ibx

Today is the Brexit vote. We have lots of bets going, what do you think?

Stewie

Late to the discussion, but can a UK poster tell me how Britain benefits from being a member of the EU? And what they'll be giving up by leaving it?

The posts on Facebook and Twitter are generally garbage, devolving into "literally Hitler"-esque rants.

What's stopping the UK from simply doing trade deals on its own with other countries? The impression I have of the EU parliament is that it is a bloated, unelected, inefficient body that is more concerned with social engineering than seeing to the best interests of Europeans (hmmm, sounds familiar over here). And, of course, the best interests of Europeans would vary from country to country, no? How is it decided who benefits and who takes it on the chin? I mean, if I were German I'd be pissed that my taxes are propping up other countries that can't handle their affairs.

Also, can someone from the UK tell me how Muslim immigration factors into this? I've heard about Rotherham, Sheffield, Swedish rape statistics, sharia law in some cities, police no-go zones, etc. but I'm sure that this has been embellished. Is it true that member states of the EU have no say how they wish to deal with immigration to their countries? That seems like absolute madness.

It seems like the EU needs Britain more than Britain needs the EU, but like I said, I don't have the whole picture.

Thanks.

Firstly, although Britain technically pays £350m per week to the EU we receive at least half of that money back in rebates, some is deducted because of our contributions to overseas aid meaning we actually pay around £160m per week but the tax receipts we get from EU migrant workers means that we were actually MAKING £120m per week as members of the EU (source - http://voxpoliticalonline.com//?s=EU+%C2%A3120+million+profit&search=Go

We could make trade deals with other countries independently but then we'd lose the power of collective bargaining (you always get bigger discounts if there's a lot of you) plus the current government seems intent on cosying up to the Chinese, even though their state sponsored cheap steel will only be cheap while we have the ability and skills to produce it ourselves. Once all our steelworks close and we lose the skills and the facilities they'll be able to charge what they like and we won't be able to do anything about it.

Anything you've heard about Muslim immigration, police no go areas, Sharia law etc are probably BS. In one of the largest Muslim areas, Bradford, Muslims, Jews and Christians get on well and often share facilities such as community centres etc. These are stories spread by groups such as Britain First and the English Defence League and are, in all probability, responsible for the murder of a female British MP by a far right extremist (although the press are portraying him as a lone wolf, mentally disturbed individual. His trial is, however, being conducted under terrorism protocols)

The other thing is that we'll never cut our immigration to the levels that most of the Leave camp want because British universities accept thousands of overseas students every year (a high percentage of them Arabs) who pay millions of pounds to study here.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

ryoder

Trump said it was a good thing, so there's that nugget to consider.
:S

Yes, when he said that, we knew for sure it was a bad idea.:P
Evidence that he doesn't know his audience: he said it to Scots, who voted 68% to remain (and as many have already noted, will possibly vote whether to leave the UK to remain in the EU independently).

Kudos to Lily!
:D

That was pretty good, but I'm not sure Lily knows what really could happen as a result of this brexit vote. 2/3rds of Scotland voted to stay in. Now that England as a whole voted out, Scotland could renew its efforts to secede from England and become their own country. As William Wallace once screamed.... "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!"

:P

nolhtairt

That was pretty good, but I'm not sure Lily knows what really could happen as a result of this brexit vote. 2/3rds of Scotland voted to stay in. Now that England as a whole voted out, Scotland could renew its efforts to secede from England and become their own country. As William Wallace once screamed.... "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!!"

:P

I saw a post on another forum that suggested since Northern Ireland and Scotland voted to remain, and England and Wales voted to leave, then the proper thing to do is for England and Wales to leave the UK, thereby allowing Northern Ireland and Scotland to remain in the UK and the EU. (And the writer identified himself as English).:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

kallend

Wouldn't it be incredible if the campaign (on either side) had been run like that? There certainly are legitimate arguments to be made regarding leaving the EU, and a serious conversation to be had about what needs to be done with it whether we stay or not.

Instead we had rambling nonsense from these goombahs, who are already scrambling to U-turn on every promise they made - from cost saving to immigration via everything else.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

kallend

An interesting take from a UK member of the European parliament.

Also, here is that same guy without total control of the podium. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-referendum-tory-campaigner-admits-brexit-immigration-some-control-a7102626.html

I don't think I've ever seen a respectable interviewer literally facepalming before...

I don't agree
I give the people more credit than you do.
I believe the vote went as it did because the people WERE informed and did not listen to the gloom and doom emotions from the stay crowd

They do know the issues IMO.
They do know the consequences IMO.

I did not misread

and I did not misread you
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

jakee

He says "the people don't have clue what the deal is either way" and you criticise him because you think that he's espousing the view that whoever doesn't agree with him must be "uninformed, uneducated stupid or worse".

That's not what he meant by saying nobody knows what the deal is.

His point is, nobody knows what the deal is. Nobody.

So we've voted out - what does that mean? We don't know.

Exactly right.

Rush, if you've done your research and you think people know what they were voting for, tell me what happens now?

Not even long term consequences, just functionally and procedurally, what happens now? When do we leave the EU? How do we leave the EU? Will we keep paying any money? Will we keep receiving any money? Will we stay in the common market? Will we join EFTA? What treaties will we remain bound to? What sort of free movement will we retain? When will that change?

They/you know as much now as when Briton decided to go INTO the EU.
Many things to be worked out and there will be some rough road. change is not easey

But this does not make people uninformed or lead by emotion

But you need to claim this because you disagree with the outcome and need to validate being in the minority regarding this vote

Open your mind.

There will be HUGE opportunities for those who take a good hard look and understand what is happening
Abraham Lincoln

Leaving the EU is effectively a constitutional change, since it pertains to more than just policy, it pertains to sovereignty and all that entails.

In the USA a supermajority is needed to change the Constitution.

I'm surprised that a simple majority of those voting (and a minority of eligible voters) is sufficient to bring about such a dramatic change in the UK.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

SkyDekker

They do know the consequences IMO

You are so clueless it is painful.

No one knows what the consequences are.

I KNOW that my portfolio has shed so much value since Thursday evening through to this morning, it equates to almost three decent homes within 30 minutes of Skydive AZ.

And I am NOT part of the damned 1%.

Lovely. [:/]

kallend

I'm surprised that a simple majority of those voting (and a minority of eligible voters) is sufficient to bring about such a dramatic change in the UK.

The referendum is theoretically not binding, so there is still some potential to reshape things. The next few months will be very interesting. Personally i think Boris has stuck his head above the parapet and seen the incoming missile, and is now trying to work out how to save the day.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

aphid

I KNOW that my portfolio has shed so much value since Thursday evening through to this morning, it equates to almost three decent homes within 30 minutes of Skydive AZ.

Same here, but I am still a pretty active contributor so I see it more as if everything is on sale.

rushmc

He says "the people don't have clue what the deal is either way" and you criticise him because you think that he's espousing the view that whoever doesn't agree with him must be "uninformed, uneducated stupid or worse".

Exactly right.

Rush, if you've done your research and you think people know what they were voting for, tell me what happens now?

Not even long term consequences, just functionally and procedurally, what happens now? When do we leave the EU? How do we leave the EU? Will we keep paying any money? Will we keep receiving any money? Will we stay in the common market? Will we join EFTA? What treaties will we remain bound to? What sort of free movement will we retain? When will that change?

Many things to be worked out and there will be some rough road. change is not easey

But you need to claim this because you disagree with the outcome and need to validate being in the minority regarding this vote

Open your mind.

There will be HUGE opportunities for those who take a good hard look and understand what is happening

What a rubbish, content-free.

Based on your posts, you know exactly nothing about the world outside your 4 walls, how will you know anything about "HUGE opportunities" over here in the Euro zone?

Pure idle-talk.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

SkyDekker

:D:D

Typical elite speak.

Right in step.

As for no one knows?

Bull shit!

They know they do NOT want what they have right??
Or they would have voted differently.

And the fine details may be yet to come but they want out of the EU. A big gov slum lord sucking money.

Nope, I say they are much much smarter than you at least

But then I wonder sometimes where that level really is.[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

aphid

There is another one coming driven from here. And that will happen when the fed starts raising the interest level and STOPS printing money and inserting into the market therefore inflating it.

I think what you are seeing here is more of a knee jerk reaction and it will pass quicker than most.

Also know that every bad thing that happens (including your cat getting run over) will be blamed on this vote.
Abraham Lincoln

christelsabine

Exactly right.

Open your mind.

What a rubbish, content-free.

Based on your posts, you know exactly nothing about the world outside your 4 walls, how will you know anything about "HUGE opportunities" over here in the Euro zone?

Pure idle-talk.

I keep forgetting that those like you think there are none smarter than yourselves

Carry on
Abraham Lincoln

Nope, I say they are much much smarter than you at least

Typical RushMc elitism.

Everyone who disagrees with you is a "low information voter" and everyone you agree with is smart enough to see what's going on. Could you be any more arrogant?