brenthutch

Climatism, the new religion

14 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Do you, or do you not believe that something can be disagreed with, without irrational fear attached to it?

Sure, you can disagree with whatever you like.  You might, for example, disagree that blacks are as good as whites, and should not be allowed to marry white women/hold the same jobs as whites/vote.  That would be a valid disagreement with current policy.  It would also be quite racist.  Calling someone racial epithets, or saying "why not send our colored cousins home again?" are all shorthands for that sort of racism.  Again, as an example.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It was a joke, I forgot that you lefties are bereft of humor.  Don't forget to say your ten hail Greta's and have a good new year.

Before you go accusing me of not having a sense of humour maybe you should try using a joke that contains something more than just expressing your meanness.

18 hours ago, billvon said:

Sure, you can disagree with whatever you like.  You might, for example, disagree that blacks are as good as whites, and should not be allowed to marry white women/hold the same jobs as whites/vote.  That would be a valid disagreement with current policy.  It would also be quite racist.  Calling someone racial epithets, or saying "why not send our colored cousins home again?" are all shorthands for that sort of racism.  Again, as an example.

OK - but in what you wrote as an example, is that racism, or xenophobia?

In your response where you respond with the word Homophobia: Is it actually Homophobia you are describing?  

If I disagree with abortion, do I now have an irrational fear of it?

If I disagree with infanticide, do I now have an irrational fear of it?

19 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Before you go accusing me of not having a sense of humour maybe you should try using a joke that contains something more than just expressing your meanness.

Well, it's the "I was only joking" defense.

Anytime the blatant offensiveness is called out, it becomes 'just a joke'.

On 12/31/2019 at 4:09 PM, brenthutch said:

I am not talking about "judgmental elitist liberal assholes"

That's a relief, I thought this was about me. So now that I'm in a religion like you tell me: do 98% of scientists agree with either of your religions?

On 1/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, brenthutch said:

It was a joke, I forgot that you lefties are bereft of humor.  Don't forget to say your ten hail Greta's and have a good new year.

No kidding, we are all so tight assed but not you. You alway's crack me up!

21 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

In your response where you respond with the word Homophobia: Is it actually Homophobia you are describing?  

That is a good point, it opens the door to, "taxcutaphope" "CO2aphobe" "2ndAmendaphobe" "securetheborderphobe".  That said I will leave the insults, name calling and personal attacks to the lefties.

From the Atlantic

"I teach environmental law, so naturally people get around to asking whether my wife and I struggled with what it means to bring a child onto this troubled planet, and whether it is a good thing to do at all.

I take the point. James added his seven pounds, 10 ounces to a planet where humans and our domestic animals together outweigh the other land-based vertebrates by 24 to 1. As an American, he can expect to emit 16 metric tons of carbon a year, compared with five for a French newborn and about two for a baby in India or Indonesia."

Sound like original sin to me.

Original sin: "Original sin is an Augustine Christian doctrine that says that everyone is born sinful. This means that they are born with a built-in urge to do bad things" (like emit carbon)

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/01/becoming-parent-age-climate-crisis/604372/

On 1/2/2020 at 5:38 AM, turtlespeed said:

Racism is dislike of, or fear of, people of other races.  Xenophobia is the same for outsiders.  So that example would be racist.

Yes, what I am describing is homophobia.  That's fear of OR dislike of gay people.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Racism is dislike of, or fear of, people of other races.  Xenophobia is the same for outsiders.  So that example would be racist.

Yes, what I am describing is homophobia.  That's fear of OR dislike of gay people.

What does avoiding risky sexual practices have anything to do with a phobia?  Let's get back on topic and discuss your irrational and extreme fear of CO2.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

What does avoiding risky sexual practices have anything to do with a phobia?  Let's get back on topic and discuss your irrational and extreme fear of CO2. 

If I put some CO2 in a discharge tube, add some optics and mirrors, will you stand in front of it while I turn it on? After all CO2 is nothing to be afraid of.

What does avoiding risky sexual practices have anything to do with a phobia?  

I suspect that far more people have picked up syphilis, etc, from heterosexual encounters.  And then there are unwanted pregnancies. . . . . . . . 

What does avoiding risky sexual practices have anything to do with a phobia?  

It doesn't.  If you don't want to be gay but you are accepting of gay people, you are not homophobic.  Indeed, you can be terrified of gay people and still engage in very risky sexual practices, so they don't really have anything to do with each other.  Perhaps you don't understand the meanings of the words you are using?

Let's get back on topic and discuss your irrational and extreme fear of CO2.

Sure.  Let's start with your irrational and extreme fear of science.

17 hours ago, billvon said:

By your definition - not the one below - 

If I disagree with or dislike the weather, and decide to not go outside I am now an agoraphobic.

It's true in a microscopic view, but not reasonably true.

Just as if a person disagrees with Trump and his policies, that doesn't make that person Trumpaphobic.

phobia

noun

pho·bia | \ ˈfō-bē-ə  \

Definition of phobia

(Entry 1 of 2)

: an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

"Yes, what I am describing is homophobia.  That's fear of OR dislike of gay people."

By your definition - not the one below - 

You looked up phobia, not homophobia.  Let's do that:

dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.   (dictionary.com)

irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals (webster)

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.  (Wikipedia)

Homophobia is fear or dislike of gay people.  Yes, phobia means fear.  But homophobia doesn't just mean irrational fear of gays, just like hydrophobia or hydrophobic doesn't just mean irrational fear of water. 

Take another example.  Con means against, but it be silly to claim that convicts are people against victs, or that containers are the opposite of tainers.  They are different words.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

You looked up phobia, not homophobia.  Let's do that:

dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.   (dictionary.com)

irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals (webster)

Homophobia encompasses a range of negative attitudes and feelings toward homosexuality or people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.  (Wikipedia)

Homophobia is fear or dislike of gay people.  Yes, phobia means fear.  But homophobia doesn't just mean irrational fear of gays, just like hydrophobia or hydrophobic doesn't just mean irrational fear of water. 

Take another example.  Con means against, but it be silly to claim that convicts are people against victs, or that containers are the opposite of tainers.  They are different words.

I get what you are are saying.

Here is what I found: Google

Dictionary

ho·mo·pho·bi·a
/ˌhōməˈfōbēə/
noun

1. dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

I think you are assuming that anyone that doesn't agree with Homosexuality has a dislike of Homosexuals.  I think that is untrue.  

I do not dislike homosexuals.  I hold no predudice against them.  I do not agree with their lifestyle.  I would not willingly engage in homosexual acts.  That does not put me in the homophobe box.

I don't agree with (Furries or Fuzzies), I hold no predudice against them.  I do not agree with their lifestyle.  I would not willingly engage in Furrie of Fuzzy acts of sex.  That does not put me in the box of being a Fuzziphobe.

For arguments sake - say that the word Homophobe is all encompassing now.

Im curious - why change the general most accepted use/definition of a phobia though?

Is it laziness, or was changing the definition of "Homophobia" to include a simple disagreement with, because it is more sensational, outrageous, and biting?

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I do not dislike homosexuals.  I hold no predudice against them.  I do not agree with their lifestyle.  I would not willingly engage in homosexual acts.  That does not put me in the homophobe box.

No one is calling you a homophobe, but what do you mean when you say "I do not agree with their lifestyle"? What is it that you disagree with? The "joke" that brenthutch made that set us all off on this tangent was:

Or don't let a dude stick his penis up your butt if you are a dude.  A simple behavioral modification.

This is an example of victim blaming. It is a pretty clear example of what we call "homophobia". It indicates that the person making the statement believes that if a gay man gets AIDS it is his own fault. It is basically the position of many people in the Ronald Reagan era when AIDS first emerged in the USA. No matter how you interpret "phobia", this attitude is part of what we have come to call "homophobia".

BTW, is it okay to let a dude stick his penis up your butt if you are not a dude?

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

The differentiating question about homophobia vs. just not being homosexual/bisexual is do you disagree with their lifestyle for them, or only as a choice for yourself? It's not like people choose which gender they're attracted it, it's only a choice to do something about it. Homophobia is if you think it's wrong for them to act on their own urges with other consenting adults.

The unfortunate are the people who are attracted to children; they also apparently don't choose, but it's illegal, and wrong, to choose to act on those urges. And yes, if they do choose to act on those urges, the children are WAY more unfortunate.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

but what do you mean when you say "I do not agree with their lifestyle"?

I disagree with some of the lifestyle choices made that generally are the cause of popular stereotyping.

I look at it along the same lines as I imagine you view partitioners of a church, Synagogue, or other place of worship.