5 5
kallend

More sacrifices to the 2nd Amendment

Really, though, the combination of so many people being armed together with the culture of fear (crime is out of control!!) pushed by the NRA and their political sycophants ensures that such incidents will be more and more common.  Then, stand your ground laws will ensure that these incidents will be chalked up to "shit happens" and no-one will be held to account.  If by some mistake the killer is actually convicted then right-wing fanatics will scream and holler until the governor steps in and corrects the error, as long as the victim is black or affiliated with black causes such as BLM.

50 minutes ago, jakee said:

Sometimes you wonder if gun laws are even the most immediate problem compared to insanely permissive 'self defense' laws.

Black teen rings doorbell, gets shot twice, and the police haven't even decided yet if a crime was committed.

If they decide that's not a crime and set a precedent - I wouldn't fancy the chances of any police knocking on the door in a bad neighborhood 

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Indeed. How that isn't a slam dunk crime as reported is insane.

How do people think this is even remotely normal?

Hi Sky,

From the link:  The fact that the police said it was an 'error' is why America is the way it is."

This is why.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  From the article/link, apparently the shooter shot him twice, once after he was on the ground.  That is not an 'error.'

37 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

If they decide that's not a crime and set a precedent - I wouldn't fancy the chances of any police knocking on the door in a bad neighborhood 

That's what no-knock warrants and guns blazing entries because you're black and sleeping are for.

48 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Oh come on, it wouldn’t set that precedent. That would be totally different, because…. well, because.

Hi folks,

At the rate we are going, Ben Crump will soon have more money than he can ever spend:  Civil rights attorney Ben Crump told The Star on Sunday that his Florida-based law firm has been retained by the teen’s family.

Ralph Yarl, 16-Year-Old Black Teen, Shot After Ringing Bell at Wrong Address – NBC New York

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

At the rate we are going, Ben Crump will soon have more money than he can ever spend:  Civil rights attorney Ben Crump told The Star on Sunday that his Florida-based law firm has been retained by the teen’s family.

Ralph Yarl, 16-Year-Old Black Teen, Shot After Ringing Bell at Wrong Address – NBC New York

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

He can sue (and I hope he does) and he can and should win.

That doesn't automatically mean a whole lot.

He could get a multi-million dollar judgement, but if the shooter only has a couple hundred thousand in liability (homeowners) insurance, that's all he's going to get.

4 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Apparently the shooter is 80 years old.  Makes me wonder if some dementia may be at play.  Not that dementia is any reason to take away someone's guns according to republicans and the NRA.

Maybe dementia, but I'd bet against it.
Or at least against it being a significant factor.

Keep in mind, at 80, this guy saw Jim Crow up close & personal. Likely he was raised that segregation was the 'right way'. 

I'd guess that he saw 'antifa' & "BLM" under his bed at night. 

Like the guy in North Carolina who shot the black kid for getting lost, like the guy in Colorado who held two "antifa" at gunpoint (they were really roofing & siding door-knockers), this guy has paranoid fantasies of being 'targeted' by 'those people'.

We even have one of that sort on here.

I'd love to see this guy prosecuted, but it's Missouri.

The couple that pointed guns at people for marching were not held accountable for their actions.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Hi Jerry,

He can sue (and I hope he does) and he can and should win.

That doesn't automatically mean a whole lot.

He could get a multi-million dollar judgement, but if the shooter only has a couple hundred thousand in liability (homeowners) insurance, that's all he's going to get.

Maybe dementia, but I'd bet against it.
Or at least against it being a significant factor.

Keep in mind, at 80, this guy saw Jim Crow up close & personal. Likely he was raised that segregation was the 'right way'. 

I'd guess that he saw 'antifa' & "BLM" under his bed at night. 

Like the guy in North Carolina who shot the black kid for getting lost, like the guy in Colorado who held two "antifa" at gunpoint (they were really roofing & siding door-knockers), this guy has paranoid fantasies of being 'targeted' by 'those people'.

We even have one of that sort on here.

I'd love to see this guy prosecuted, but it's Missouri.

The couple that pointed guns at people for marching were not held accountable for their actions.

Hes allready been charged. two felonies one could bring a life sentence. and the guy is 85

5 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

...Like the guy in North Carolina who shot the black kid for getting lost, like the guy in Colorado who held two "antifa" at gunpoint (they were really roofing & siding door-knockers), this guy has paranoid fantasies of being 'targeted' by 'those people'....

Oh hell those shootings happen a couple times every day.

"A man in upstate New York was charged with murder on Monday in the killing of a woman who was in a car that mistakenly drove into his driveway, officials said.

The woman and the three friends she was with never got out of the car on Saturday night, Jeffrey J. Murphy, the Washington County sheriff, said at a news conference. They were turning around after realizing their error when the man, Kevin Monahan, 65, stepped out of his house, in Hebron, N.Y., and fired at least two shots at the car, the sheriff said.

One of the bullets struck the woman, Kaylin Gillis, 20," Event

The accused lawyer stated "My preliminary view of this case is that it was a series of errors which resulted in a tragedy,” See just a couple of old fashioned errors.

Good thing there is a gun by every front door in case a neighbor or a child drops by.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Good thing there is a gun by every front door in case a neighbor or a child drops by.

Kind of makes me wonder why there are any Mormon missionaries or Jehovah's Witness types around any more.  Or maybe that's why none of them have knocked on my door recently.

32 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Kind of makes me wonder why there are any Mormon missionaries or Jehovah's Witness types around any more.  Or maybe that's why none of them have knocked on my door recently.

These events will give new meaning in the rural areas. When homeowners post signs "Private dead end drive"

On 4/17/2023 at 7:02 PM, BartsDaddy said:

He's already been charged. two felonies one could bring a life sentence. and the guy is 85

Yeah, I saw that tonight.

New report I saw had the prosecutor saying that race was definitely a factor. 

Go figure.

I'd personally love to see this guy die behind bars.
No, I'm not a terribly nice person when it comes to shit like this.

(edited)

There is always two sides to every shooting. In the gun forums: "Woman is shot  while attempting to hi-jack a car"

In real life: "Man arrested in shooting of two Texas cheerleaders after one mistakenly got into the wrong car"

"A man has been arrested after two Texas cheerleaders were shot, one critically, after one of them mistakenly got into the wrong car, according to police and the owner of the gym where they trained. ...

the two people shot were cheerleaders who were on their way home from practice.

Shearer said the cheerleaders typically carpooled from the Austin area to her gym. On Monday night, she said at least four cheerleaders were on their way back to the Austin area and had to stop at an H-E-B, where some of the members had parked their cars.

One of the girls accidentally tried to get into the wrong car, Shearer said. That's when, she said, a "guy got out and they saw that he had a gun. And so they tried to speed off and he shot his gun, like five times or so into the car."

In Texas when confronted by a dangerous looking sweaty, White, cheerleader. Its best to empty your magazine and ask questions later.

The cheerleaders medical bills had already passed $60k. But hey, the second amendment has costs.

Edited by Phil1111

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

There is always two sides to every shooting. In the gun forums: "Woman is shot  while attempting to hi-jack a car"

In real life: "Man arrested in shooting of two Texas cheerleaders after one mistakenly got into the wrong car"

"A man has been arrested after two Texas cheerleaders were shot, one critically, after one of them mistakenly got into the wrong car, according to police and the owner of the gym where they trained. ...

Shearer said the cheerleaders typically carpooled from the Austin area to her gym. On Monday night, she said at least four cheerleaders were on their way back to the Austin area and had to stop at an H-E-B, where some of the members had parked their cars.

One of the girls accidentally tried to get into the wrong car, Shearer said. That's when, she said, a "guy got out and they saw that he had a gun. And so they tried to speed off and he shot his gun, like five times or so into the car."

In Texas when confronted by a dangerous looking sweaty, White, cheerleader. Its best to empty your magazine and ask questions later.

The cheerleaders medical bills had already passed $60k. But hey, the second amendment has costs.

Hi Phil,

The rest of the world must think we are nuts.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

The rest of the world must think we are nuts.

Jerry Baumchen

IMO most foreigners think the US is beholden to special interest groups. Not Soros type stuff. But the gun lobby, big pharma lobby, etc. They likely don't understand how conservative small states can control the agenda over the vote of larger population. Or how powerful unlimited lobbying can be.

I have never heard of someone not going to the US because of gun violence. But every country has a unique identity. As an example the US has never really had a public outcry over huge defense spending. Joe probably ain't gonna like this. But the secret documents disclosed by Guardsman Teixeira. Revealed that our P.M. stated to US officials that Canada would likely never meet NATO 2% spending agreements.

Guns. As long as there is FOX, conservatives in bed with the gun lobby. There is not likely to be real changes that reduce gun violence and senseless shootings.At least not while I'm alive.

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Although her being a cheerleader is a positive, no one here who is serious cares if she was white. But did you really have to say "sweaty"? Kids read this, you know.

38 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Although her being a cheerleader is a positive, no one here who is serious cares if she was white. But did you really have to say "sweaty"? Kids read this, you know.

Given the propensity of gun violence victims to be Black. Do you think that a White shooter of a White, young girl, is an issue?

Gym, physical workout, of cheer-leading practice. Walking proximity to the shooting site. KIds read this? I have no idea of the point you're addressing.

12 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

IMO most foreigners think the US is beholden to special interest groups. Not Soros type stuff. But the gun lobby, big pharma lobby, etc. They likely don't understand how conservative small states can control the agenda over the vote of larger population. Or how powerful unlimited lobbying can be.

I have never heard of someone not going to the US because of gun violence. But every country has a unique identity. As an example the US has never really had a public outcry over huge defense spending. Joe probably ain't gonna like this. But the secret documents disclosed by Guardsman Teixeira. Revealed that our P.M. stated to US officials that Canada would likely never meet NATO 2% spending agreements.

Guns. As long as there is FOX, conservatives in bed with the gun lobby. There is not likely to be real changes that reduce gun violence and senseless shootings.At least not while I'm alive.

I suspect those in the know are starting to see a slowdown in tourism to the US. For the first time ever I saw the US advertising for tourists on TV - usually its places like Qatar or Denmark or Morocco who do that to raise awareness that they exist.

My company and a bunch of others I know have reduced our US footprint significantly. The omens aren't as bad as they were during Trumps tenure, but he definitely made a lasting mess of the international relationships. Biden is a huge improvement internationally but he's got some work to do.

April 20th is also the day that we remember the victims of the Columbine High School tragedy, where two students stormed into a suburban high school in Littleton, Colorado in 1999, at lunchtime with guns and explosives, killing 13 and wounding dozens more in what was, at the time, the nation’s deadliest school shooting.

So, how is that whole; no need to write my like-minded congress critters, in a democratic controlled house, bitch about it in SC, campaign working for ya? 

(edited)

Fucking hell what a week. So there’s been;

Shot for knocking on the wrong door

Shot for turning onto the wrong driveway

Shot for getting into the wrong car then running away

And now shot for a basketball bouncing onto the wrong yard. What’s going to happen before the weekend is out, a baby shot for crying too loud in Walmart?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65325867

Edited by jakee

32 minutes ago, jakee said:

And now shot for a basketball bouncing onto the wrong yard. What’s going to happen before the weekend is out, a baby shot for crying too loud in Walmart?

Welcome to America!  /:poop:

(in the hopes I have adhered to our new sarcasm font/indicator)

1 hour ago, jakee said:

31 minutes ago, normiss said:

Welcome to America!  /:poop:

(in the hopes I have adhered to our new sarcasm font/indicator)

So fewer and fewer people watch the US major evening news. Pretty much only old people get their news from CBS,ABC, NBC. Naturally I have to check them all out.

For the last two weeks they are looking more and more like CNN. Shootings, shooting trials, injury and death reports from shootings. Good thing that foreign countries can't get such news coverage.

How long till a US cable network starts a US gun violence channel. With victim coverage, funerals, hospital visits, trial coverage, etc?

9 hours ago, Stumpy said:

I suspect those in the know are starting to see a slowdown in tourism to the US. For the first time ever I saw the US advertising for tourists on TV - usually its places like Qatar or Denmark or Morocco who do that to raise awareness that they exist.

My company and a bunch of others I know have reduced our US footprint significantly. The omens aren't as bad as they were during Trumps tenure, but he definitely made a lasting mess of the international relationships. Biden is a huge improvement internationally but he's got some work to do.

Hi Stumpy,

I was just thinking about this last nite.

If I were a Kiwi and wanted to come to the USA for some fun & sun, I think I might just want to revisit that idea.

Maybe, if it starts to kill tourism here, someone might just change their mind(s).  It is the $$$$$$$$, you know.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  When I was a kid ( late 40's - early 50's ) we used to run through the neighbor's back yards day & nite.  No one ever got shot.

• Like 3