can do that many ways:

-Keep shooters out of schools
-Keep guns away from shooters
-Reduce the number of shooters to begin with

There's no one problem to solve, and there's no one solution to any of those problems.  As Uvalde showed us, there are things that we know don't work.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

That's how Roe got overturned. So maybe you can get it done. Good luck.

Seriously, Ken, as full of contrary analysis and negative opinions as you are maybe you should put more focus on solving your own countries problems. But then that wouldn't give you the same superior feeling, would it?

12 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Seriously, Ken, as full of contrary analysis and negative opinions as you are maybe you should put more focus on solving your own countries problems. But then that wouldn't give you the same superior feeling, would it?

Agree. There was a rash of extreme violence in Toronto. Several people were stabbed on the subway. One person was killed. Shame on Canada

Overspending is holding back the national dental plan. Every Canadian won't receive full dental coverage immediately. There is no word yet if the NDP coalition leader Mr. Singh will be held to account for this outrage. A full set of pearly whites in every grandparent is the national objective.Even for crackheads.

In another Canadian outrage. There have been delays in recruiting child caretakers for the national $10 a day child care plan.

spacer.png

I guess so. I could get worked up about something I suppose. Other than lack of support for the military industrial complex I can’t think of anything except the weather right now. There is the steady flow of weapons streaming over the southern border, maybe I should work on solving that?

6 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I guess so. I could get worked up about something I suppose. Other than lack of support for the military industrial complex I can’t think of anything except the weather right now. There is the steady flow of weapons streaming over the southern border, maybe I should work on solving that?

Or maybe read Phil's post and quit posting against America for a while.

• Like 1

(edited)

Or maybe read Phil's post and quit posting against America for a while.

? Are you sure you understand the meaning of Phil's post? This thread is about the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of a certain nation ya know. I could start a thread about Canadian politics, and I have in the past. But do you really want to hear what I think about Pee-Pee? 

Edited by gowlerk

34 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

? Are you sure you understand the meaning of Phil's post? This thread is about the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of a certain nation ya know. I could start a thread about Canadian politics, and I have in the past. But do you really want to hear what I think about Pee-Pee? 

Yeah we need a sarcasm emoji. What i meant was that those should have been the issues that the US government should deal with. Instead its unending gun violence.

102 pages now and no end to ideas or shootings. Someday there will be compromise. I just don't see that day on any calendar now.

I know Joe gets a little sensitive now and then. He's just a sensitive kinda guy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Oh,  well in that case most of the country is geographically independent, so what are you worrying about?

20 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

Well, as one, I do know that the vast majority in Oregon tend to the liberal side of any issue.  Most of the non-affiliated here in Oregon were former Democrats.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Keith,

And, let me add that the non-affiliated here in Oregon are the largest voting bloc in the state.  If they can be called a 'voting bloc.'

Jerry Baumchen

48 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

A recent Letter to the Editor here in Oregon:

"The majority of Americans support new, effective gun control laws and help for mental illness to address the root causes of these massacres."

He's not wrong. 

19 hours ago, gowlerk said:

You're right, as always. Only an idiot would take Phil seriously, so I'm an idiot. Thankfully he's the only SC posting Canadian I take seriously. Anyway did the Expo's make it to the Stanley Cup this year?

7 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

A recent Letter to the Editor here in Oregon:  Readers respond: Modern gun laws for modern times - oregonlive.com

I could not agree more.

Jerry Baumchen

"Rational, courageous action", just slightly vague? I mean, at least I'm willing to pay highly armed and vetted heroes in those roles...