1 1
swoopgirl

Greta Hates You All

No.

On the other hand, she seems to be quite aware of what she’s doing. She’s not an adult, but at 16 she’s of marriageable age in many countries (including parts of the US), and if she were in many sports or music, she’d have to already be committed to them.  Maybe she’s decided this is her path. 

Wendy P. 

16 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Are you OK with ANY child being used as a troll?

So, what's with the name calling? She is not a troll, you just don't like her message. She is not being used, she is using. And she is using very well. Apparently she is doing it well enough that you would be reduced to insulting her instead of addressing her message. Why is that? Are you not smart enough?

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:
20 minutes ago, Coreece said:

So, what's with the name calling? She is not a troll

It's clear she's being used as a troll and if you can't see that, I'd suppose you're just blinded by your bias and hatred for the right.

24 minutes ago, Coreece said:

It's clear she's being used as a troll and if you can't see that, I'd suppose you're just blinded by your bias and hatred for the right.

So, you have nothing at all to say about her message? She is not relevant except as a target it seems. There have been more than one right winger here who objects to being characterized as being motivated by hatred. But it seems to be just fine for some.

Edited by gowlerk

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

So, you have nothing at all to say about her message?

I've already explained to you numerous times about what I think of the whole "think of the children" type arguments, which is exactly what this is - just more unnecessary emotional BS. 

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

I'm not surprised that you're OK with them using a sick child as a troll.

Are you serious in this statement?  This is exactly what he's talking about, this effort to paint her as being mentally deranged.  It's so bizarre to see this being done as if you don't realize you've joined the mob of people who can't intelligently dispute her message and instead try to set her on fire.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Have you considered that she's acting on her own volition?

22 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I've already explained to you numerous times about what I think of the whole "think of the children" type arguments, which is exactly what this is - just more unnecessary emotional BS. 

To you she is a troll. To her peers she is a leader. She and they are not "thinking of the children". They are thinking of their own future in their own lifetimes. It's almost like they are greedy right wingers!

Edited by gowlerk

On 12/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, gowlerk said:

You were not paying attention. But that's because the USA was not paying attention. She was already a force in the rest of the western world. The Beatles didn't matter until they appeared on the Ed Sullivan show either.

If you were following her before her trip to America then you have the advantage on me. 

Since I was called out by Skydekker over my apparent ignorance of ASD I've been making an effort to become more familiar with the subject. That includes not only Aspergers but OCD and Selective Mutism. Needless to say, these are very complex areas individually and become more so when examined together. Not everyone is equally afflicted. Interestingly, some businesses are interested in hiring employees with ASD for their focused, get it done attitudes.

I won't say I yet have any understanding worth sharing.  I will say that unless someone has a degree, focused personal study, clinical experience or significant personal experience in these areas they might want to go easy with the definitions and recriminations.

For context I watched three high profile speeches Greta has given. Maybe you've seen them all.

TEDx Stockholm

November 24, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmmUIEsN9A

UN New York

September 23, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJsdgTPJpU

Cop25

December 11, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11FCyUB81rI

In each case the speech was read from paper or a prompter. Also in each case the words read matched the style of presentation. As I've indicated, her UN presentation left me unimpressed. Had I only seen the TEDx and COP 25 presentations I would have seen only an articulate, knowledgable, passionate and impressive young woman. 

5 hours ago, gowlerk said:

But, it makes great memes! The "how dare you" clip will be a classic for a long time.

Yes. But unfortunately it seems forced, even planned, in stark contrast to the genuine passion in her TEDx and Cop 25  presentations. Watch the videos. Compare the texts. Is it truly a wonder that the right calls her an actress? I'm not saying she is acting. I am saying that we need to be able to call ourselves out too.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think you need to take another look at the UN speech.

The biggest problem I have with her is the attempt to scare children all over the world with the thought that the world is coming to an end.  Panic induces poor decisions.

Panic and fear is how the left drive their policies.

11 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Panic and fear is how the left drive their policies.

For crap's sake. How many liberals are vocally scared of living in cities, scared of Moozlims, scared of minorities, scared of being without their guns? Yeah, we're good at political correctness, but on the other hand, so are the conservatives, just in a different direction (want to talk about the "war on Christmas?"). 

Fear is how weak people without ideas get others to see things their way. Personal safety is a driving concern for most of us, so fear-mongering is definitely a way forward for them. If one is strong of one's own accord, then one shouldn't need to fear.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

For crap's sake. How many liberals are vocally scared of living in cities, scared of Moozlims, scared of minorities, scared of being without their guns?

>>>You lived in Texas for a long time - You know as well as I do that there are many liberals that still fit that bill.

Yeah, we're good at political correctness, but on the other hand, so are the conservatives, just in a different direction (want to talk about the "war on Christmas?"). 

>>>I'm  open to discuss about anything - The war on Christmas isn't something I'm familiar with.  I have heard some mention, but never paid much attention.

Fear is how weak people without ideas get others to see things their way. Personal safety is a driving concern for most of us, so fear-mongering is definitely a way forward for them. If one is strong of one's own accord, then one shouldn't need to fear.

>>>I agree with that.  But does it not also hold that if one's ideas are strong of their own accord, then fear shouldn't be needed to drive them?

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

I can't even stomach some of this BS, I don't even want to try anymore.

They come in here talking about how the right is bullying this poor, little "small teenage girl" - and then when you call out the alarmists for taking advantage of her, suddenly she's this sophisticated 16 year-old woman that could be married and have a record deal or a sporting contract, or who knows what else, maybe even raising a family of her own, yet this sophisticated self-respecting woman of power can't be criticized for going on and acting out like a child on the world stage?

And for me, it's not even about Greta or arguing against climate science - it's about how the alarmists are just using her along with all their other unnecessary emotional BS tactics - and none of it helps, if anything it just entrenches both sides even further into their respective flavor of shit.

And then there was Nick Sandmann, who didn't even say a damn word, and actually tried to diffuse the situation by gesturing to his friends to tone it down so as not to exacerbate the situation, but suddenly he's the one that's being disrespectful to adults, suddenly he's the "smirk-face little prick," suddenly he's the new MAGA mega-asshole of the week - give me a break.

It's all just a bunch of partisan bullshit dripping with hypocrisy - and nobody really gives a shit because apparently the end justifies the means.

24 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I can't even stomach some of this BS, I don't even want to try anymore.

They come in here talking about how the right is bullying this poor, little "small teenage girl" - and then when you call out the alarmists for taking advantage of her, suddenly she's this sophisticated 16 year-old woman that could be married and have a record deal or a sporting contract, or who knows what else, maybe even raising a family of her own, yet this sophisticated self-respecting woman of power can't be criticized for going on and acting out like a child on the world stage?

And for me, it's not even about Greta or arguing against climate science - it's about how the alarmists are just using her along with all their other unnecessary emotional BS tactics - and none of it helps, if anything it just entrenches both sides even further into their respective flavor of shit.

And then there was Nick Sandmann, who didn't even say a damn word, and actually tried to diffuse the situation by gesturing to his friends to tone it down so as not to exacerbate the situation, but suddenly he's the one that's being disrespectful to adults, suddenly he's the "smirk-face little prick," suddenly he's the new MAGA mega-asshole of the week - give me a break.

It's all just a bunch of partisan bullshit dripping with hypocrisy - and nobody really gives a shit because apparently the end justifies the means.

And, there goes another angry rant from another angry white man who can't stand the change in society.

• Like 1

Well, some of the folks were decrying the bullying, others weren't. It's tacky, but if you play in the big leagues, then you have to expect to get beaned by an asshole sometimes.

Some folks on the right think the wall is a primary concern of the country, and that it should take priority over everything else (well, except for the army, social security, etc). Other folks on the right (I'm FB friends with a noticeable number of Texas skydivers, so I know some of them) think that liberals (like me) are the enemy of America, or they think that Muslims should be barred from any position of responsibility in the country. 

I understand that none of these folks are entirely representative of "the right." These are concerns of people who love America, and I don't share some of them in the same way they do. Telling me that I'm an enemy of America for not sharing their concerns is no different from calling someone on the right a fascist for being for more controls over immigration. 

In the US we seem to have turned the volume on just about everything to 11. I find that closing my ears, considering that these are often people that I know in real life, that they have earned the right to their opinions, and just moving on, helps the most. 

So in real life, I'm donating to and volunteering for food security, poverty alleviation, housing, ranked choice voting, and other things that I think are important locally. Because I can affect local; I really can't affect the country or the US. And it makes me less angry.

Liberals are no worse than conservatives; I find being called a traitor to be pretty awful, but, ya know, to my face they not only don't say it, they don't think it. That's probably true of the strident liberals, too.

Wendy P.