skycop

Nah, this would never happen.......it has.

Well, I really love this part:

James Comey, the director, said that while he could offer no statistical proof, he believed...

So because people have been accusing the police of misconduct for years, and now have proof of it due to the proliferation of video capability, cops are scared to do their jobs?

Yet there have been a couple examples of body cams on cops resulting in lower rates of complaints against the cops, less "use of force" incidents and lower numbers of injured suspects/citizens.

But of course, some cops absolutely refuse to wear body cams or audio, going so far as to throw them on the roof of the station.

Probably not a site you will have much use for, but all of the "legit" news sites I could find this on had too much crap to get through to read the story.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

If you quote CopBlock, then we can't have a serious conversation, I'd think we both agree on that.
Look at the crime rates, it's that simple, the current administration along with major media outlets simply attempt to rationalize these numbers.
The same way they rationalized and promoted false narratives as they relate to Michael Brown and the "Hands up don't shoot" nonsense.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

If you quote CopBlock, then we can't have a serious conversation, I'd think we both agree on that.
Look at the crime rates, it's that simple, the current administration along with major media outlets simply attempt to rationalize these numbers.
The same way they rationalized and promoted false narratives as they relate to Michael Brown and the "Hands up don't shoot" nonsense.

Every industry that has been faced with technology bringing accountability has resented it. And they all adapted and were better for it. The police will be no different. Those that can not cut muster will be forced out.

Not all police jobs are well paid. Hopefully this will also change.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Yep,
I agree, I've been wearing one since 2009, I'm not worried about my actions. In todays environment I'm more worried about a false accusation, even though I've spent almost 30yrs building a good reputation.

skycop

The same story is on a variety of sites. ChiSunTimes was one. But to read the story, you have to either pay or jump through a bunch of pop ups. Same story, almost word for word.

CopBlock was just the first site I found where it could be read directly.
Just because you don't like it or agree with it doesn't make it false (although I agree that there is a fair amount of crap on that site).

Crime is up. There are a variety of reasons for it, just like there were a variety of reasons it went down back in the late 90s.

To blame it on increased scrutiny of the police is a bit of a reach.

Should we not hold cops accountable for their wrongdoings? I'm not talking about honest mistakes, I'm talking about blatant abuse of their authority. Which seems to be a lot more common lately.

Or is it just that now that people can obtain proof, it stops being the word of the cop against the word of the suspect (and we both know who gets the benefit of the doubt on that one).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

Hi skycop,

population suffers.

When are you going respond to my question here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4783650;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

See post #86.

When you start a thread, you really should take ownership of it and stay with it until it dies.

You have little credibility with me.

Jerry Baumchen

Just because you don't like it or agree with it doesn't make it false (although I agree that there is a fair amount of crap on that site).

That site tells outright lies and at the very least half-truths on a regular basis. One of it's more vocal contributors just went to jail, why? Because he thought it was a good idea to interfere with officers with his camera and by yelling at the cops, while they were trying to talk a suicidal teen off a bridge. Didn't work out too good for him, and they defended his actions.

You obviously haven't read my posts in reference to body cams, or certain departments that have a culture problem(s). Some of these agencies are in locations where all levels local government are rife with corruption, starting with civilian leadership. Chicago and New Orleans come to mind.

I can show you a direct correlation between proactive slow downs and a rise in crime. Arrests are down in those areas, crime is up. In the south side of Chicago murders are up 54%, that's not an anomaly.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true.
Crime spiked post-Rodney King, people became sick of it, and told the cops to crack down, we did, and crime dropped for over a decade.
In most areas crime is still down, but in some inner-cities it's spiked dramatically since 2014.

See post #86.

When you start a thread, you really should take ownership of it and stay with it until it dies.

I get on here in spurts, one can only bang his head against a wall so much.

Please excuse me if I didn't respond to post #86 in a manner in which you consider timely.

I make no excuses for those Troopers behavior, being able to control oneself makes you a professional, these guys acted in an unprofessional manner.

As far as credibility goes, I've commented ad-nauseam on numerous topics on here, from a position of training and experience. If that lacks credibility for you, that's not my problem.

With that said, if we ever met in person, I think we'd get along quite well, along with most dissenting commenters here.

JerryBaumchen

Hi skycop,

population suffers.

When are you going respond to my question here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4783650;page=4;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

See post #86.

The thread did die - and then you brought it back to life by posting some article that was completely unrelated to skycop's OP - and now you're apparently using it in an attempt to arrogate his credibility simply because he didn't respond according to your paragon of SC etiquette?

pffffft, newsfalsh dude - you're not that important.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Hi skycop,

Please excuse me if I didn't respond to post #86 in a manner in which you consider timely.

IMO opinion, no excuse is necessary. However, you were on this thread and not paying any attention to the thread you started. That did not make sense to me.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) And I'm glad that you think these dipsticks were being unprofessional. We're making progress, I hope. And I am a very strong support of LEO agencies; I just do not support them having a union that keeps dipsticks like this on the job.

We're making progress, I hope

In your zeal to keep uncompromisingly current in SC, you've apparently missed that I do not, nor do I ever, encourage unprofessional behavior. I try to provide insight and context through training and experience.
I've been doing this, all on the operational side of the building, for almost 30yrs.

skycop

We're making progress, I hope

In your zeal to keep uncompromisingly current in SC, you've apparently missed that I do not, nor do I ever, encourage unprofessional behavior. I try to provide insight and context through training and experience.
I've been doing this, all on the operational side of the building, for almost 30yrs.

You did start this thread. It seems to advance the view that police are justified in providing less protection if they are accountable. I believe in the long run the opposite is true.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Many media outlets and the current administration in Washington have been incredibly disingenuous toward law enforcement. I've highlighted several outright untruths about the 1033 program, but the media still continues to report them and there are many more examples.

Take the youtube lawyers, and the cops don't even have to be wrong to look bad in many eyes.

Here is a reply a Chief of Police wrote to a local print reporter. The story was about tracking the use of force in area police departments. This is a medium sized department in an urban area.

Oddly, when I answered this records request I asked the author to include the 10 years of statistics I gave him showing just how often force was used. The data showed that far, far less than 1% of the contacts involved a use of force. I asked him to present this data and show a balanced point of view. Just by the title of this article, it is obvious that fell on deaf ears. I asked him to address how often the presentation of weapons (termed a "threat" by the author) stopped aggressive and violent behavior that would have escalated to a use of force. I wasn't even given the respect of a return email. It is shameful to ignore facts just to promote a point of view veiled as news. I have now presented this same information to two local media outlets and neither chose to present the facts to the public and allow them to make an informed decision. This "investigation" lacks credibility and is nothing but an effort to increase revenue.

This shows the current uphill battle LE faces in the current 24 hour news cycle environment.

skycop

That site tells outright lies and at the very least half-truths on a regular basis. One of it's more vocal contributors just went to jail, why? Because he thought it was a good idea to interfere with officers with his camera and by yelling at the cops, while they were trying to talk a suicidal teen off a bridge. Didn't work out too good for him, and they defended his actions.

You obviously haven't read my posts in reference to body cams, or certain departments that have a culture problem(s). Some of these agencies are in locations where all levels local government are rife with corruption, starting with civilian leadership. Chicago and New Orleans come to mind.

I can show you a direct correlation between proactive slow downs and a rise in crime. Arrests are down in those areas, crime is up. In the south side of Chicago murders are up 54%, that's not an anomaly.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's not true.
Crime spiked post-Rodney King, people became sick of it, and told the cops to crack down, we did, and crime dropped for over a decade.
In most areas crime is still down, but in some inner-cities it's spiked dramatically since 2014.

One more time - The story was available on multiple sites. CopBlock was the first one I found that allowed me to link it without any difficulties reading it.

Yes, I've read your posts and understand your position on these things. And I like it.

But in this particular case, you seem to be defending the "Bad Cops" that are pulling this shit.

As in, when they are shown behaving badly, they throw a temper tantrum and refuse to do their jobs properly.

And seeing as the FBI director couldn't show any statistics, where do yours come from? The head of the Fraternal Order of the Police also disagreed with his claim.

To me, it's a pretty obvious attempt to say "Leave the cops alone or you are on your own."

Which is just one more time that the good cops are enabling and covering up the bad cops' behavior.

Just like they always seem to do. (you don't, but you are in a minority there).

To me, it's a pretty obvious attempt to say "Leave the cops alone or you are on your own."

Not at all, it's "let's the cops do their jobs" and be fair in reporting controversial incidents. Which statistically fall into well less than 1%, of MILLIONS of police contacts.
The media and police have always had competing interests, that's the nature of the game. Not reporting accurately or intentionally omitting things shouldn't be.

Not reporting accurately or intentionally omitting things shouldn't be.

That is the problem. The police tend to do that to protect each other. Blaming the messenger does not cut it. Comey seems to feel that is not a problem, but the population feels it is. Cameras are one way of solving part of this.

skycop

Not at all, it's "let's the cops do their jobs" and be fair in reporting controversial incidents. Which statistically fall into well less than 1%, of MILLIONS of police contacts.

I should hope so. 1% of millions is still thousands.

The media and police have always had competing interests, that's the nature of the game. Not reporting accurately or intentionally omitting things shouldn't be.

But you have to acknowledge that quite often the conflict has been in the media trying to find out the truth and the police trying to hide it.

You can't accuse the media of spreading false narratives without acknowledging just how often police have knowingly fed false narratives to the media, the public, and the victims of crime and police misconduct.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I won't acknowledge that as a matter of routine, does it or has it happened? Sure it has, I will certainly acknowledge that.

Competing interests, did you miss that?

In the 24 hour news cycle, if information isn't immediately released, the "hiding" accusations and rumors start. Investigations don't work that way, often untimely released information can compromise an investigation.

I've dealt extensively with the media, they could care less about the truth, they are there to sensationalize and create revenue. There are exceptions, and I've met some good people, but accuracy is of secondary importance.
They still advance the Michael Brown thing and the "hands up, don't shoot" mantra, it's an outright lie and has been proven so.

The last thing any police department or officer wants is the 24 hour beast coming to feed in their jurisdiction.

The police as a whole need to learn and manage the beast better, but due to the inherit interests and conflict between the two, it will never happen to the point of completely satisfying both parties.

This leaves out the self proclaimed youtube "media" types, which are sprouting up like weeds. They could really care less about anything, except whatever agenda or cause they are promoting.

These are some of the reasons cops are more hesitant to get out of their cars and engage is proactive police work.
It's not "throwing a temper tantrum", it's self preservation.

Just as you characterize the media as "uninterested in the truth" (I have several members of my family who are involved in newspapers, and they are all interested in the truth), others characterize police as being bullies who protect themselves because they view the truth through cop eyes.

When you're talking about how people are treated (whether it's cops or civilians), then subjectivity is going to enter. Because that's all treatment is, a subjective perception. Otherwise you wouldn't have people saying that it's OK to beat your kids (and I mean beat, not spank) because they were beaten to within an inch of their lives "and they turned out OK."

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)