ibx

Today is the Brexit vote. We have lots of bets going, what do you think?

jakee

I hate to address the consequences of Brexit, but this gives me pause.

Ahh the Express. Bastion of journalist integrity.

So in that article they're claiming the anti-federalist Poles are terrified by the plans of the French and Germans to unite the EU into one state.... and here is their article from a few days ago claiming that Brexit could have huge consequences for the next elections in anti-EU France and lukewarm Germany, while the strongly pro-EU Poles are terrified that more nations could follow the UK's lead and leave!

So in short, I wouldn't pay too much heed to that story until it's reported in a real newspaper;)

While hospitalized for a crushed leg, a guy in the next bed offered me something to read. To be polite, I took a copy of 'The Star' and perused it.

I had never before opened any of the supermarket tabloids, and felt all the more vindicated as I read.

I got to an article that said, in effect, 'Commie Doctors Baffled by Two Headed Baby!!!'

The New York Times had recently published a blurb about the case, but the raw wire feed amounted to the doctors saying that they were surprised that such malformed conjoined twins could survive birth, but that their lives would be mercifully short.

Though I have not been tempted to buy another tabloid, I am struck by the fact that, say, the National Enquirer does pay princely sums for information, which they will write up in the most lurid manner possible. Every once in a while they break a story that turns out to be surprisingly significant.

Thus, though the article was not from a Fleet Street stalwart, the basics of other countries that might be tempted to leave the EU and the tendency of the EU to consolidate power after the UK's exit are plausible.

I make no claim that any of this is The Truth (tm), but it is a perspective that may have merit.

I recall the principle that any bureaucracy, given sufficient time, gravitates to the business of administering itself. The EU in Brussels seems to be a case in point of that principle.

BSBD,

Winsor

Reply in general.

Reading these post it occurs to me that so many things have changed.

Most ALL here (posting) can recall when we had elections and you cheered if "your guy" won, you cried if "your guy" lost and in about three days we all went back to work and they (the politicians) went back to the peoples work.

Now - we say that all the people who voted for the winning person (or leaving EU) are dumb asses. The idea that the majority of anything means anything seems to be lost.

I don't pretend to know what will happen with this but the idea that everyone who voted for it is a dumbass....is just stupid. We have to learn (re-learn?) how to lose.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

We have to learn (re-learn?) how to lose.

Honestly, the more important thing would be to relearn how to campaign.

When you drive around the country in this bus during the campaign and then instantly disavow all knowledge of it the day after the victory then something is seriously wrong, and it is something that really matters.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Sometimes pontoon mooring, with vessels lashed alongside, is the most stable
>arrangement. However, when conditions go to hell and one of the craft is taking on
>water, it can be best to cut free and go it alone.

>You may still sink, but you are not doomed by another craft going under.

Agreed.

However, even the "leave" coalition is walking back their demands. The number of migrants will likely not change. They are demanding that the EU keep giving them money. They want to keep the same fluidity of both labor and markets they have now. Leave leaders are admitting that they will NOT now have extra money to fund NHS, and that many of their promises are simply not possible.

So to extend your analogy, the UK is moored to a whole lot of other boats. But rather than cast off from the raft, they are just raising a different flag while remaining tied up, and saying "I feel a lot safer now."

jakee

***We have to learn (re-learn?) how to lose.

Honestly, the more important thing would be to relearn how to campaign.

When you drive around the country in this bus during the campaign and then instantly disavow all knowledge of it the day after the victory then something is seriously wrong, and it is something that really matters.

Much as I like the idea of dis-qualifying the results of an election on the grounds that the winning side lied, I suspect we'd never again have an election with a valid result.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No debate or denial of your math skills. If in your opinion that makes me part of the one percent in my country, well, I have no words.

Nonetheless, thank you for your observation and unsolicited counsel.

My response was in direct relation to the claim by a specific poster who claimed that nobody could "know" the consequence of the vote in the UK and subsequent market response.

I experienced and obviously do "know" one specific consequence on a very personal level.

And judging from a couple of other responses, I am not alone.

Why is it that when the popular vote goes with something you agree with (e.g. Brexit), we should trust the people because they do know. But when it's against something you agree with (e.g. Obama), they're low-information voters, or sheeple?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well, Cameron might have dodged it, and Boris might be bottling it but the England football team have decided to put the referendum result into action as soon as they could, exiting the European Championship at the hands of Iceland.

So it's not all doom and gloom:)

jakee

Well, Cameron might have dodged it, and Boris might be bottling it but the England football team have decided to put the referendum result into action as soon as they could, exiting the European Championship at the hands of Iceland.

Sent to me by a Welsh friend.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

rifleman

***Well, Cameron might have dodged it, and Boris might be bottling it but the England football team have decided to put the referendum result into action as soon as they could, exiting the European Championship at the hands of Iceland.

I wonder if Britain, or whats left of it after Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, leave. Will want donations from their former colonies.

Perhaps the English football team merely wanted to make a statement that they didn't want to associate with any more foreigners. In order to respect the intent of the vote?

Phil1111

******Well, Cameron might have dodged it, and Boris might be bottling it but the England football team have decided to put the referendum result into action as soon as they could, exiting the European Championship at the hands of Iceland.

I wonder if Britain, or whats left of it after Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, leave. Will want donations from their former colonies.

Perhaps the English football team merely wanted to make a statement that they didn't want to associate with any more foreigners. In order to respect the intent of the vote?

Out of the four constituent countries, Scotland gets the best deal out of the UK. It has the second highest GDP per capita and receives the second highest public spending (after Northern Ireland). England generates the most wealth and receives the least public spending.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Iago

BREXIT is NOT going to get through Parliament. The roadblocks are already being established. I definitely want to see a live feed of the floor when they start discussing the topic. I want to see glove slaps, chairs thrown, dogpiles, EVERYTHING! They need to pay-per-view that shit. UFC can take a back seat.

A fish-slapping dance or two? :D

BREXIT is NOT going to get through Parliament.

How many years of uncertainty will that create? The damage to financial industry is going to be even larger the longer it takes to settle the thing one way or the other. The UK can do well either in or out. But the transition or indecision period will be tumultuous.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

wmw999

Why is it that when the popular vote goes with something you agree with (e.g. Brexit), we should trust the people because they do know. But when it's against something you agree with (e.g. Obama), they're low-information voters, or sheeple?

Wendy P.

I am constantly berated in groups I am in by many posters here. Just returning the favor.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

JerryBaumchen

Hi Wendy,

Why is it . . .

You ever listen to Rush Limbaugh?

There is your answer,

Jerry Baumchen

Yet again you show us you do not know what you are talking about:D
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I am constantly berated in groups I am in by many posters here. Just returning the favor.

When you 'return the favour' you lose the right to the high horse.

Only elitists like you think you can do both.

jakee

***I am constantly berated in groups I am in by many posters here. Just returning the favor.

When you 'return the favour' you lose the right to the high horse.

Only elitists like you think you can do both.

I stay off the high horse.
Too many under those like you.
Abraham Lincoln

My response was in direct relation to the claim by a specific poster who claimed that nobody could "know" the consequence of the vote in the UK and subsequent market response.

And MY RESPONSE was to YOUR comment

And I am not part of the damn 1%

If in your opinion that makes me part of the one percent in my country, well, I have no words.

Perhaps you are from a country that a net worth of well passed $5,000,000 doesn't put you in the top 1%?

Nonetheless, thank you for your observation and unsolicited counsel.

Your very welcome, with the amount of money you have I certainly understand it isn't NEEDED and was unsolicited - just as much as I'm sure your comment had the same value.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

When you claim that the people who disagree with you are uninformed or stupid and that you know what is best for them you are up on the high horse, being your normal elitist self.

jakee

When you claim that the people who disagree with you are uninformed or stupid and that you know what is best for them you are up on the high horse, being your normal elitist self.

I do not claim that!

YOU DO.
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

I do not claim that!

You do it all the time, and you just admitted that you do it.

Just because you think you're only "returning the favour" it doesn't change what you're saying.

You call people who disagree with you uninformed and less smart, and you think you know what's best for other people. That's exactly your criteria for being a liberal elitist, isn't it?

>>When you claim that the people who disagree with you are uninformed or stupid and
>>that you know what is best for them you are up on the high horse, being your normal
>>elitist self.

>I do not claim that! YOU DO.

RushMC:

"But that reflection is on the uniformed low information voters that put Obama in office"

"But the left low information voters do not care to see this"

"Low information voters are those who make and or believe claims made by others"

"How about the dismantling of our government by know nothing do nothing LOW-INFORMATION voters...ie...This is how we got Obama"

"you didn't have to because the low information voters were not getting any info on this from the main stream media."

"Also, the low information voters do not go to blogs or veiw cable news. IF they get any news at all it is from the likes of CBS, NBC, Public TV or ABC."

"But we got Obama back in office now. He makes GWB look like the smartest president we have ever had. Many of us seen it coming. The low information voters did not."

Don't fall off that horse; from that height the fall could kill you.