8 8
Phil1111

President Biden, critics corner

39 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

My money says if it comes down to Biden vs Trump, Biden will win again.

I don't think so. Mostly because even if Biden would win by votes, I don't think America can withstand another test of its democracy with Biden as the other option.

Seems that Biden will struggle due to the economy and his apparent mental issues.

A common conversation has folks stating that they wish Trump would fade away. Crazy stuff could occur.

If Tim Scott jumps in ... what would happen if Haley and Scott declared that they were running together but didn't initially say which one would be President? IMO the country isn't ready to elect a female and Scott isn't known but they both will be strong candidates.

A safer bet is Desantis will ask one of them to be a running mate. 

9 minutes ago, billeisele said:

A common conversation has folks stating that they wish Trump would fade away. Crazy stuff could occur.

And around here they say the same thing about Biden. What a machine we have, eh?

And after we've seen the evidence of women governing (look at Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, and Jacinda Ardern for recent examples of decisive women governing and doing it well), why isn't the US ready to have a woman President? For all the same reasons it "wasn't ready" to have an African-American one?

Why should we, as a country, pander to bigots? I realize that they vote, but that's up there, morally, with saying that money can buy anything, when a bigoted vote has to be pandered to. It just pisses me off.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, billeisele said:

If Tim Scott jumps in ... what would happen if Haley and Scott declared that they were running together but didn't initially say which one would be President?

If they did that? They’d crash and burn. People don’t vote for uncertainty.

19 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Pretty easily I would think. Democrats running Biden for another election is not smart.

You run money and watch how our economy is doing, wouldn't you think our strong economy will at least remove "pretty easily" from the answer? Certainly, today's paradigm is not what were used to but from my perch the US economy seems quite good at the moment, doomsayers aside. Sure rates are up but so is interest income. My life's experience is that 6-7% money is no impediment to investing. I did well in aircraft at much higher rates than that, for sure. Yes wages are up but so is pricing with those increases moving a simple one level lower to workers in many cases. Except for the usual bubble markets, and sure the bidding wars and zero days on market times ended, but real estate is still firm with many homes still going for asking price. There is a lot of asymmetry as always, and the least capable are suffering disproportionally, but in the burb's where elections are decided it seems like things are still looking good.

• Like 1

(edited)
47 minutes ago, billeisele said:

IMO the country isn't ready to elect a female

The much hated Hilary Clinton got more votes that the idiot who won the electoral college vote IMO it may be YOU who is not ready to vote for a female POTUS. What does being "ready" mean to you anyway?

Edited by gowlerk

2 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Certainly, today's paradigm is not what were used to but from my perch the US economy seems quite good at the moment, doomsayers aside.

I agree with your assessment of the economy. But let's wait and see what the MAGAs in the house can do to screw that up this summer.

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I agree with your assessment of the economy. But let's wait and see what the MAGAs in the house can do to screw that up this summer.

Hell. trump will have MTG and his other MAGA troopers running around in circles this summer. All the witch hunts that the courts and prosecutors are putting Donald through!. They will all need investigating.

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

You run money and watch how our economy is doing, wouldn't you think our strong economy will at least remove "pretty easily" from the answer? Certainly, today's paradigm is not what were used to but from my perch the US economy seems quite good at the moment, doomsayers aside.

Not disagreeing with that, but the Republicans are much much better at controlling the narrative. I don't think Biden will show strong enough to counter that.

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

You mean the guy who went around bragging about passing a screening test for Alzheimers?

What I still love about that is how much he struggled to think of a list of five things. And even then he couldn’t think of anything else that existed outside of people and tv shows. Which is what he was doing at the time, talking to a person in front of a tv camera.

49 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Not disagreeing with that, but the Republicans are much much better at controlling the narrative. I don't think Biden will show strong enough to counter that.

They always have been but this time around, if the D’s don’t blow it, they can run on women’s rights including abortion rights and the need to protect our kids and schools and malls from senseless gun murders while also protecting everyone’s constitutional rights. Oh, and what do you think of the best economy in decades? 

I’d hone it down from there or take one out for a better idea but basically that’s it and keep it simple.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I know. It’s so rosy that RonD will probably vote D in the privacy of the voter booth.

Given the complete lack of support for Veterans by the Republicans, I cannot understand any active duty, veteran, or retired military voting for any Republican.

Yet the party has a surprising history of people supporting them while getting less than zero in return. That party has not worked for the people since I can't remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

they can run on women’s rights including abortion rights and the need to protect our kids and schools and malls from senseless gun murders while also protecting everyone’s constitutional rights.

Can they? Because the Dems have had many opportunities to codify the right to an abortion and have never chosen to pursue it. Do they really care, or do they only care for political purposes?

And they are coming for your guns has never been particularly good for Dems.

And while the economy is good for you, most people cannot really relate to sipping aged rum on the back of a yacht in the Caribbean. Some might say that puts you out of touch with the common people and the type of elitist commentary that leads to San Francisco.

23 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Can they? Because the Dems have had many opportunities to codify the right to an abortion and have never chosen to pursue it. Do they really care, or do they only care for political purposes?

And they are coming for your guns has never been particularly good for Dems.

And while the economy is good for you, most people cannot really relate to sipping aged rum on the back of a yacht in the Caribbean. Some might say that puts you out of touch with the common people and the type of elitist commentary that leads to San Francisco.

Past isn’t prologue and for most Americans history is a very thin book. I’m curious, you’ve alluded to having started out with family advantages, how isn’t you aren’t drinking better booze somewhere nice? 

(edited)
7 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And around here they say the same thing about Biden. What a machine we have, eh?

And after we've seen the evidence of women governing (look at Margaret Thatcher, Angela Merkel, and Jacinda Ardern for recent examples of decisive women governing and doing it well), why isn't the US ready to have a woman President? For all the same reasons it "wasn't ready" to have an African-American one?

Why should we, as a country, pander to bigots? I realize that they vote, but that's up there, morally, with saying that money can buy anything, when a bigoted vote has to be pandered to. It just pisses me off.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

I'm with you on this one.  However, Kamala Harris is someone that I would prefer to not have on the ballot. *

Jerry Baumchen

* Gretchen Whitmer comes to mind:  Gretchen Whitmer - Wikipedia => decisive woman governing

Edited by JerryBaumchen

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

They always have been but this time around, if the D’s don’t blow it, they can run on women’s rights including abortion rights and the need to protect our kids and schools and malls from senseless gun murders while also protecting everyone’s constitutional rights. Oh, and what do you think of the best economy in decades? 

I’d hone it down from there or take one out for a better idea but basically that’s it and keep it simple.

Hi Joe,

The pundits like to put voters into categories.  IMO the decisive votes will be the suburban females; whether they be housewives/stay-at-home-moms or those in the workforce.

I do not seeing them supporting Trump.  And, I doubt that they would support DeSantis.

I may be out in LaLa-Land, but, that is my take as of now.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Ponder this:  State Homepage - Emerge Oregon (emergeamerica.org)

They are a force to be reckoned with.  

Wendy, you could start one on the east coast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

I'm with you on this one.  However, Kamala Harris is someone that I would prefer to not have on the ballot. *

Jerry Baumchen

* Gretchen Whitmer comes to mind:  Gretchen Whitmer - Wikipedia => decisive woman governing

From what I have heard, many people don't want to see Biden or Trump on the ballot but that may be what happens,  I agree with you, I prefer not to see Kamala Harris on the ballot also.