1 1
swoopgirl

Greta Hates You All

2 hours ago, kallend said:

If the right wingers and deniers hadn't decided to bully her over and over again in the media, she would not have gained any prominence.  Every post like yours adds a little more to her credibility.

No more or less than every post like yours, John. We're just a collection of nobody's posting on an obscure forum.  I really doubt we're moving our own needle much less any media needles. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I didn't notice anyone giving a crap about her until some of her parents rich friends gave her a hop to the USA on their $5 Million IMOCA 60' World Circumnavigation racing yacht, truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't self identify as a right winger and I'm no climate change denier by a long shot. I simply think she's a construct and a damn rude young woman; certainly I think, by her behavior, she makes a poor role model for kids. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I didn't notice anyone giving a crap about her until some of her parents rich friends gave her a hop to the USA on their $5 Million IMOCA 60' World Circumnavigation racing yacht, truly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

You were not paying attention. But that's because the USA was not paying attention. She was already a force in the rest of the western world. The Beatles didn't matter until they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show either.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rick said:

President Trump's tweet from this morning:"So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!"

very Presidential :/

He's just mad at Time magazine, again. Because it's not about him.

16 minutes ago, Rick said:

President Trump's tweet from this morning:"So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill!"

very Presidential :/

Trump? Thinks SHE has an anger problem? I've never heard her talk about locking people up or building walls. Or nasty people. HOW DARE HE!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Mark,

What in the world do you mean?

You do know that he has TIME covers showing him as POY.  :S

Jerry Baumchen

Not this time! His perspective is that he should always be on the cover while winning a Nobel Prize!

My favorites:

g9510-20_trump-coverfinal.jpg

intcover0227lr.jpg

tim190325v1_impeach.coverfinal.jpg

trump.cornered.cover_.jpg

trump-immigration-final.jpg

trump-king1.jpg

trumpputinfinalcover1.jpg

trumpstormycover.jpg

trump-yearone.jpg

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

No more or less than every post like yours, John. We're just a collection of nobody's posting on an obscure forum.  I really doubt we're moving our own needle much less any media needles. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I didn't notice anyone giving a crap about her until some of her parents rich friends gave her a hop to the USA on their $5 Million IMOCA 60' World Circumnavigation racing yacht, truly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I don't self identify as a right winger and I'm no climate change denier by a long shot. I simply think she's a construct and a damn rude young woman; certainly I think, by her behavior, she makes a poor role model for kids. 

It's not about DZ.COM posts.  The bullying Greta posts are all over Twitter, Facebook, right wing troll sites, etc.  THEY have brought a rather obscure young woman to international prominence.  If they'd just ignored her, she'd be forgotten by now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kallend said:

It's not about DZ.COM posts.  The bullying Greta posts are all over Twitter, Facebook, right wing troll sites, etc.  THEY have brought a rather obscure young woman to international prominence.  If they'd just ignored her, she'd be forgotten by now.

Yup, what's the big deal? Why does she matter? It's simple, she matters because of the reaction she gets.

17 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yup, what's the big deal? Why does she matter? It's simple, she matters because of the reaction she gets.

Well, the fact that she happens to be right is part of it.

"They" hate it when it's pointed out how wrong they are.

I don't blame her for being pissed off.

She is watching the world be seriously damaged. And nobody is willing to do anything about it.
Many deny that it's even happening. 

Those folks are going to be dead in 20 or 30 years. She's go upwards of 70 years to have to deal with the mess she (and those that will come along with and after her) is being left.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

A common way to describe those on the autism spectrum. Unfortunate to see you falling in the same trap.

I accept the scolding as deserved for characterizing Greta that way. Before responding further I'll do some more research but it is my understanding that the autism spectrum is just that, not black and white. 

14 hours ago, kallend said:

THEY have brought a rather obscure young woman to international prominence.  If they'd just ignored her, she'd be forgotten by now.

She is less than obscure - check out her wiki page. My concern for Greta is too much, too fast.  

8 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

She is less than obscure - check out her wiki page. My concern for Greta is too much, too fast.  

Very true at the present.

But it was the Alt-Right and AGW Denier crowd that brought her to prominence.

Their hatred, vitriol & bullying were what gave her the exposure and 'celebrity status'.

Any idea how many folks address the UN each year? 

I honestly don't know. I did a quick search, but couldn't find a tally.
It has to be 'more than a few'.

How many other than Greta's did you hear about? 
How many other than Greta's did the right wing lose their shit about?

I've read a few articles about her. From what I've seen, she seems to be handling both sides of it reasonably well.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

What is going to happen to her when she is no longer the flavor of the week?  I guess she could get with David Hogg and form a support group.

29 minutes ago, airdvr said:
8 hours ago, Erroll said:

Indeed. She spoke 'an inconvenient truth'.....

Hehe...you got the tail wagging the dog.  Media knew she would be a hit and promoted her.  As usual it worked.

Using a sick child to promote their message like this says more about them than their message.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Using a sick child to promote their message like this says more about them than their message.

Her message was promoted by the deniers on the right (especially Trump).  Every bullying meme they posted incrementally raised her profile.  The right wingers leveraged her message beyond anything her promoters could have hoped to achieve on their own.

44 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Hehe...you got the tail wagging the dog.  Media knew she would be a hit and promoted her.  As usual it worked.

As usual Americans only look at what happened in America. What she is actually known for in the world is inspiring and leading school aged people to speak out and protest. The media did not invite her to speak at the UN they just covered it. She is bringing  a large amount of attention to an issue that the American right wing is trying to sweep under the rug and ignore. Of course it is far too large for that tactic to work, so why not spread hate for the "rude" 16 yo who dares to challenge the men in dark suits?

1 minute ago, kallend said:
12 minutes ago, Coreece said:

The right wingers leveraged her message beyond anything her promoters could have hoped to achieve on their own.

I'm not surprised that you're OK with them using a sick child as a troll.