4 4
SkyDekker

The US is a Banana Republic

19 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I have heard of art auctions. Haven't heard of too many flintlock auctions.

Gun auctions are fairly popular.

Truly collectible firearms can be worth a LOT of money. Not "Van Gogh" money, but six figures isn't uncommon.

However, any collectible is a really bad investment from a purely financial standpoint. Art, guns, cars, Beanie Babies, sports cards.

The handful of truly valuable items vs the zillions of ordinary ones make it a very tough area to reliably make money in. 

17 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

image.png.7ab3e274ae8073cc19cf67e202a1b5e0.png

Oh look, it mentions art.....but wait, what does it not mention.....flintlock

Could you possibly imagine a world where a "collectible" MIGHT . . . maybe . . . just POSSIBLY . . . include something like a flintlock?

Hmmmm?

<Eyeroll>

(edited)
3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Could you possibly imagine a world where a "collectible" MIGHT . . . maybe . . . just POSSIBLY . . . include something like a flintlock?

Hmmmm?

<Eyeroll>

Sure I can. But not too many flintlocks are being currently built to be collectibles. Most, if not all, collectible flintlocks are collectible because of the story/history behind the weapon. 

Art is being produced today.

Of course non of that has to do with the US being a Banana Republic. What does have to do with that is the President peddling conspiracy theories on twitter to justify the thuggish actions of your police.

Edited by SkyDekker

57 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Sure I can. But not too many flintlocks are being currently built to be collectibles. Most, if not all, collectible flintlocks are collectible because of the story/history behind the weapon. 

Art is being produced today.

Of course non of that has to do with the US being a Banana Republic. What does have to do with that is the President peddling conspiracy theories on twitter to justify the thuggish actions of your police.

And none of what you just said has anything to do with the conversation that was being had regarding the worth of a flintlock.

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

And none of what you just said has anything to do with the conversation that was being had regarding the worth of a flintlock.

Not at all. Flintlocks are pretty much worthless for the function they were built for. Which is why they really are not being manufactured anymore.

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Not at all. Flintlocks are pretty much worthless for the function they were built for. Which is why they really are not being manufactured anymore.

And so is art in a LOT of circumstances.

The point is, quite simply, that it DOES still has value.

Perhaps not in any way that you would like it to, especially because it doesn't fit the argument that you agree with, and perhaps even more because of how much you despise firearms.

Perhaps not in any way that you would like it to, especially because it doesn't fit the argument that you agree with, and perhaps even more because of how much you despise firearms.

There ya go.  Take a discussion and turn it into an attack on someone's values.  Thanks for making Speaker's Corner as rancorous as it is.

The point is, quite simply, that it DOES still has value.

Not for it's original purpose. There are much better and improved options available, which most, pretty much all, people acquire when they need that tool. Which was the original comment you took exception to.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, billvon said:

There ya go.  Take a discussion and turn it into an attack on someone's values.  Thanks for making Speaker's Corner as rancorous as it is.

. . . and you call ME out for that?:p

Telling.

Here's an examples of why I say that:

""You are stating your theoretical actions, decided in the comfort of your own home with the benefit of perfect hindsight, as fact. They are not. You are stating the result of those actions from you or anyone else there (Floyd alive) as fact. They are not. You may know you, but you don't know reality.""

But I get it - 

Edited by turtlespeed

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Telling.

""You are stating your theoretical actions, decided in the comfort of your own home with the benefit of perfect hindsight, as fact. They are not. You are stating the result of those actions from you or anyone else there (Floyd alive) as fact. They are not. You may know you, but you don't know reality.""

But I get it - 

Here's another little gem.

Jakee you’re expecting a reply from Trumps little apprentice. I mean look at how perfectly this phrase mimics Trump “I never said I didn't go - (Though, I did not go that night.)”

(edited)

My father-in-laws gun shop originally started as an solely antique and collectible firearm business.

www.retting.com

They still do a lot of that, flintlocks included, but the cash brought in by that arm is absolutely DWARFED by the money spent on modern firearms there.

So yes, flintlocks HAVE value. A couple of truely  exceptional pieces that have history attached to them have big dollar value. But IN GENERAL, in terms of cost to buy and value as a functional firearm, it’s nowhere near a contemporary item.

Those are facts from someone intimately familiar with the industry just to add to the discussion.

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:26 AM, markharju said:

Pure democracy is tyranny. That's why the compromise of a representative republic. I shouldn't have to explain any of this. No system is perfect, but some are less imperfect than others.

WTF? Did Turtle hijack you account?

15 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Telling.

But I get it - 

Clearly you don't. Nothing in that post is an attack on your values. It's not even a criticism of you to say that you wouldn't have stepped in, because as I pointed out, almost nobody would.

19 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Is THAT how you see that post?

:rofl:

Yes. I'm not saying or implying that you wouldn't step in because you're any kind of a coward or don't care about Floyd's life. I was very clear about that from the beginning. I'm saying that you wouldn't step in because pretty much nobody would step in. If you think it's an attack on your values to say that you're not a staggeringly exceptional human being with a sense of morality and justice and willingness to act which is a shining beacon to all mankind - that's on you.

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Yes. I'm not saying or implying that you wouldn't step in because you're any kind of a coward or don't care about Floyd's life. I was very clear about that from the beginning. I'm saying that you wouldn't step in because pretty much nobody would step in. If you think it's an attack on your values to say that you're not a staggeringly exceptional human being with a sense of morality and justice and willingness to act which is a shining beacon to all mankind - that's on you.

<facepalm>

You need to go back and re-read your posts up to this point.  ;)

32 minutes ago, jakee said:

You’ve heard the phrase beating a dead horse :)

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

You need to go back and re-read your posts up to this point.  ;)

Yes, it's a massive facepalm if you think that goalpost switch is going to go unnoticed. You chose that specific post to complain about, presumably you had a reason. If you can't explain what that reason is you must realise that your complaint is going to seem rather silly.

Edited by jakee