3 3
brenthutch

Green new deal equals magical thinking

(edited)
4 hours ago, billvon said:

That was true 30 years ago of many places up North.  Fortunately you're changing the climate, so now they're feeling more at home!  Another way Trump is winning.

mosquito-habitat (1).gif

Fantasy vs reality  https://www.alaska.org/advice/mosquitoes-in-alaska

https://contagions.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/malaria-near-the-arctic-circle/

Notice how your cute little map doesn't even have mosquitoes in Alaska until 2080? LOL

Edited by brenthutch

43 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Notice how your cute little map doesn't even have mosquitoes in Alaska until 2080? LOL

The map must have been so cute that you missed the legend!  It is not a map of where mosquitoes can live.  It's a map of places they live long enough to transmit disease.

Looks like AOC knows a lot more than you do about this stuff.

(edited)
29 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Like malaria?

read the fucking legend....lol

Edited to add: stop making yourself look clueless and do some simple reading. The links you posted in response to the "cute little map" show a complete lack of understanding the "cute little map".

Edited by SkyDekker

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

read the fucking legend....lol

Edited to add: stop making yourself look clueless and do some simple reading. The links you posted in response to the "cute little map" show a complete lack of understanding the "cute little map".

It is typical global warming hysteria; the headline,  (you know, the one that gets parroted on every newspaper, NPR broadcast and network TV) says, "Mosquito Habitat: Current and Projected.  You have to read, as Paul Harvey would say, "The Rest of the Story" to find out that it is all a bunch of hyped up click bait BS.  BTW congratulations on your new Grand Poo Bah of climate change hysterics, the sixteen year old Greta Thornburg. 

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

BTW congratulations on your new Grand Poo Bah of climate change hysterics, the sixteen year old Greta Thornburg. 

Hi Brent,

Over the last 3-4 months I have read about 85% of your posts.  

The above is typical of why you have lost any credibility with me.*  I've been watching Ms. Thornburg on tv and see nothing hysterical about how she presents herself.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) * Oh, and that most of your 'sources' seem to work against you.  Poor form, my good man.

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Over the last 3-4 months I have read about 85% of your posts.  

The above is typical of why you have lost any credibility with me.*  I've been watching Ms. Thornburg on tv and see nothing hysterical about how she presents herself.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) * Oh, and that most of your 'sources' seem to work against you.  Poor form, my good man.

When a 16 year old mentally disturbed child (according to her mother)  says she is skipping school to save the planet, it gives me pause.  

34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

When a 16 year old mentally disturbed child (according to her mother)  says she is skipping school to save the planet, it gives me pause.  

Thunberg responds:

==============

SPIEGEL ONLINE: . . .They insult you on the Internet as "mentally disturbed", "twisted brat" - or even compare the young climate movement with the Hitler Youth.

Thunberg: Sometimes I read such posts to get to know the arguments of these people. Most have no arguments at all; they attack me because of my appearance or the diagnosis. But it is a good sign that they write about me and hate me. Because that shows that they see me as a threat.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Do such attacks not make you sad?

Thunberg: I feel sorry for these people. They do not understand how serious our situation is. Of course, to them it seems crazy that tens of thousands start a school strike for the climate. If you go public like me, you have to be criticized. That's why I'm not complaining about it. 

==============

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Like malaria?

I'd stop digging if I were you.  You fell flat on your face with the Obama house thing - maybe just retire and plan a new attack for tomorrow.  I'm sure it will be cold somewhere.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

I'd stop digging if I were you.  You fell flat on your face with the Obama house thing - maybe just retire and plan a new attack for tomorrow.  I'm sure it will be cold somewhere.

So, are you claiming that inlets, bays and sounds are not affected by sea level rise?  Hmmmm.

(edited)
8 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Brent,

Does that make her hysterical?

As I said:  Poor form, my good man.

Jerry Baumchen

“The climate and ecological crisis is a global crisis and the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced,”

Sound like hysterics to me.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

So, are you claiming that inlets, bays and sounds are not affected by sea level rise?  Hmmmm.

There are areas in Marthas vineyard that have issues but not on the piece of land where the Obamas bought a house.  There is no comparison to the degree to which Miami is threatened and already seeing the effects of rising sea levels.

7 minutes ago, DJL said:

There are areas in Marthas vineyard that have issues but not on the piece of land where the Obamas bought a house.  There is no comparison to the degree to which Miami is threatened and already seeing the effects of rising sea levels.

Oh hush. It's on the ocean & the ocean is rising.

Don't include stuff like how low the surrounding area is, or what kinds of weather threats are present, or any other facts.

You'll just confuse him.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

I can't let my six year old read this, he will tell me the water that overflowed from the tub did not come from his side.  Anyway, it looks pretty close to the water, I would hate to think of what would happen if it got hit by another SUPER STORM SANDY, which, in this super heated world, is a virtual certainty (unless Obama knows something we don't)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjd14qK4arkAhUlzlkKHUlZDFsQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Frobbreport.com%2Fshelter%2Fhomes-for-sale%2Fobamas-marthas-vineyard-estate-15-million-2865341%2F&psig=AOvVaw1FlnKawSwsTK8D1fCPyJye&ust=1567260112919944

34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I can't let my six year old read this, he will tell me the water that overflowed from the tub did not come from his side.  Anyway, it looks pretty close to the water, I would hate to think of what would happen if it got hit by another SUPER STORM SANDY, which, in this super heated world, is a virtual certainty (unless Obama knows something we don't)

Yup, pretty close to the water, they will also probably get damage from future storms.  Do you think that equates to what Miami will experience?

This link shows pictures of exactly what was damaged nearest to the Obamas new home during Sandy.  So if that's your example of the worst case it still sounds like they made a good choice.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2012/10/30/coastal-erosion-severe-following-islands-brush-sandy

On 8/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, brenthutch said:

I looked into it and you are right, according to NASA the rate of sea level rise has increased by a profound .9mm per year.  If this were truly a threat it would  be reflected in the price of beachfront property in Miami and the Obamas would not have spent millions on their house on the shore. 

By the way since you're making a claim about oceanfront property value being an indicator of the risk of sea level rise do you know that the house they bought was listed for $22.5 million but they got it for $14.5?

That's from the link you posted above:

https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-for-sale/obamas-marthas-vineyard-estate-15-million-2865341/

So it sounds like the Obamas wanted waterfront property, chose an area that is not as threatened by sea level rise as others  and got it for a markdown of $8 million.  Sounds like that narrative is fitting the points all of us, including you, are making.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

You can tell your six year old this, because it's perfectly accurate.  However, a rise of 2.66 feet in Miami _or_ Martha's Vineyard (worst case IPCC prediction by 2100) does not get close to their house at 8 feet above sea level.  Even the worst case independent paper (the Kopp paper) puts absolute worst case sea level rise at 3.9 feet - less than halfway to the Obama house.  And if the Obamas are still there (they will be 139 and 134 years old respectively) they probably won't be using the beach too much at that age.

Sounds like they chose a good location - fairly well protected from sea level rise and storms, and cheap due to the risks of being on the coast.

If there is another SUPER STORM SANDY, being on a pond rather than on the ocean will actually make a pretty big difference.  Ponds traditionally don't get too much in the way of wave damage.  (Check out a local pond during the next big storm and see if any pond-side houses get hit by waves if you doubt this.)  So perhaps save the concern trolling for someone more likely to "need" it?

So, are you claiming that inlets, bays and sounds are not affected by sea level rise?

Or - keep digging!