2 2
billvon

Russiagate

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In the US people serve life sentences, without parole, for shoplifting.

The US justice system is an absolute joke.

Hi Sky,

I would think that any sentence for shoplifting would be a state crime, not a federal crime.

I believe Manafort was sentenced for federal crime.

The two IMO are not comparible.

Jerry Baumchen

58 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Sky,

I would think that any sentence for shoplifting would be a state crime, not a federal crime.

I believe Manafort was sentenced for federal crime.

The two IMO are not comparible.

Jerry Baumchen

From my perspective it really doesn't matter. As a country your justice system is screwed up when these massive disparities in sentencing are taking place.

15 hours ago, billvon said:

Trump's campaign chairman sentenced to four years in jail.  LOCK HIM UP!  And he hasn't even been sentenced yet for his collusion with a Russian agent to tamper with witnesses.

For a "witch hunt" it sure is finding a lot of witches.

6 hours ago, ryoder said:

1/5 of what sentencing guidelines called for.

Looks like someone got to the judge.

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

In the US people serve life sentences, without parole, for shoplifting.

The US justice system is an absolute joke.

2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

A woman in Texas is serving five years for voting while on probation , which she mistakenly thought was allowed. Another woman in Texas, a permanent resident , is serving eight years for voting with only a green card , which she mistakenly thought was allowed . 

Manafort is rich & white. The woman in Texas (first one, the one on probation) is poor and black. 

Honestly, I'm surprised Manafort even got time behind bars. Normally someone of his "stature" would get probation.

AOC on twitter:

(edited)
2 hours ago, dmcoco84 said:

You are so full of crap. Show me the case.

Actually, there are plenty. You can thank Bill Clinton for that "3 strikes and you're out" legislation he signed. It put a lot of small time black criminals in prison for life.

Trump pardoned one several months ago, and has signed a new law revamping that old one. https://www.jurist.org/news/2018/12/president-trump-signs-criminal-justice-reform-first-step-act-into-law/

I find it hilarious that left wingers call him a racist, when he's trying to help the black community. https://thehill.com/policy/finance/420968-trump-to-sign-executive-order-aimed-at-revitalizing-distressed-communities

He's just trying to get as many people to work as possible as well.

Edited by BillyVance

6 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

Actually, there are plenty. You can thank Bill Clinton for that "3 strikes and you're out" legislation he signed. It put a lot of small time black criminals in prison for life.

That was one of the dumbest things and I can't believe the Supreme Court didn't step in.  It entirely takes discretion out of the hands of a judge, which is supposed to be the safeguard to excessive punishment.

4 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

The overwhelming majority of "three strikes" sentences are at the state level (Alabama was one of the first, Billy).  Clinton had absolutely nothing to do with those.  

5 minutes ago, kallend said:

The overwhelming majority of "three strikes" sentences are at the state level (Alabama was one of the first, Billy).  Clinton had absolutely nothing to do with those.  

But he did. HE signed it into law. And to his credit, he admitted, albeit much later, it was a mistake.

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/04/bill-clinton-and-the-1994-crime-bill/

46 minutes ago, kallend said:

Actually? The NRA had a huge hand in implementing those laws. 

They were trying to prevent the 'revolving door' justice system, where thugs with a 'rap sheet' as long as your arm were committing more crimes. It was part of their response to criticism that they were just 'gun nuts' and the idea of self defense was a cover story.

As was noted above, searching '3 strikes NRA' gives a plethora of results.

37 minutes ago, kallend said:
50 minutes ago, BillyVance said:

Isn't it great that we live in a Republic! Or what's left of it.

Yes, Bill, I know. I just wanted to see what example he would use, so I could ridicule it. 

There was another one going on just recently, in: Looooooooouisianaaaa -- In Grimes’ case, he has three prior nonviolent felonies on his record, bumping his would-be misdemeanor charge to a felony and making him eligible for a discretionary 20-year [to] life sentence without the possibility of parole.

I sure do love the Laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. For so many reasons.

Don't want to face that kinda time for being a shithead... pick another state.

I hear the People's Republic of California is great for shithead criminals.

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

You can thank Bill Clinton for that "3 strikes and you're out" legislation he signed. 

Hi BV,

Why is it that you cannot comprehend that a Republican Congress put that legislation in front of Clinton sign?  No President gets to sign any legislation until Congress puts it on his desk.

Try studying how these things work,

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
32 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:
2 hours ago, BillyVance said:

You can thank Bill Clinton for that "3 strikes and you're out" legislation he signed. 

Hi BV,

Why is it that you cannot comprehend that a Republican Congress put that legislation in front of Clinton sign?  No President gets to sign any legislation until Congress puts it on his desk.

Try studying how these things work,

Jerry Baumchen

The Crime Control Act of 1994 was written by Joe Biden and passed by a Democrat Congress.   The  Republicans didn't win the majority until several months after Clinton signed it.

Biden recently apologized for it.  Maybe he's considering a bid for the presidency.

Edited by Coreece
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BillyVance said:

But he did. HE signed it into law. And to his credit, he admitted, albeit much later, it was a mistake.

You DO understand that there is a difference between federal law and state law, right? Right?

Clinton didn't sign any STATE 3 strikes laws.  The vast majority of 3 strike sentences are at the state level.

You are suffering from a bad case of CDS.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

You DO understand that there is a difference between federal law and state law, right? Right?

Clinton didn't sign any STATE 3 strikes laws.  The vast majority of 3 strike sentences are at the state level.

You're suffering from a bad case of TDS. Oh guess what? Nancy Pelosi now says impeaching Trump may not be worth it.

HA! HA!:D

20 hours ago, BillyVance said:

Perhaps, but how sure are you about that?  Stats don't seem to be easily available, but awhile back the ACLU claimed that the federal courts accounted for 63% of life-without-parole sentences for nonviolent offenses.

The article didn't mention "three strikes" specifically, but noted that most of these were due to "mandatory sentencing policies, including mandatory minimums and habitual offender laws that required them to be incarcerated until they die.

Regardless tho, the crime bill of 1994 put an additional 100,000 law enforcement officers on the streets, so I think you're overlooking the obvious impact that would have on a three-strike system at both the federal and state level.

The only derangement would be coming from those defending Clinton/democrats as if they weren't largely responsible for the negative impact of the 1994 crime bill, especially on the African American community.  Many democrats, including Biden and Clinton himself have already admitted this.  Not sure why you and Jerry are having so much trouble with that?

On 3/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, Coreece said:

The Crime Control Act of 1994 was written by Joe Biden and passed by a Democrat Congress.   

Hi Coreece,,

Thank you for the correction.

BV, I apologize; I was wrong.

I have been of the understanding that Clinton always had a Rep congress to deal with.

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
8 hours ago, Coreece said:

"mandatory sentencing policies,

Hi Coreece,

Oregon has had this for many years now.

I disagree with it completely.

I'm probably 'old school' but I think that judges should 'judge.'  That is what we pay them for, right?

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

We now know for sure that the Hillary Clinton investigation was  rigged in her favor .  Got a wonder how all of you anti-trumpers feel about that. 

Comments based on the Lisa Page testimony that was released today. Sounds like more is coming