ibx

Today is the Brexit vote. We have lots of bets going, what do you think?

gowlerk

Are you (and Ryoder) feeling better about your holdings now?

My domestic TSE and yankee DJI stuff has recovered.

gowlerk

Is the panic over yet?

Beats me. I wasn't panicked, just simply offering evidence from personal observation to illustrate that the posters statement that there were no immediate negative results was premature and incorrect.

aphid

They do know the consequences IMO

You are so clueless it is painful.

No one knows what the consequences are.

I KNOW that my portfolio has shed so much value since Thursday evening through to this morning, it equates to almost three decent homes within 30 minutes of Skydive AZ.

And I am NOT part of the damned 1%.

Lovely. [:/]

So

Is this still the case?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

CanuckInUSA

***Is the panic over yet?

What happens on Wall Street versus what happens on Main Street are completely different beasts.

Correct. The herd mentality of wall street is not reflective of US exporters. The US trade deficit is 480 billion per year.

aphid

So

Is this still the case?

You could have scrolled-up just two posts, but perhaps this will be more simple for you:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4806062#4806062

Actually
I found your original post mid thread

No need to get snippy[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>What happens on Wall Street versus what happens on Main Street are
>completely different beasts.

Some updates:
=================
The cost of Brexit: 250,000 fewer jobs
by Mark Thompson
CNN August 5, 2016: 3:27 AM ET

The Bank of England has cut interest rates for the first time in seven years, and will revive a broad stimulus program to try to prevent Brexit tipping the U.K. economy into recession.

The central bank acted after slashing its growth forecast by the biggest margin in nearly 20 years. Presenting the first official analysis of the Brexit shock to the economy Thursday, it predicted:

1. Lost growth: Output would be 2.5% -- or £45 billion -- less by the end of 2018 than it forecast in May.

2. Higher unemployment: 250,000 people will lose their jobs over that period, even after the stimulus measures.

3. Rising prices: Inflation will hit 2.4%, up from 0.5% now as a sharp fall in the pound pushes up import costs.

Interest rates were cut to a record low of 0.25%, which should reduce mortgage repayments for many homeowners and make it cheaper for companies to borrow. Savers and pension funds, on the other hand, are likely to suffer.

The bank said it would pump £70 billion ($92 billion) into the economy by printing money to buy bonds issued by the British government and about 150 companies. The bank's program of quantitative easing -- already worth £375 billion -- has been on hold since July 2012. . .

A survey of companies in the services, manufacturing and construction sectors published earlier this week suggests the economy is already contracting. And there's a 50% chance of a recession over the next 18 months, according to the National Institute for Social and Economic Research.

That's a remarkable reversal for what was until recently the fastest growing developed economy in the world.
==================
Cost of groceries has increased due to the weaker pound following Brexit

The trend is one aspect of the wider economic uncertainty which followed the vote to leave the European Union

Will Worley
Independent

Saturday 6 August 2016

Shoppers are paying more for certain basic items.

The price of pasta and other groceries has increased since the vote to leave the European Union, new data has shown.

The hikes are because of a weaker pound, which has made imported products - which the UK is highly dependent on - more expensive.
. . .

In particular, pasta was ten per cent more expensive in July, and pasta sauce cost six per cent more. The price of onions had gone up by nine per cent.

The pound has tumbled by ten per cent since the referendum on June 23 and in July and is set to slide another six per cent, according to a Reuters poll.

But higher food prices are not unprecedented. In June, the National Farmers Union (NFU) warned of the possibility.

“Sadly, we only produce 60 per cent of the food we consume,” Meurig Raymond, president of the NFU told the Guardian.

“We’ve seen our self-sufficiency fall dramatically, so we are very dependent on imported food.
=================

It's fucking ridiculous.

For the sport I work in pretty much every supplier is forecasting minimum 15% price hikes, some as much as 25 or even 30% over the course of the next year.

If that's mirrored elsewhere then every sector of retail is going to bomb and high streets will turn into ghost towns.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

It's fucking ridiculous.

For the sport I work in pretty much every supplier is forecasting minimum 15% price hikes, some as much as 25 or even 30% over the course of the next year.

If that's mirrored elsewhere then every sector of retail is going to bomb and high streets will turn into ghost towns.

Should be an example of the consequences of voting stupid for a long time.

Yes, this shit really does matter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ryoder

Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

Despite the name of the Court, in the inimitable British manner of using the English language it does not have the last word. The matter will be appealed to a higher court. Namely the "Supreme Court".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Iago

***Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

Brexit isn't happening. Parliament is never going to agree to leave the EU.

However, this Spring should be a great time to visit England since the pound is now in the toilet.

I placed an order to an online UK cycling shop soon after the pound nose-dived.:D
I just placed another order a couple days ago.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I placed an order to an online UK cycling shop soon after the pound nose-dived.:D
I just placed another order a couple days ago.

Yeah, this is the golden window for you guys to shop on Wiggle, CRC, Merlin etc. As soon as they have to buy their restock with the new pound the prices will skyrocket.

For us in the UK prices are going up already - for instance a lot of Shimano is now up to 25% more expensive than it was 4 months ago:o:S