5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

The fact that the national colour of my country is orange does not mean that I am orange (or even orange-ist) myself.

I'm just saying that I have not read up on this particular subject, but it seems to be a few months too early to have high hopes about a short-term solution for COVID-19, given the timelines such solutions usually take.

Yes, there is likely more funding available than for usual projects, but still there are a lot of corners you can't (shouldn't) cut before mass-producing a cure and injecting everyone and their mom with it.

4 hours ago, jakee said:

Fucking hell. I was absolutely 100% sure you just made this one up to feed the punchline but nope, there it is live from the West Wing. Shine light inside people and clean the lungs with disinfectant. Amazing.

And in the discussion on Twitter, I just learned a new word: ultracrepidarian

13 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Jesus Trump is a moron. I just watched the clip where he suggests injecting disinfectant to kill the virus

Please show where he suggested people inject anything? 

What I saw, was that he found the concept interesting.

At the very closest to what you claim, I saw him say that the testing should be done.

10 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Honestly this has got to be one of Trumps finest moments. For all the talk about fake news, savvy politicians know that the media live for sound bites. Think before you speak! 

On the more complete video that my dad watched he does just suggest that it is a rumour or idea worth looking into. 

So you are saying that editing the video makes a little difference?

6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Americans can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but when they finally figure out what's going on, they usually act decisively. I don't think Trump has a chance in hell on re-election this year. Once the things you do as President start screwing with peoples' money, their jobs, their family's health, their kids' schooling, and other things...the politics go right out the window. Not with everyone of course, but enough of everyone. Even Richard Nixon had somewhat of an approval rating, although kind of low, on the day he resigned from office. 

Too many people have been affected. Too many have been hurt in other ways. The misery is starting to be felt. When November comes, it is very likely that so will voter backlash on the whole crazy thing. 

It's come to a point where I think a majority of Americans...not Dem or GOP by identity...I mean AMERICANS...have had quite enough of the Trump Life, thank you not that much. 

I can pretty much agree with that.

Lets just hope that we elect someone worth a shit.

Oh - yeah - All we have on deck is Biden.  :|

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I can pretty much agree with that.

Lets just hope that we elect someone worth a shit.

Oh - yeah - All we have on deck is Biden.  :|

Given he makes GWB look like a genius, even knowing almost nothing about Biden I'm almost certain he can't possibly be worse.

Heck, even Pence looks better.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Given he makes GWB look like a genius, even knowing almost nothing about Biden I'm almost certain he can't possibly be worse.

Heck, even Pence looks better.

They said that about Carter too.:/

They said that until they realized he was.  

I think I would rather have Carter than Biden though.  He doesn't seem quite as Alzheimerish.

Edited by turtlespeed

1 minute ago, turtlespeed said:

They said that about Carter too.:/

They said that until they realized he was.  

Well given how competitive Trump is, I think he will want to be the "best" at being the worst :tongue:

He seemed to think nobody had thought of that idea before. UV light on any other tissue than the skin can cause severe burns and radiation sickness. Disinfectants are extremely toxic taken internally. The discovery of antibiotics at the turn of the 20th century was so revolutionary because they could kill bacteria without killing human cells. People knew how to kill germs WAY before antibiotics arrived. Just not when they're inside the body.

I don't know much about Biden. Even if Biden was entirely frozen in ice for the 4 years of his term, the fact that he wasn't spouting stupid things endlessly would actually improve America's international reputation, just because he's NOT Trump. Foreign countries have now equated Trump to causing the US to be unreliable in trade, immigration and foreign policy.

Amazing how fast the Trumpettes came out to defend him.

Sad that there have been multiple 'Public Service Announcements' to warn people against shoving a UV light down their throat or up their butt, and to not take disinfectants like Lysol or bleach either internally or intravenously. 

35 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

At the very closest to what you claim, I saw him say that the testing should be done.

You're doing it again. Stop lying. Nigel didn't say Trump suggested that people should inject disinfectant. he said that injecting disinfectant, or getting it onto the lungs is something that would be interesting to check. That is an utterly ludicrous, incredibly stupid claim that will at best waste a lot of doctors' time as they have to deal with people coming to them asking if they should be injecting or inhaling disinfectant.

Bear in mind also that the former head of the Federal agency tasked with investigating cures for Coronavirus is currently alleging that he was fired for pushing back against Trump's last set of overblown claims about Hydroxychloroquine. So now you have Trump up there spouting more dangerous nonsense while surrounded by people who know they're going to have to walk on eggshells if they're going to try and bring reality back into the message. 

38 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Editing the video makes absolutely no difference. Whether you play the whole thing or just a few snippets what he said was reckless, dangerous and, at this stage of the game, unbelievably moronic and ignorant of any basic medical knowledge. 

I mean honestly, he'll have been getting daily reports on this for months, it's been almost an all consuming issue since early March and he still thinks it would be interesting to try cleaning people's lungs with disifectant? There is no positive spin you can put on this.

40 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

You defend the indefensible. Trump is a moron for suggesting that they ‘investigate’ injecting disinfectants. The videos are not doctored, but obviously different lengths and content slightly change how stupid he is.

Please for once admit that Trump said something stupid? You aren’t an idiot, and I suspect you’re trolling. If you aren’t trolling then I honestly believe you must be a closet Trump voter, just too ashamed to admit it.

(edited)
57 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

What he said exactly in the video was:

"So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous -- whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light -- and I think you said that that hasn't been checked, but you're going to test it. And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that too. It sounds interesting...
"...Right. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you're going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds -- it sounds interesting to me.
"So we'll see. But the whole concept of the light, the way it kills it in one minute, that's -- that's pretty powerful."

The concept is only interesting if you want an almost 100% effective way to kill patients. Testing of this should NOT be done.

I cannot emphasize enough, testing of this should NOT ever be done.

Edited by olofscience

8 minutes ago, olofscience said:

What he said exactly in the video was:

The concept is only interesting if you want an almost 100% effective way to kill patients. Testing of this should NOT be done.

I cannot emphasize enough, testing of this should NOT ever be done.

You’re wasting your breath

2 hours ago, jakee said:

You're doing it again. Stop lying. Nigel didn't say Trump suggested that people should inject disinfectant. he said that injecting disinfectant, or getting it onto the lungs is something that would be interesting to check. That is an utterly ludicrous, incredibly stupid claim that will at best waste a lot of doctors' time as they have to deal with people coming to them asking if they should be injecting or inhaling disinfectant.

Already happened.  ED docs at a hospital in the Bay Area had to tell several people that doing that would injure or kill them.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Latest right wing "virus hoax" claim -

Tucker Carlson claims that the left is staging a "flu d'etat" where they are trying to illegally remove Trump from office and "crush you" by . . . . pretending COVID-19 is dangerous.

Every day more people die of COVID-19 in the US than of the flu in the world.

It's only the Lamestream Media, doctors, Dems, and other agents of the Deep State who are telling you not to mainline disinfectant.

So clearly, MAGA folks, that is exactly what you should be doing.  And the boost in Lysol sales will help keep the economy going.

7 hours ago, nigel99 said:

You defend the indefensible. Trump is a moron for suggesting that they ‘investigate’ injecting disinfectants. The videos are not doctored, but obviously different lengths and content slightly change how stupid he is.

Please for once admit that Trump said something stupid? You aren’t an idiot, and I suspect you’re trolling. If you aren’t trolling then I honestly believe you must be a closet Trump voter, just too ashamed to admit it.

For all the talk of blocking Turtle. Keep in mind  trump still has about 40% support and many of his supporters watch and hear the same subjects discussed here. His supporters know he was a crook and stupid before they voted for him.

Day after day trump goes up to the podium and says stuff so stupid as to defy imagination. Yet his party refuses to restrain him. His staff refuses to tell him to shut the F**k up. Surely there are lurkers that are trump supporters that read and watch the news regarding all this.

Yet like Turtle they all still support idiocy and trump. Which is worse those that say stupid S*#t or those that stand by and do or say nothing? Like his party, Mitch McConnell etc.

Oh and speaking of idiots: McConnell signals interest in protecting employers from coronavirus litigation   Fifty thousand dead, whats the price on some more.

48 minutes ago, kallend said:

It's only the Lamestream Media, doctors, Dems, and other agents of the Deep State who are telling you not to mainline disinfectant.

Update - today Trump claimed he was kidding about injecting Lysol and UV lamps.  He said he was just doing that to fool reporters there, "just to see what would happen."

Up next - Trump tells a funny joke that we have launched a strike on Tehran, "just to see what would happen" with the fake world media.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Update - today Trump claimed he was kidding about injecting Lysol and UV lamps.  He said he was just doing that to fool reporters there, "just to see what would happen."

My favourite bit of that (paraphrasing) - 

Trump to reporter: I was talking to you, I was looking at you when I said it.

Reporter: No you weren't. I wasn't there.

Trump: <Turns to other reporter> I was looking at you!

Other reporter: No, you were looking at Dr. Birx.

So trustworthy. So very trustworthy:rofl: