8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

On 6/1/2023 at 12:16 AM, JoeWeber said:

Well, the bumbling idiot who can't tie his shoes or walk up stairs just defeated the Freedom Caucus on the debt ceiling. Biden's Presidency is on track to be one of the most consequential in recent history. You can get on board or you can hang with MTG. 

Most consequential in recent history for sure.

Record inflation, interest rates and Presidents falling over. The latest trip and fall is not good. The economy remains the #1 issue, followed by crime and corruption, then immigration. The D's and R's will vote how they always vote. It's the I's that swing elections. Right now they aren't happy.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/US-president-approval-rating

image.png.1641d56457c2ea94bf492d48156bdf8b.png

39 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Record inflation, interest rates and Presidents falling over. The latest trip and fall is not good. The economy remains the #1 issue, followed by crime and corruption, then immigration. The D's and R's will vote how they always vote. It's the I's that swing elections. Right now they aren't happy.

In the words of Sarah Palin, someone I have no doubt you voted for: polls are for strippers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

32 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

In the words of Sarah Palin, someone I have no doubt you voted for: polls are for strippers.

I've heard that Putin's approval rating is off the charts.

• Like 1

Record inflation, interest rates and Presidents falling over.

Depends on your definition of "recent". 

spacer.pngDuring my adult life inflation and interest rates have been considerably higher, and there was a president who "couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time".  

(edited)

"Record" inflation? Take a look at 1917-1921, 1947, 1974, 1980, then compare that to recent years.

Historical Inflation Rates: 1914-2023

Yearly average graphed:

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 07.57.30.png

Edited by ryoder

4 hours ago, billeisele said:

Record inflation

Not any more.  The inflation reduction act . . . .worked. 

interest rates

It was higher in 2007.  It was higher in 2001.

Presidents falling over. The latest trip and fall is not good. 

covfefe

The D's and R's will vote how they always vote. It's the I's that swing elections. Right now they aren't happy.

A matchup between Trump and Biden puts Biden ahead by 7%.  People may not like Biden - but once again he will likely be the better of two bad choices.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4012722-trump-beats-biden-by-7-points-in-hypothetical-2024-matchup-poll/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not any more.  The inflation reduction act . . . .worked. 

It was higher in 2007.  It was higher in 2001.

covfefe

A matchup between Trump and Biden puts Biden ahead by 7%.  People may not like Biden - but once again he will likely be the better of two bad choices.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4012722-trump-beats-biden-by-7-points-in-hypothetical-2024-matchup-poll/

Hi Bill,

Re:  People may not like Biden - but once again he will likely be the better of two bad choices.

There are those who live in their dreams & there are those who live in realityi.

Jerry Baumchen

11 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  People may not like Biden - but once again he will likely be the better of two bad choices.

There are those who live in their dreams & there are those who live in realityi.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry - That's pretty much what's being said about the folks that continue to support Pres Biden. Ignoring his infirmities and refusing to acknowledge that they exist is fantasy.

The polls are clear. At least for those that understand the term "recent." having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=recent&source=hp&ei=32h9ZPvWBe-zqtsPqfur2As&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZH127_tsnge0WZhwZCyfpJNHvtvPUIrj&ved=0ahUKEwi7wtjLqav_AhXvmWoFHan9CrsQ4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=recent&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyDggAEIAEELEDEIMBEMkDMggIABCABBCSAzIICAAQigUQkgMyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyCAgAEIAEELEDOgsILhCABBCxAxCDAToRCC4QgwEQxwEQsQMQ0QMQgAQ6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoLCAAQigUQsQMQgwE6CwguEIoFELEDEIMBOg4ILhCABBCxAxCDARDUAjoICAAQgAQQyQM6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBEK8BOgsILhCABBDHARCvAVAAWO4GYO8IaABwAHgAgAFUiAHCA5IBATaYAQCgAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Some insist on talking about, "My lifetime" or "During my adult life." Fine but that's not what I commented about. Then there's the Trump vs. Biden poll, again, fine but not what I commented on. I'd luv to see Trump gone. There are other much better choices.

We'll all just have to wait and see how it turns out. The R's have some elimination to go through. And, hopefully, another D candidate will appear. Wouldn't it be nice to have two legitimate choices?

2 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Jerry - That's pretty much what's being said about the folks that continue to support Pres Biden. Ignoring his infirmities and refusing to acknowledge that they exist is fantasy.

No one here is "ignoring his infirmities."  That's another strawman you made up.  He's an old man with a speech impediment.  He was merely the better choice.

The polls are clear. 

Yes, they are.  Biden wins a Biden/Trump rematch.  There are many other better candidates, true.  But Trump has demonstrated that he will destroy the GOP before he lets someone else get the nomination - which means that after Trump has "proven" that every other candidate is a pedophile, a Communist, a China supporter and a woke lunatic, they won't really be electable by the GOP base either.

Wouldn't it be nice to have two legitimate choices?

That would be great.  Odds of that are very low.

(edited)
19 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,...

Jerry Baumchen

and some who do both like Jerry & Joe in SC from Oregon.

A big problem in America is the tremendous amount of negative, pandering politics. Like many captains President Biden has a team around him to assist him. The poisoned narrative surrounding anything from Washington limits good news. Team doesn't exist for trump. For most of the rest of the presidential candidates. The MAGA base is the elephant in the china shop.

America is leading the opposition to the Russian invasion. America is leading the opposition to Xi's aggressive China policies. Republican leaders have no cohesive foreign  policy

Everything about spending on the federal side is passed by a vote in Washington. American voters love the spending and love to receive the benefits of the spending. Then republicans like to criticize everything about the spending. Except the spending on the military.

Edited by Phil1111

7 hours ago, billeisele said:

What 'infirmities'?

Please be specific.

He tripped over a sandbag that was in a bad spot on the floor.

He has a stutter. 

Foolish and ignorant people ridicule that sort of thing and claim its a 'sign of dementia'. 

If anyone actually pays attention to the things he says and does, it's pretty clear he's in full control of 'his faculties'.
Did you see the part of the State of the Union address where he sparred with the Rs about their intent to destroy Social Security?

I can't find it with a quick search, but I came across a video recently of Biden discussing his stutter, how it's affected him and what he's done to overcome it (and the stigma).
Again, if you think he is suffering from dementia, you are fooling yourself.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billeisele said:

The polls are clear. At least for those that understand the term "recent." having happened, begun, or been done not long ago or not long before; belonging to a past period of time comparatively close to the present. 

Some insist on talking about, "My lifetime" or "During my adult life." Fine but that's not what I commented about. Then there's the Trump vs. Biden poll, again, fine but not what I commented on. I'd luv to see Trump gone. There are other much better choices.

We'll all just have to wait and see how it turns out. The R's have some elimination to go through. And, hopefully, another D candidate will appear. Wouldn't it be nice to have two legitimate choices?

History goes back millennia.   Ancient history is the building of the pyramids and the assassination of Julius Caesar.  Recent history is stuff that those still alive can remember, like WW2 and the resignation of Nixon.

You just cherry picked a period that appears to support your claim. 

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

History goes back millennia.   Ancient history is the building of the pyramids and the assassination of Julius Caesar.  Recent history is stuff that those still alive can remember, like WW2 and the resignation of Nixon.

You just cherry picked a period that appears to support your claim. 

And because my comment was about recent history and it doesn't fit your world perspective you chose to redefine it to fit your perspective. So you cherry picked to support your claim. Thanks.

You are welcome to your thoughts but you can't make yours mine.

(edited)

You are welcome to your thoughts but you can't make yours mine.

That much is apparent. Sorry, Bill, but a lot of writers here have gone to great lengths to give you better information after some of the, what are clearly, right wing talking points you occasionally post. For example the black and poorly placed sand bag he tripped over that Joe just pointed out for you. Did you bother to check? Nope. Instead you are hop like a bullfrog ready to blame the fall on his dementia, wokeness, poor polling and, no doubt, affection for aviator shades. It could have happened to you, you know. For ease, here's the video. Go to 1:30 and look in the left hand corner. Also note the Air Force pointing out the bag to the President.

Better Pic:

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 10.42.26 AM.png

Edited by JoeWeber
better pic

On 6/4/2023 at 5:07 AM, billeisele said:

Record inflation, interest rates and Presidents falling over. The latest trip and fall is not good. The economy remains the #1 issue,

So vote for the guy who was President during the worst recession since the Great Depression? Or vote for the guy who led you out of that recession?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

What 'infirmities'?

Please be specific.

He tripped over a sandbag that was in a bad spot on the floor.

He has a stutter. 

Foolish and ignorant people ridicule that sort of thing and claim its a 'sign of dementia'. 

In 2015 I was giving a talk at a battery conference and I tripped on my way to the stage.  I was concentrating on getting my microphone on and not looking where I was going.

I guess my company was participating in "elder abuse" by paying me to talk at those conferences!  I am clearly senile and demented; they better unpublish all the patents I got from 2015 to today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billvon said:

In 2015 I was giving a talk at a battery conference and I tripped on my way to the stage.  I was concentrating on getting my microphone on and not looking where I was going.

I guess my company was participating in "elder abuse" by paying me to talk at those conferences!  I am clearly senile and demented; they better unpublish all the patents I got from 2015 to today.

All moot points for republicans. He would be making fun of one of America's greatest leaders FDR,  for being in a wheelchair. Calling him unfit for leadership.   Just as he would peddle the same conservative talking points about Stephen Hawking. Bragging about how he and Donald Duck was smarter.

23 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

That much is apparent. Sorry, Bill, but a lot of writers here have gone to great lengths to give you better information after some of the, what are clearly, right wing talking points you occasionally post. For example the black and poorly placed sand bag he tripped over that Joe just pointed out for you. Did you bother to check? Nope. Instead you are hop like a bullfrog ready to blame the fall on his dementia, wokeness, poor polling and, no doubt, affection for aviator shades. It could have happened to you, you know.

Good morning Joe. We tend to get along but here's a problem.

You tend to assume the worst. No, I did not grab the right wing talking points, yes I was aware of the sand bag. The entirety of the comment is focused on the thought that is what was done. It was not.

"Instead you are hop like a bullfrog ready to blame the fall on his dementia" and the rest of the sentence is just ridiculous, "wokeness, poor polling and, no doubt, affection for aviator shades."

Tripping up the stairs of AF 1. Yes, that could happen to anyone.

Getting lost on a stage and walking the wrong direction looking dazed and confused. Again, yes.

Walking away from the Cadets not taking the football or helmet. Start at 13 minutes.

My concern is simple, that the guy is not all there. Yes, many times there are no concerns with his performance but then there are the other times. The job is tough. IMO we need someone that is operating at 100%. To me it appears that he regularly struggles.

20 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Good morning Joe. We tend to get along but here's a problem.

You tend to assume the worst. No, I did not grab the right wing talking points, yes I was aware of the sand bag. The entirety of the comment is focused on the thought that is what was done. It was not.

"Instead you are hop like a bullfrog ready to blame the fall on his dementia" and the rest of the sentence is just ridiculous, "wokeness, poor polling and, no doubt, affection for aviator shades."

Tripping up the stairs of AF 1. Yes, that could happen to anyone.

Getting lost on a stage and walking the wrong direction looking dazed and confused. Again, yes.

Walking away from the Cadets not taking the football or helmet. Start at 13 minutes.

My concern is simple, that the guy is not all there. Yes, many times there are no concerns with his performance but then there are the other times. The job is tough. IMO we need someone that is operating at 100%. To me it appears that he regularly struggles.

LOL - those types of events never run as planned.

I don't know about you, but I only have 2 hands and would not want to carry all that crap while needing to shake hands on the exit path, that's what staff are for anyways. Collect the stuff and file as required.

POTUS has more important things to do than carry nick knacks.

25 minutes ago, billeisele said:

The job is tough. IMO we need someone that is operating at 100%.

Did you vote for Trump? Did you vote for Palin? Did you vote for Bush? I'll bet you did for a hat trick. Now maybe I'm misremembering that Palin astutely observed that some bits of Russia are visible from Alaska and thus proving her Foreign Policy credentials or that Trump.... Not enough time for his gaffs and lies for sure.

Now sure, I'd rather have the likes of BillVon in the Whitehouse, if just to pay him back for being mean to me, but unfortunately he's too all there to stand for a sucker punch. So we get a choice. That choice, by each and every metric in my view, was rightly made in the last election. You, like many other on the right, must disagree or you wouldn't keep picking at him like an annoying scab. He's and old guy with a speech impediment who seems fond of falling on his ass while he's on 24/7 camera. He's also repaired NATO in wartime, keeps adding jobs to an inflationary economy that he was gifted on arrival, and has managed to snake Kevin McCarthy and the nihilists in the R controlled house to name just three things. No, he doesn't believe what you do but maybe you should take a page from John Waynes playbook and say: “I didn’t vote for him, but he’s my President, and I hope he does a good job.” And do so if for no other reason that his Presidency is a fait accompli and we are actually all in this together. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

No, he doesn't believe what you do but maybe you should take a page from John Waynes playbook and say: “I didn’t vote for him, but he’s my President, and I hope he does a good job.” And do so if for no other reason that his Presidency is a fait accompli and we are actually all in this together. 

Easy to say now. Will you be saying that if somehow Trump becomes POTUS again? I know I wouldn't. I agree, Biden has shown himself to be a steady hand on the tiller. Surprisingly effective even while appearing not to be all that vigorous. And most likely he will be POTUS for another six years, so keep hoping he ages well.

20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Easy to say now. Will you be saying that if somehow Trump becomes POTUS again? I know I wouldn't. I agree, Biden has shown himself to be a steady hand on the tiller. Surprisingly effective even while appearing not to be all that vigorous. And most likely he will be POTUS for another six years, so keep hoping he ages well.

No, I wouldn't, but then there are reasonable exceptions and petty differences blown out of proportion.

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

To me, results matter more than appearances.

He outmanuevered republicans and kept America from defaulting on her loans.  He got the inflation reduction bill passed - and it looks like it's working.  He got a VERY badly needed infrastructure bill passed; now we have funding to fix bridges, roads and airports.  He got hundreds of millions of Americans vaccinated, and helped bring us to the end of the COVID pandemic.  He capped prescription drug prices at $2000 a year for seniors on Medicare, helping the sickest people who could no longer afford their medications.  He got unemployment to historically low levels.

Now, he's also got a stutter and he's not a great public speaker.  And I certainly wouldn't pick him first for basketball.  But again, where it counts, he's delivering.

• Like 1