3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Short term survival takes precedence over long term sustainability. By the time it becomes bad enough to be seriously noticeable, it's too late.

This will be the ultimate test of our species.   Think of how many other species in the span from amoeba to sentient beings in the universe have blinked out of existence because they couldn't do this.  It almost happened to us twice already and on every continent there are plenty of examples of civilizations doing this to themselves.  Now here we are doing it on a global scale and we're not acting fast enough because denying it has become a tool used by politicians to get elected.

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Nope.  But if you get a solar power system and pay less for electricity, it will help a little bit.

Quantify “little bit”

Just ran an online calculator from a solar installation website.  Upfront cost $21,000 (with incentives, AKA taxpayer $$$), twenty year savings $6000.  Presumably my savings would drop as efficiently drops as the useful lifespan ends in about 30 years.  

Full disclosure, I ran the numbers on one of my rentals so there is less than massive rooftop real estate.  When I ran my primary residence it said “information unavailable, please contact your local solar panel installer”

My primary residence also has several mature trees that block southern exposure, so it looks like solar is not an option for me

That said, if the cost were $6000 and the savings were $21,000 I would break out my chainsaw in a heartbeat.

Edited by brenthutch

On 8/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, billvon said:

That was true 30 years ago of many places up North.  Fortunately you're changing the climate, so now they're feeling more at home!  Another way Trump is winning.

mosquito-habitat (1).gif

That doesn't seem to be correct.

I'm certain there were moszys attacking me when I visited Alaska in the early to mid 70's.

Like epidemic kinda shit - even then.

Here is an article I found while searching that backs that up - https://www.adn.com/wildlife/article/bloodletting-worsens-during-alaskas-legendary-mosquito-infestation/2013/07/01/

That knowledge comes courtesy of a gutsy scientist named Richard Gorham, who in 1975 rolled up a sleeve and bared a forearm during a summer day on the Arctic tundra. The whining critters peppered him 435 times in five minutes.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:49 AM, turtlespeed said:

The graphic is a depiction of the number of months that mosquitos could transmit aedes aegypti.  I agree that the header is misleading.

Edited by DJL

On 9/11/2019 at 9:49 PM, turtlespeed said:

I'm certain there were moszys attacking me when I visited Alaska in the early to mid 70's.

As they were attacking me in the 1990's in Wasilla.  But note that the image isn't "places where there are mosquitoes" - the image shows the number of months out of a year that allow disease transmission via mosquito.  As it gets warmer, they are increasing.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

The graphic is a depiction of the number of months that mosquitos could transmit aedes aegypti.  I agree that the header is misleading.

That is not what the graphic is displaying.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

But note that the image isn't "places where there are mosquitoes" - the image shows the number of months out of a year that allow disease transmission via mosquito.

That is closer, but also not entirely true, because they are referencing a specific mosquito. Hence why Brenthutch's statements around malaria aren't correct. This type of mosquito doesn't spread malaria.

2 hours ago, DJL said:
On 9/12/2019 at 4:49 AM, turtlespeed said:
On 8/29/2019 at 4:36 PM, billvon said:

mosquito-habitat (1).gif

Technology:

Best-Mosquito-Fogger-Reviews.png

I wonder if they work on anti-vaxxers?

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

That is not what the graphic is displaying.

That is closer, but also not entirely true, because they are referencing a specific mosquito. Hence why Brenthutch's statements around malaria aren't correct. This type of mosquito doesn't spread malaria.

Malaria deaths: 1,000,000+

Yellow fever deaths: 30,000

It just goes to show how desperate global warming alarmists are.  They have to resort to misleading headlines and hyping a hypothetical non-problem.

Edited by brenthutch

It has come to my attention that the "Green New Deal" may refer to those who came up with it.

Youth and inexperience

Green the color most commonly associated in Europe and the United States with youth. It also often is used to describe anyone young, inexperienced, probably by the analogy to immature and unripe fruit.[64][65][c] Examples include green cheese, a term for a fresh, unaged cheese, and greenhorn, an inexperienced person.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 6:26 PM, brenthutch said:

Malaria deaths: 1,000,000+

Yellow fever deaths: 30,000

It just goes to show how desperate global warming alarmists are.  They have to resort to misleading headlines and hyping a hypothetical non-problem.

Since the 80s yellow fever has been spreading. Part of the reason for that is due to a warming of the global climate. This graph outlined how that would continue. Nothing misleading about that, all pretty clearly labeled.

55 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Since the 80s yellow fever has been spreading. Part of the reason for that is due to a warming of the global climate. This graph outlined how that would continue. Nothing misleading about that, all pretty clearly labeled.

The actual label said “Mosquitos Habit: Current & Projected”. The label doesn't specify a particular mosquito.  So yes, it is misleading. 

Edited by brenthutch

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The actual label said “Mosquitos Habit: Current & Projected”. The label doesn't specify a particular mosquito.  So yes, it is misleading. 

I guess for people who only read the first 5 words of any article (the headline) that makes sense.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

There are only 34 words on that graph. If that is too much for you, I don't think any further conversation is going to change anything.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Most Americans not willing to pay $2 a month to stop climate change

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/americans-increasingly-see-climate-change-as-a-crisis-poll-shows/2019/09/12/74234db0-cd2a-11e9-87fa-8501a456c003_story.html?noredirect=on

Looks like GND now stands for Green Not-going-to-happen Dream

I voluntarily pay an additional $5 per billing cycle for my power company to develop renewables, I don't really care that it's likely a greenwash bit of bullshit.   True, people don't want to pay more money, not really a mystery, it's always someone eles's problem:

"Instead, clear majorities say they would prefer that climate initiatives be funded by increasing the taxes on wealthy households and on companies that burn fossil fuels."

This is the typical uninformed BS you'll see, that wealthy people and corporations need to pay for it.  The fact is that everyone was benefiting from low cost power, whether it be coal power plants or gasoline engines so we ALL need to pay for it.