skycop

Nah, this would never happen.......it has.

turtlespeed

Cops shouldn't be allowed guns.

Well, a few of them really need the Barney Fife Rule: You get one bullet, and you keep it in your pocket.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Cops shouldn't be allowed guns.

Well, a few of them really need the Barney Fife Rule: You get one bullet, and you keep it in your pocket.

Only if it is a cap gun.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I have come to the conclusion hat we need to disarm every cop except for an elite force supplied by the federal government.

(good one)

This is great - they could be trained and have allegiance to the military or the executive branch only. The president could send them out for any emergency such as someone using the wrong light bulbs, perhaps on the spot justice for any situation that polls poorly for their party. Just for any situation where the government decides we aren't acting straight - or even just to control those pesky dissidents and protestors and defective types.

We could call them the "Police Corps Police" or "PC Police" for short.

two thumbs up

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

billvon

>I have come to the conclusion hat we need to disarm every cop . . . .

That would align with RushMC's claims that liberals are hatful.

Tinfoil hatful.

Arm more citizens. Develop a federal police force. Delete state borders.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

Where do you get that I am proposing the guy had a flame thrower?

I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to replace their weapons with something else.

Now I understand that you are just confused on which statue stands for justice...don't feel bad, it's a common error

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***Where do you get that I am proposing the guy had a flame thrower?

I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to replace their weapons with something else.

Now I understand that you are just confused on which statue stands for justice...don't feel bad, it's a common error

Sure - sling shots and bean bags.

I think there should now be rules that all guns (that fire bullets in the traditional sense) be placed in an electronic safe that can only be unlocked by a supervisor, after looking into the situation and judging its merits.

Then issued bean bag guns at MOST.

turtlespeed

I have come to the conclusion hat we need to disarm every cop except for an elite force supplied by the federal government.

I read a thought-provoking article recently.
I can't find it right now, but the points were:

1. We have over 3000 counties and over 19,000 cities/towns in the US.
2. Almost every damned one of them has a separate PD, with unique procedures, unique qualification standards, and unique training requirements.

The proposed solution was that every state pull all of its LEO's into the state police force.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

turtlespeed

Then issued bean bag guns at MOST.

so.....

no flamethrowers then?

I guess to Billvon's point, the cop COULD have lobbed a bean bag over the counselor if he really wanted to hit the autistic guy

EDIT: But....no ASSAULT beanbags. That's where I draw the line.

>I guess to Billvon's point, the cop COULD have lobbed a bean bag over the counselor if he really
>wanted to hit the autistic guy

Or a hand grenade. I see no possible downsides to arming police with hand grenades in order to better deal with toy-wielding autistic men.

rehmwa

***Then issued bean bag guns at MOST.

so.....

no flamethrowers then?

I guess to Billvon's point, the cop COULD have lobbed a bean bag over the counselor if he really wanted to hit the autistic guy

EDIT: But....no ASSAULT beanbags. That's where I draw the line.

Sorry - no flame throwers - they are always assault flame throwers!

Why not be required to have LTL firearms?

Then it will only be BBM - Bean Bags Matter

Or an accordion. But then he'd need perfect pitch.

Don

billvon

>The most striking thing about that story is that it was the autistic man holding what
>the cops may have thought was a gun, but they shot the other guy lying on the
>ground with his arms raised.

Well, to be fair, the cop may have not had a good angle on the autistic guy.

Maybe he did, and is just a really bad shot.

Yes, this one is pretty fucked up.

Gun and racial issues aside. Clearly reinforces the notion that not everyone is cut out to be a police officer - it seems to attract some odd types in the US.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

Yes, this one is pretty fucked up.

Gun and racial issues aside. Clearly reinforces the notion that not everyone is cut out to be a police officer - it seems to attract some odd types in the US.

Fucking idiot said- I dont't Know!

billvon

>I guess to Billvon's point, the cop COULD have lobbed a bean bag over the counselor if he really
>wanted to hit the autistic guy

Or a hand grenade. I see no possible downsides to arming police with hand grenades in order to better deal with toy-wielding autistic men.

Ok, it's gotten silly. So I can post this:

Well, think about it. The autistic guy was holding a truck. There was a truck used in the attack in France. Maybe the cop couldn't tell it was a toy. He felt threatened.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

And maybe he is just a really bad cop. There are bad cops out there. I like to think a small percentage. There are also incompetent cop out there. They will be there until their peers force them out of the law officer business or they get competent. The "Blue Wall of Silence" is part of the "us vs them" mentality. When good cops out the bad cops things will start to get better.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

headoverheels

***>The most striking thing about that story is that it was the autistic man holding what

Ummm. Yeah.

That's what the cop is saying. That he thought the autistic guy sitting there with a toy truck was threatening the caregiver. So he opened fire. And then handcuffed the guy he was "trying to save".

Suuuuure he was.

I have to wonder what would be happening had the citizen with the phone not been there.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

******>The most striking thing about that story is that it was the autistic man holding what

Ummm. Yeah.

That's what the cop is saying. That he thought the autistic guy sitting there with a toy truck was threatening the caregiver. So he opened fire. And then handcuffed the guy he was "trying to save".

Suuuuure he was.

I have to wonder what would be happening had the citizen with the phone not been there.

As it always has in the past, the cop would have been believed.

None of this is new, the only new thing is the increased ability to bring this all to light due to smartphones.

And then handcuffed the guy he was "trying to save".

Well sure. I mean, after taking a bullet the guy might have been really angry at the cop who shot him, so handcuffing him was really the safest thing to do.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Almost every damned one of them has a separate PD, with unique procedures, unique qualification standards, and unique training requirements.

That's incorrect, there are CALEA National Accreditation Standards, most states have accreditation standards.
Most states have Police Officer Professional Standards and certification. They do vary, I will agree.

Most towns want local control, and that's the way it should be. We can get into revenue neutral policing and other things regarding local control. I think we'd agree on some of these issues.

Insurance carriers highly encourage at a minimum, state standards. I've worked for agencies that were state and nationally accredited. National accreditation standards are very strict, although it is an expensive process to do and maintain. The cost is normally saved through insurance rate savings.

Remember, for every bad thing you see, there are MILLIONS of contacts that go right, many under very dire circumstances. Even some of the bad things you see that are ugly, but ugly doesn't mean wrong or unjustified.

Policing can be a very visceral, unpleasant thing, even when things go right.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Hi skycop,

Remember, for every bad thing you see, there are MILLIONS of contacts that go right, many under very dire circumstances. Even some of the bad things you see that are ugly, but ugly doesn't mean wrong or unjustified.

Policing can be a very visceral, unpleasant thing, even when things go right.

I agree completely. By far, the vast majority are very nice people trying their best to do a diffcult job; and that is on a good day.

Most towns want local control

When I think about the Portland, Oregon ( PDX ) police dep't. vs the Oregon State Police dep't., the state guys have never had anywhere near the number of bad apples that the PDX dep't. has had. IMO the police union runs the police dep't. in PDX, not the mayor.

Therefore, I disagree with your premise,

Jerry Baumchen