8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The global temperature doesn’t fluctuate by the week.  It is becoming apparent that we are in a cooling phase despite record levels of CO2.  

Are you at least open to the idea that all areas of the planet aren't warming at the same rate?

(edited)

Let me break this down in a way that a skydiver might understand.  Max Swooper will be our notional skydiver.  Max gets into a twin otter and the plane begins to climb.  If we plot his altitude in a straight line over time we see the upward trend.  At 14,000 feet Max jumps out, after ten seconds of free fall we plot his altitude over time, again.  I start my plot from the moment Max leaves the aircraft which indicates a drop in altitude.  Bill and others will accuse me of “cherry picking” my start time and continue to use the moment of takeoff and claim max is in fact still climbing albeit at a slower rate.  Which one of us is correct? I hope this illustration help clear things up.

Edited by brenthutch

30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Let me break this down in a way that a skydiver might understand.  Max Swooper will be our notional skydiver.  Max gets into a twin otter and the plane begins to climb.  If we plot his altitude in a straight line over time we see the upward trend.  At 14,000 feet Max jumps out, after ten seconds of free fall we plot his altitude over time, again.  I start my plot from the moment Max leaves the aircraft which indicates a drop in altitude.  Bill and others will accuse me of “cherry picking” my start time and continue to use the moment of takeoff and claim max is in fact still climbing albeit at a slower rate.  Which one of us is correct? I hope this illustration help clear things up.

Are you at least open to the idea the Max's fall rate will change over the course of those ten seconds?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Shown here in shades of blue, for example, are places where less than 50 percent of the populace believe humans are behind global warming: OR IN OTHER TERMS THE CENTER OF ANTI-SCIENCE

President Biden and his party believe in climate change. The GOP "there are still 139 elected officials in the 117th Congress, including 109 representatives and 30 senators, who refuse to acknowledge the scientific evidence of human-caused climate change. All 139 of these climate-denying elected officials have made recent statements casting doubt on the clear, established scientific consensus that the world is warming—and that human activity is to blame. These same 139 climate-denying members have received more than $61 million in lifetime contributions from the coal, oil, and gas industries.

These climate deniers comprise 52 percent of House Republicans; 60 percent of Senate Republicans; and more than one-quarter of the total number of elected officials in Congress. Furthermore, despite the decline in total overall deniers in Congress, a new concerning trend has emerged: Of the 69 freshmen representatives and senators elected to their respective offices in 2020, one-third deny the science of climate change, including 20 new House Republicans and three-of-four new Republican senators. Of note, no currently serving Democratic or independent elected officials have engaged in explicit climate denial by this analysis’ definition.**

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The global temperature doesn’t fluctuate by the week. 

It doesn't fluctuate?  Do you live in an indoor mall?

His fall rate may vary, but he is still going down.

Take a look at this chart and tell us at what point Max landed.

instrumental_record.png

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

He is at 13,500 and climbing, he doesn’t jump until 2021

Well, there are two possibilities.

One is that he jumped dozens of times - in 2016 (because after that he's descending) and got back in, in 2009 and then got back in, in 2004 and then got back in, in 1998 and then got back in . . . .

Or he's in a plane that's climbing but is seeing some chaos in the form of turbulence.

Which is more likely, in this sketchy comparison you've made?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

He is at 13,500 and climbing, he doesn’t jump until 2021

I've plotted this "plunge" in my original plot. Somehow I don't think brent's climate prediction skills are as good as his TSLA stock value prediction skills (which are frankly, terrible)

image.png.f3110245ff8b8e36758aa63e8d20d9d0.png

So brent, when will we see average temperatures close to 1970 levels?

42 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I've plotted this "plunge" in my original plot. Somehow I don't think brent's climate prediction skills are as good as his TSLA stock value prediction skills (which are frankly, terrible)

I'm thinking it isn't called Brent Crude for no reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, olofscience said:

Hopefully never, the slight warming has resulted in a longer growing season and record food production to feed a hungry planet.  Still no record drought, floods, hurricanes and wildfires.  My beach place is still above water and I still take my kids skiing locally.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Hopefully never, the slight warming has resulted in a longer growing season and record food production to feed a hungry planet.  

1) There's no global warming!
2) OK there's some warming but we didn't do it
3) OK there's some warming and we did it but it will be all good
4) OK we did it and it's bad but it's too late to fix it

I'd like to congratulate you on hitting two of the denial talking points in the same thread - within a few pages of each other, even!  It takes some mental flexibility to do that!  

Bet you can't hit all four.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

1) There's no global warming!
2) OK there's some warming but we didn't do it
3) OK there's some warming and we did it but it will be all good
4) OK we did it and it's bad but it's too late to fix it

I'd like to congratulate you on hitting two of the denial talking points in the same thread - within a few pages of each other, even!  It takes some mental flexibility to do that!  

Bet you can't hit all four.

image.png.5311d955b5208496279f19b47abfd7f4.pngW

13 hours ago, billvon said:

within a few pages of each other, even!

He actually hit both of them within a few posts of each other...on the same page.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, brenthutch said:

It is becoming apparent that we are in a cooling phase

then:

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Hopefully never, the slight warming has resulted in (blah blah)

Then now he's back to posting what looks to be temperature data zoomed in too close without any sources or comment of course. I think we crashed the brentbot...

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Why are you guys feeding the troll?

I hope you aren’t referring to me.  The title of this thread is “President Biden’s critics corner”.  My post is a legitimate criticism of Biden’s policies.  If you want to start a “President Biden’s fan boy” thread, be my guest.

• Like 1