8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

22 minutes ago, billvon said:

And I certainly wouldn't pick him first for basketball.  But again, where it counts, he's delivering.

And he should do pretty well at the ballot box getting 3 pointers and lots of free throws. Mostly because he is playing against a team that keeps tripping over their loose shoe laces.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Did you vote for Trump? Did you vote for Palin? Did you vote for Bush? I'll bet you did for a hat trick. Now maybe I'm misremembering that Palin astutely observed that some bits of Russia are visible from Alaska and thus proving her Foreign Policy credentials or that Trump.... Not enough time for his gaffs and lies for sure.

Now sure, I'd rather have the likes of BillVon in the Whitehouse, if just to pay him back for being mean to me, but unfortunately he's too all there to stand for a sucker punch. So we get a choice. That choice, by each and every metric in my view, was rightly made in the last election. You, like many other on the right, must disagree or you wouldn't keep picking at him like an annoying scab. He's and old guy with a speech impediment who seems fond of falling on his ass while he's on 24/7 camera. He's also repaired NATO in wartime, keeps adding jobs to an inflationary economy that he was gifted on arrival, and has managed to snake Kevin McCarthy and the nihilists in the R controlled house to name just three things. No, he doesn't believe what you do but maybe you should take a page from John Waynes playbook and say: “I didn’t vote for him, but he’s my President, and I hope he does a good job.” And do so if for no other reason that his Presidency is a fait accompli and we are actually all in this together. 

Again, no, assuming things again. Not good. I've never stepped into the box and pulled the R lever. 

Best as I can tell, none of us are presidents, governors, mayors or even school board presidents. Us goofing up is much different than the leader of the free world operating with diminished capacity. As stated previously, "My concern is simple, that the guy is not all there."

Folks seem to purposefully forget that his issues have included more than stuttering and tripping over a sandbag. Some also have different opinions about the performance on border security, the economy, inflation, debt ceiling negotiations, cost of energy, energy policy, the laptop, corruption and more. It was said that he has, "a steady hand on the tiller." That's accurate, but based on the polls, many don't agree with the direction the boat is going. We'll get to see how it plays out.

I always hope that our President does a good job. I liked what Trump accomplished but really disliked how he attacked people. Folks certainly didn't have your, "he's my President attitude" for Trump.

U R satisfied with Biden, I'm not. Fine, we have a different opinion, no problem. 

2 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Some also have different opinions about the performance on border security, the economy, inflation, debt ceiling negotiations, cost of energy, energy policy,

Yes!  And that's completely approrpiate to talk about here.  (It's why we have this forum.)  But a lot of republicans see it as a duel to the death, and they must use every trick they have to destroy Biden, from disagreements over the debt ceiling to how he stutters to calling him a pedophile because he kissed his grandson on the head at a funeral.  (And yes, people did the same thing with Trump.)

That's accurate, but based on the polls, many don't agree with the direction the boat is going. We'll get to see how it plays out.

It would be interesting to do an experiment.  Take a 100% anti-Biden voter and list 50 of Biden's positions on issues, then list 50 of Trump's positions - and see what they really choose once they don't know which came from Biden and which came from Trump.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, billeisele said:

I've never stepped into the box and pulled the R lever. 

Would that mean that in each of the three presidential elections I referenced you voted for the D candidates?

Edited by JoeWeber

2 hours ago, billvon said:

To me, results matter more than appearances.

He outmanuevered republicans and kept America from defaulting on her loans.  He got the inflation reduction bill passed - and it looks like it's working.  He got a VERY badly needed infrastructure bill passed; now we have funding to fix bridges, roads and airports.  He got hundreds of millions of Americans vaccinated, and helped bring us to the end of the COVID pandemic.  He capped prescription drug prices at $2000 a year for seniors on Medicare, helping the sickest people who could no longer afford their medications.  He got unemployment to historically low levels.

Now, he's also got a stutter and he's not a great public speaker.  And I certainly wouldn't pick him first for basketball.  But again, where it counts, he's delivering.

Hi Bill,

Re:  To me, results matter more than appearances.

One only has to think of FDR for this to be an accurate assessment.

Jerry Baumchen

56 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Again, no, assuming things again. Not good. I've never stepped into the box and pulled the R lever. 

Best as I can tell, none of us are presidents, governors, mayors or even school board presidents. Us goofing up is much different than the leader of the free world operating with diminished capacity. As stated previously, "My concern is simple, that the guy is not all there."

Folks seem to purposefully forget that his issues have included more than stuttering and tripping over a sandbag. Some also have different opinions about the performance on border security, the economy, inflation, debt ceiling negotiations, cost of energy, energy policy, the laptop, corruption and more. It was said that he has, "a steady hand on the tiller." That's accurate, but based on the polls, many don't agree with the direction the boat is going. We'll get to see how it plays out.

I always hope that our President does a good job. I liked what Trump accomplished but really disliked how he attacked people. Folks certainly didn't have your, "he's my President attitude" for Trump.

U R satisfied with Biden, I'm not. Fine, we have a different opinion, no problem. 

Hi Bill,

Again, think of FDR:  Us goofing up is much different than the leader of the free world operating with diminished capacity.

Jerry Baumchen

If you expect perfection from Biden, but accept Trump’s faux pas as signs of being a human being (COVFEFE, “grab them by the pussy,” the hurricane map, “I don’t need security briefings because I’m a smart guy,”), then you’re not judging by the same standards. 
Frankly, there are plenty of Democrats and Republicans I’d seriously consider before Biden, simply because of the age. The minimum age for president is 35, not 75, for Pete’s sake. But not Trump, and probably not DeSantis. I don’t care for the “any disagreement is an attack on our values” approach.

But the real point is hold any candidate up to the same judgment — if something similar were said about the other candidate, what would your reaction be?

Wendy P. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, airdvr said:

In reality a vote for Biden will most likely be a vote for Kamala.  So you should probably include some assessment of her qualifications as well.

I'd put it at "possibly" rather than "most likely." Definitely more likely than Biden possibly subbing for Obama, or even than Pence for Trump, but now I'd put Trump's health at worse than Biden's, and the ages aren't all that different. But Trump takes far worse care of his health.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, airdvr said:

In reality a vote for Biden will most likely be a vote for Kamala.  So you should probably include some assessment of her qualifications as well.

Agreed, and owing to the reality of things, I have. My assessment is that after Donald J. Trump, George W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, and many others, the United States of America is a lot harder to destroy than I previously thought. So even if she is able to do what no one before her has done, since FDR created the worlds largest middle class, and tax the rich, make health care universal, eliminate welfare work requirements, or even screw up and take children away from any parent wearing brightly colored socks, I suspect we'll be just fine until she's defeated at her first election. 

So rather than be afraid of sounds in the night I think you should fear the couple of trillion in interest only commercial loans coming due in the next two years and how when offered rates go from 3% to 7% thus shaving 50% off the properties value, and the resultant plummeting commercial property values and overall market that are going to deflate your commissions. Were I you that would be freaking me out more than someone who was a State AG, US Senator and Vice-President for some years becoming an interim US President even if she is a weird color.

Edited by JoeWeber

(edited)
2 hours ago, airdvr said:

As you should for every VP (candidate).

I am sure you loved Palin though.

Edited by SkyDekker

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm well aware of the coming commercial crash.  I'm not saying I don't like Harris.  I don't know enough about her to say one way or the other.  My point was simply Biden probably won't make it another 6 years.

Trump is only 4 years younger. Do you think that is material?

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm well aware of the coming commercial crash.  I'm not saying I don't like Harris.  I don't know enough about her to say one way or the other.  My point was simply Biden probably won't make it another 6 years.

Joe Biden: Born November 20, 1942

Plug that date into here: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/longevity.cgi

And he has an Additional Life Expectancy of 8.5 years.

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

And he also may appoint a new VP. 

Section 2

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

11 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Joe Biden: Born November 20, 1942

Plug that date into here: https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/longevity.cgi

And he has an Additional Life Expectancy of 8.5 years.

My mother lived to 93.  Her last 5 years were dementia filled.  My father also lived to 93.  He was vital, active, and aware.  I suppose it's possible but I see signs of dementia in Biden that more closely resemble my mother than my father.

31 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Section 2

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

I think Bill meant as a running mate in the next election.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Is it your prescience from which we benefit? Maybe we should tell him soon. After all his dad lived to 86 and his mom until 92. And I so do enjoy the right wing dementia stories that pop up after every one of his triumphs. Maybe we should take a chance and increase the minimum age for office to 70.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I thought McCain's use of Palin was a clever political move.  Like all candidates she had some things I agreed with and some I didn't.  Never considered her a serious POTUS possibility.

It may well have cost him the election. Each independent turned off is worth two conservative anger warriors enthused. Obama was elected with enough of a majority that it might not have mattered, but McCain lost a lot of credibility with the maverick crowd with that.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Right.  And if he wanted that to happen, Harris would be convinced, and she'd announce that she is retiring to spend more time with her family.

But more likely he would just run with a new VP.

During the Nixon presidency, when his VP resigned due to pending criminal charges, Nixon consulted with the House and they came back with Ford, a moderate.  If Biden was interested in going the same route, he could give the House a list of say five democrats he would consider, then let the House choose the most conservative of them, thus giving the House a "victory" they could tout and ensuring a more moderate VP.  Or just run a new person on the ticket.

For example, consider a Biden/Manchin ticket.  That would turn off some democrats, but would likely energize a lot more independents.  And even a few conservatives; if a lot of conservatives think that Biden is going to die in office, they might greatly prefer Manchin over Harris if the alternative was Trump.

Or consider a Biden/Sinema ticket.  That would get more democratic support and likely a LOT more independent support.  Heck, if Harris was convinced to retire, the house would probably approve replacing her mid-term.

• Like 1