4 4
SkyDekker

The US is a Banana Republic

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Canada becoming a 'banana republic' over restrictive energy policies: Grafton

Oops...looks like Canukistan has a problem as well.

Our energy policies do indeed put a strain on outside investment. Not sure how you think that is the same as having unidentified federal troops patrolling your streets.....

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

Did you actually read it?

One money manager complaining about taxes, oil prices and regulation.
Who has a bunch of money invested in energy and is worried about losing. it.

'“Today we are in danger of becoming unfortunately a little bit like a banana republic on the energy side.”

Sankappanavar, who says her firm has raised and deployed $1 billion (US$760 million) in the Alberta oilpatch, blamed carbon taxes, falling oil prices and increased regulatory scrutiny under new federal government rules for contributing to what she calls an “awful” malaise in the sector.'

Comparing that to a 'Justice' department that refuses to prosecute people the President likes while, at the very same time, opens investigations into people he doesn't like that are completely unfounded.

A President who repeatedly lies about anything and everything. 
Who is trying to take actions he clearly cannot do legally.
Who is blatantly disregarding the Constitution he swore to uphold. 

Yeah.

EXACTLY the same thing.

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

"blamed carbon taxes, falling oil prices and increased regulatory scrutiny" Carbon taxes relate to the signed Paris accords supported by about 71% of Canadians. Effectively its about 22 cents per US gallon.  Regulatory scrutiny relate to industry pollution and environmental laws supported by a much higher percentage on Canadians. Oil prices are substantially beyond government and industry control.

On the TI corruption index the US has dropped 5 points since trump took office and the US ranks 8 points below Canada, Which is 12th in the world tied with several other countries. The corruption index is probably the best banana ranker.

The US, at 23rd ranks one point above Bhutan and two points above Chile.Wondering what causes changes in the TI corruption rankings? Think trump!

15 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

this is so much bullshit and has been debunked by anyone who actually reads for hundreds of years.  i for one would much rather the VOTERS in large states selecting a president rather than the APPOINTED OFFICIALS anywhere electing one.  at least the PEOPLE decide, not the ASS-KISSERS OF A POLITICAL PARTY.  name one other reason for the electorate, other than the bullshit you put down about states deciding elections, as that is patently false.

Pure democracy is tyranny. That's why the compromise of a representative republic. I shouldn't have to explain any of this. No system is perfect, but some are less imperfect than others.

16 minutes ago, markharju said:

Pure democracy is tyranny. That's why the compromise of a representative republic. I shouldn't have to explain any of this. 

Lol. You can't make such a daft, misleading point as that and have the gall to be condescending at the same time. You don't have pure democracy if you allow the people to elect the president, but at least you have some of it. You also don't have any more or less tyranny. Sure it's a nice button pushing buzzword phrase, but in context it makes absolutely no sense. The limits on tyranny are the limits placed (or not, as the case may be) on the power of the president once they are in power. If you get someone who then wants to grab significantly more power than they should be allowed is anyone going to say "Well gee, this is worrying... but at least he was elected by a minority so that's ok!"

No system is perfect, but some are less imperfect than others.

And getting rid of the EC, a system rooted in both slavery and elitism, would make yours less imperfect.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Lol. You can't make such a daft, misleading point as that and have the gall to be condescending at the same time. You don't have pure democracy if you allow the people to elect the president, but at least you have some of it. You also don't have any more or less tyranny. Sure it's a nice button pushing buzzword phrase, but in context it makes absolutely no sense. The limits on tyranny are the limits placed (or not, as the case may be) on the power of the president once they are in power. If you get someone who then wants to grab significantly more power than they should be allowed is anyone going to say "Well gee, this is worrying... but at least he was elected by a minority so that's ok!"

And getting rid of the EC, a system rooted in both slavery and elitism, would make yours less imperfect.

Highly recommended listening for anyone interested in the origins of the EC: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/817757461/the-case-for-abolishing-the-electoral-college

In 2016 I read a couple books on the constitution by Yale law professor Akhil Amar and watched a bunch of his lectures, and even I was surprised by some of the things Wegman brought up. I intend to read his book: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250221971

7 hours ago, jakee said:

Lol. You can't make such a daft, misleading point as that and have the gall to be condescending at the same time. ...

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Highly recommended listening for anyone interested in the origins of the EC: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/817757461/the-case-for-abolishing-the-electoral-college

In 2016 I read a couple books on the constitution by Yale law professor Akhil Amar and watched a bunch of his lectures, and even I was surprised by some of the things Wegman brought up. I intend to read his book: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250221971

The EC serves no useful purpose. Why would a state have a say in the life and direction of the nation state. When individual voters should have that role?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The EC serves no useful purpose. Why would a state have a say in the life and direction of the nation state. When individual voters should have that role?

A point Wegman makes in that interview is that a state govt does not even have a legal obligation to let the voters choose the electors! i.e. state officials could just appoint the electors themselves.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

i would be ok with the ec if they mandated that it followed the popular vote rather than all or nothing.  60% of the people vote for one candidate then 60% of the ec vote goes that way, rounded of course.  i have never yet heard of anyone who has a valid reason to keep it the way it is.  i will listen tot he recording sometime maybe, if there is a transcript that would be fantastic, as i can't listen to crap at work. 

and to markharju:  you don't have to explain anything to me, especially the ec and it's failing at anything but oppressing people.  i have read your comments in the past and determined that you are not only not worth listening to, it is better to just ignore anything you write.

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

A point Wegman makes in that interview is that a state govt does not even have a legal obligation to let the voters choose the electors! i.e. state officials could just appoint the electors themselves.

most of the electorals in states that i have read about are appointed as a reward for party involvement or donations.  i have not studied all of them however and i understand that some are held accountable by their states. 

1 minute ago, sfzombie13 said:

i would be ok with the ec if they mandated that it followed the popular vote rather than all or nothing.  60% of the people vote for one candidate then 60% of the ec vote goes that way, rounded of course.  i have never yet heard of anyone who has a valid reason to keep it the way it is.  i will listen tot he recording sometime maybe, if there is a transcript that would be fantastic, as i can't listen to crap at work. 

There are 2 states that have deviated from the asinine winner-take-all practice: https://www.270towin.com/content/split-electoral-votes-maine-and-nebraska

1 minute ago, sfzombie13 said:

most of the electorals in states that i have read about are appointed as a reward for party involvement or donations.  i have not studied all of them however and i understand that some are held accountable by their states. 

Yes, many states make it a crime to be a faithless elector:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector

And there is a case right now with SCOTUS over a Colorado elector who announced his intention to vote for a different candidate, (in violation of CO law), and was replaced before he could do so.

The original US was much more like the EU than it has devolved into. Just an EU where pretty much everyone with land (i.e. could vote) had descended from English. We are far more interdependent than the states were then, both on an individual and a collective level.

As a way to get the more doubtful states into the Union it was brilliant. Maybe its relevance has passed.

Wendy P.

(edited)

9 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

The original US was much more like the EU than it has devolved into. Just an EU where pretty much everyone with land (i.e. could vote) had descended from English. We are far more interdependent than the states were then, both on an individual and a collective level.

As a way to get the more doubtful states into the Union it was brilliant. Maybe its relevance has passed.

Wendy P.

That's interesting.  I haven't looked at it that way before. 

I suppose it would have had to be in some sense.  I thought there was a lot more partisanship between the states, though.  Or at least less cooperation than there is now, or as there is in the EU.

(Assuming that the states are equal to the EU countries.)

Edited by turtlespeed

(edited)
20 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

No 'maybe' in my mind.  It is antiquated as the flintlock rifle; of no use in our modern world.

Jerry Baumchen

By your logic, most things old have little or no use in our modern world.

I disagree with that though.

Take art for example.

Edited by turtlespeed