8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

3 hours ago, jakee said:

But no-one does that.

No, it'd be about as ridiculous as blaming Biden for the Taliban, fighting in Gaza and a hacking attack.

Well, people DO blame Trump for the response to the pandemic. 

Pretending it wasn't a problem.
Muzziling scientists and the CDC.
Tying essential medical supply deliveries to the 'loyalty' of a state's governor. 
Worrying more about the stock market than the lives of citizens.

You know, the "it will all go away, like a miracle" crap.
The "slow down the testing" garbage.
The 'we should look into bleach and ultraviolet light' shit. 

Of course, Trumpettes ignore that part. 
And claim that the rest of us are 'blaming Trump for the pandemic'.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Even in Oklahoma, one must gather up a symphony of documents to get the real ID.

Yeah -- this time when my license expired (last month), Florida informed me that because I need a Real ID to board a plane, I have to come in person to get my new license.  I guess my military ID and my diplomatic passport -- both of which will get me on a plane back to the States -- don't count.  It's going to be tougher to rent a car, particularly in New Zealand during my leave enroute, with the former (but here's hoping the passport will do, albeit without an international drivers license). Good thing I'll have family to pick me up at the airport once I get home. I won't be able to rent a car there until I get the new license, either.

Florida has been one of the best places in the country for active duty military personnel to claim residency.  They'll even send you a new DL with your current mailing address, wherever that is, for as long as you're in the service.  Neither this nor the new voting laws are friendly to military personnel registered in Florida. No one who doesn't still have a bill sent to a Florida address will be able to get the new DL.

I guess not a Biden criticism, since all this happened well before he was even running for the nomination.

3 hours ago, TriGirl said:

I guess my military ID and my diplomatic passport -- both of which will get me on a plane back to the States -- don't count.

According to the Military base websites in my state - as long as you maintain a passport/card - you're supposed to be fine. This reminds me of the early days of TSA. While in Disaster/Emergency response the TSA was formed and we were required to get a TWIC card (Another fookin badge). We had to get to the airport three hours early then to run the gauntlet of truth in presenting ID's. I would use my TWIC Card and the TSA would ask - where's your photo ID? - don't need it. That's your agency's ID card. No. We need something with a photo - OK your agency didn't issue me a photo when they gave me the TWIC card. They'd call a supervisor. It was a fun game to reciprocate for my having to show up 3 hours early to be in the lemming line. 

Eventually, they went to having a Photo ID. Now that I think about it - I been pissing folks off for about 50 years. Oh well, no reason to quit now. :)    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

According to the Military base websites in my state - as long as you maintain a passport/card - you're supposed to be fine. This reminds me of the early days of TSA. While in Disaster/Emergency response the TSA was formed and we were required to get a TWIC card (Another fookin badge). We had to get to the airport three hours early then to run the gauntlet of truth in presenting ID's. I would use my TWIC Card and the TSA would ask - where's your photo ID? - don't need it. That's your agency's ID card. No. We need something with a photo - OK your agency didn't issue me a photo when they gave me the TWIC card. They'd call a supervisor. It was a fun game to reciprocate for my having to show up 3 hours early to be in the lemming line. 

Eventually, they went to having a Photo ID. Now that I think about it - I been pissing folks off for about 50 years. Oh well, no reason to quit now. :)    

now, or at least feb 2020, i used my twic card to fly all the way to sfo and back.  had just renewed my license, opted for the federal one, and they gave me a paper copy until it got mailed to me, in march.  i used it for the rental, but the tsa laughed when i pulled it out.  luckily, i had my twic on me.

10 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Biden cancels Keystone pipe line but ok's Russian pipeline.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/18/politics/us-nord-stream-decision/index.html

Nope.  From the article:

"The Biden Administration has been clear that the Nord Stream 2 pipeline is a Russian geopolitical project that threatens European energy security and that of Ukraine and eastern flank NATO Allies and partners. We continue to examine entities involved in potentially sanctionable activity and have made it clear that companies risk sanctions if they are involved in Nord Stream 2.  We will continue to underscore US strong, bipartisan opposition to this Russian malign influence project."

23 minutes ago, billvon said:

Nope.  From the article:

"The Biden Administration has been clear that the Nord Stream 2 pipeline is a Russian geopolitical project that threatens European energy security and that of Ukraine and eastern flank NATO Allies and partners. We continue to examine entities involved in potentially sanctionable activity and have made it clear that companies risk sanctions if they are involved in Nord Stream 2.  We will continue to underscore US strong, bipartisan opposition to this Russian malign influence project."

Everything possible should be done to kill Nord Stream 2. Nothing but nothing will bring Putin to heel like attacking his cash machine. Energy exports.

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Everything possible should be done to kill Nord Stream 2.

I disagree.  We could certainly stop it with a few well placed nuclear weapons, or even with a conventional bombing campaign.  The collateral damage (both to Russia and ourselves) would be too high; the cost would not be worth it.

I am all for stopping it as well - provided the cost isn't too high.

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

I disagree.  We could certainly stop it with a few well placed nuclear weapons, or even with a conventional bombing campaign.  The collateral damage (both to Russia and ourselves) would be too high; the cost would not be worth it.

Hell, I just learned the whole thing is literally under water. No need to do anything overt; Just take it out quietly with submersibles.

Nordstream.jpeg

2 hours ago, billvon said:

I don't think the issue would be cutting off the supply of gas to a European ally. The issue is initiating a new cash customer for Russia, Putin and his kleptocratic clique.

This gas line will make the EU dependent upon Russian energy. Which can be cut off at the whim of Putin. Most importantly it provides Putin with hundreds of billions in cash. The money to continue his realm of oppression.

"The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russian global shipments during 2020spacer.png. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from Russia.

1. Mineral fuels including oil: US$141.3 billion (42.1% of total exports)
  2. Gems, precious metals: $30.4 billion (9%)"

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I don't think the issue would be cutting off the supply of gas to a European ally. The issue is initiating a new cash customer for Russia, Putin and his kleptocratic clique.

This gas line will make the EU dependent upon Russian energy. Which can be cut off at the whim of Putin. Most importantly it provides Putin with hundreds of billions in cash. The money to continue his realm of oppression.

"The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in Russian global shipments during 2020spacer.png. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from Russia.

1. Mineral fuels including oil: US$141.3 billion (42.1% of total exports)
  2. Gems, precious metals: $30.4 billion (9%)"

It’s pretty easy to sit here and criticize this project with our ample supplies of gas. It might look a little different to someone who needs to import it from somewhere.

32 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It’s pretty easy to sit here and criticize this project with our ample supplies of gas. It might look a little different to someone who needs to import it from somewhere.

The European Parliament has demanded construction stop on the Nord Stream 2 pipeline. The controversial pipeline will double the capacity of an already existing natural gas pipeline between Russia and Germany.

"The controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline, disliked for geopolitical and climate reasons, is nearly complete. The German Greens, who are riding high in the polls ahead of the federal election, want to stop it.

“For a long time we have been looking for leaders in Germany to look seriously at the climate impacts of Nord Stream 2,” says Roche. “It will be one of the tests of the new government, whether it can shift away from a Germany reliant on fossil fuels to a truly renewable-energy-based economy.”

(edited)
13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That’s a tough one.  

Honestly, I doubt for you that it is a tough one. For you, anti global warming and pro shale oil extraction policies are vastly more important than the plain fact that Trump and his complicit Republican henchmen would have turned America into an electoral autocracy, much like what happened in India. What I find maddening is how those like you preen your patriotic feathers as if you really were on the right side of democracy.

Edited by JoeWeber

11 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Honestly, I doubt for you that it is a tough one. For you, anti global warming and pro shale oil extraction policies are vastly more important than the plain fact that Trump and his complicit Republican henchmen would have turned America into an electoral autocracy, much like what happened in India. What I find maddening is how those like you preen your patriotic feathers as if you really were on the right side of democracy.

What I would really like is the policies of the previous administration without Trump.