brenthutch

Climatism, the new religion

On 1/10/2020 at 2:29 PM, turtlespeed said:

I do not dislike homosexuals.  I hold no predudice against them.  I do not agree with their lifestyle.  I would not willingly engage in homosexual acts.  That does not put me in the homophobe box.

It's funny, no-one was accusing you of being a homophobe until you said something homophobic while for some reason pre-emptively defending yourself against the accusation. I guess you must have known what was in your own mind.

I disagree with some of the lifestyle choices made that generally are the cause of popular stereotyping.

Oh right, 'some' of them? And yet you made the sweeping generalisation that you disagree with the lifestyle of homosexuals. Not some of them, them. I'm sorry, but since the purported reason you're in this thread in the first place is that you disagree with imprecise use of language you're going to have to own that statement. There is no reason that you could have for disagreeing with the lifestyle of all homosexuals apart from just not liking the fact that they are gay. That does make you a homophobe.

Is it laziness, or was changing the definition of "Homophobia" to include a simple disagreement with, because it is more sensational, outrageous, and biting?

Probably just because 'homosexualist' sounds more like someone who does homosexual things. I'd be happy to call you that if you prefer, though.

3 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I'm confused. 

In another thread - you led us to believe that was something you already knew.

I'm confused too - in another thread you said that once a changing definition was enshrined in the dictionary it's not wrong anymore. So if it's not the flexible nature of the english language that's got you so worked up here I guess it must be your discomfort at knowing it's describing you.

(edited)
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Brent, you are so indoctrinated. He was referring to revealed truths. Do you see Jesus in wet windows, too?

Truths revealed to Saint Greta by the IPCC, and adhered to religiously by the parishioners  in the church of climatism.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Truths revealed to Saint Greta by the IPCC, and adhered to religiously by the parishioners  in the church of climatism.

Weaker than usual, but that's cool. I'm curious, what is the connective tissue that joins AGW climate change denial, extreme second amendment beliefs, homophobia and default support of Trump? The thing is you are not unusual or special at all. Yes, here you get to be special but you aren't, really. Out in the real world there are boat loads of you's all believing the same basket of stuff. Why?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

OK lets get one thing strait, I am not a homophobe (ask any of my gay friends) and I do not support Trump. And my positions have nothing to do with belief.

Doesn't matter dude.  Today, both liberalism and conservatism are package deals - join or die!

27 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

"Clowns to the left of me jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle"

"My balls are always bouncing, to the left and to the right"

This reminds me of a thread that Shrop created almost 10 years ago:

(edited)
10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

OK lets get one thing strait, I am not a homophobe (ask any of my gay friends) and I do not support Trump. And my positions have nothing to do with belief.

You are anywhere but in the middle, Brent. All of the below is based on your writings on these pages.

Your position on climate change is at the extreme end the spectrum. You are cool with it because you believe it will all work out for the better, now and in the future. You can not prove any of that, you dismiss world wide negative effects as counter balanced by certain transitory and mostly local positive effects. And wrap that in a belief that increased atmospheric CO2 is the birthright of developing nations that they too may gas themselves to economic prosperity. That no one, in particular you, has the slightest clue how to correct things if you are as wrong as the overwhelming majority of world scientists believe you are tell me that you are simply indoctrinated.

Your Second Amendment beliefs are also extreme. You believe that Scalia's reconstructed version in DC v. Heller confirms your constitutional right to own flame thrower's, hand grenades or even the vaporizing Ray Guns of the future. That isn't just apparent nonsense to anyone not hypnotized but it is also extreme.

You make the lame assertion that Gay sex is a simple choice they make and you support the appointment of judges who will discriminate against your "gay friends" thereby reversing a decade of human rights progress in this country. Along side of that is the degradation of women's rights, too. Is that what you want or is it simply acceptable collateral damage if environmental regulations are eroded, the fossil fuel industry is less burdened by social concerns and poor people get a larger shaft? Take the ones you like but all of those positions are extreme and extremely unflattering.

And you do have a default support of Trump and have written so here. Why? Well, I do believe you have written it is for the above wonderful benefits received, and no nose holding required.

As I said, you aren't special. There are lot's of you's. My curiosity, and my question to you, is why do those positions, so often the positions of the conservative religious, so often end up in the same basket? 

Edited by JoeWeber

(edited)

Joe, I am a pragmatic libertarian

With regard to the climate, I just laugh at you guys who think they are going to "SAVE THE PLANET" by driving a golf cart, going vegan, putting up solar panels and banning plastic straws.  I don't like our taxpayer money to be wasted on species annihilating wind mills that do absolutely nothing to stop bad weather.  

When the tragic wildfire struck Paradise CA, folks on this forum and across the nation blamed it on climate change.  They said the unusually hot and dry conditions brought on by climate change caused the fire.(after all that is just common sense and it is exactly what the scientists said would happen).  Well, I did a little digging and as it turns out, there was not a drought, (in fact precipitation was just ABOVE average).  Temperatures were in the mid 70's, and winds were low teens.  If you think that is climate change, I would rethink just who is indoctrinated.

My position on the second amendment is in alignment with the current law of the land.  Again just WHO is indoctrinated?

The gay thing is not worth even addressing. (other than an example of how I live, rent free, in your head)

As far as Trump is concerned... let me explain it this way;

You are at a gas station in NJ, there are two pumps, one is attended by a neo-nazi/clansman-homophobic misogynist and the other pump is being manned (couldn't help myself) by Rachael Maddow.

At the first pump you will get your tank filled, your windows cleaned, your fluid levels checked and topped off and your tire pressure checked.  At pump number two Rachael will crack your windshield, pump gas into the back seat, cut your tires and throw a match in.

WHICH PUMP DO YOU CHOOSE?  (remember, this is NJ and you don't have the option of pumping it yourself and you only have enough gas to pull into pump one or pump two)

Edited by brenthutch

37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Well, I did a little digging and as it turns out, there was not a drought, (in fact precipitation was just ABOVE average).  Temperatures were in the mid 70's, and winds were low teens.  If you think that is climate change, I would rethink just who is indoctrinated.

That is weather, not climate.

37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You are at a gas station in NJ, there are two pumps, one is attended by a neo-nazi/clansman-homophobic misogynist and the other pump is being manned (couldn't help myself) by Rachael Maddow.

That is self validating silliness. And I know you can't help yourself.

Everyone is in the middle of their own thought/political/whatever path. It takes a little acceptance of complexity and respect for others' right to their own experience and judgment to see that one's path might not actually define "the road."

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Everyone is in the middle of their own thought/political/whatever path. It takes a little acceptance of complexity and respect for others' right to their own experience and judgment to see that one's path might not actually define "the road."

Wendy P.

Agreed and to some degree where you are. I am a card carrying federal conservative in Canada. I would likely be a democrat in the US. So am I right or left?