yoink

Gunman opens fire at cinema in Lafayette

my simple point: BAN all firearms in America today. As in right this second, outright ban all firearms in all capacities.

How long until all gun violence stops in America?

Trick question, never. Their are millions of guns in private ownership and millions of people that will never surrender their rights to own firearms and defend themselves and what they perceive as their individual freedoms.

Pass whatever laws you want. It will NEVER change a thing in todays America.

I mean, is someone literally going to kick in my door and search my entire house for all of my firearms? Even the ones I have hidden in secret compartments around my house?

Good luck with that.

RMK

This photo sums up the odd priorities:

Face it.... your culture does not understand a need for guns... you live in a different world where you have always been indoctrinated by those in power( who have stayed in power for centuries by having an unarmed populace). Your criminals rely on that knowledge of an unarmed populace.. yes you do have violent crime.... and those who wish to kill someone find other less efficient means.... both in Europe and in Canada. The nanny states you have created tell you how safe you are all the time but are you really??? What have you given up to be so "safe"

that_guy

my simple point: BAN all firearms in America today. As in right this second, outright ban all firearms in all capacities.

That is not a simple point at all. One example, what happens to those who rely on firearms as a means to hunt/kill and feed their families?

tkhayes

and some of that shit will happen regardless of whether society has 300M guns in the hands of idiots, or even if society has massive restrictions on guns and most guns are in the hands of responsible gun owners criminals.

Gun laws and restrictions don't impact criminals.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The problem with gun free zones is they're basically on the honor system.

If one truly wants a gun free zone, it needs to be a secured area where people are scanned and searched by armed guards prior to entering.

The other reason the guards are armed is as backup in case there is an incident inside the area.

From the Chatanooga thread.

All areas should be secured. Either passively, allowing people to defend themselves, or actively with if the place chooses to be "gun-free."

Let's give everyone the chance of survival.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

removing guns from the citizenry (sounds like what you want to do) will (and has elsewhere) result in a rise in violent crime.

The CDC published study (in 2012) about gun violence estimated between 500K and 3M defensive gun uses each year (DGU defined as showing, brandishing, or firing to stop a violent crime). In the US in 2011 (stats available at the time of the study) there were 1,214,462 violent crimes. Extrapolating, guns in the hands of the citizenry possibly prevented between 6,000 and 37,000 murders, between 35,000 and 208,000 rapes, between 146,000 and 875,000 robberies, and between 313,000 and 1,879,000 aggravated assaults.

Where is the tradeoff a good one for you?
--
Rob

normiss

I do wish our gooberment would at least attempt to work towards closing the gaping hole of insane people with guns.

That will never happen as long as voters, the GOP and the NRA think Obama, Liberals, FEMA, etc. will take everyone's guns. Thus the reason we can never, ever have a rational debate over logical ways to curb gun violence.

JohnnyMarko

That is not a simple point at all. One example, what happens to those who rely on firearms as a means to hunt/kill and feed their families?

That actually helps make my point. Those are some of the many types of people that will simply not give up their gun ownership rights even if a nationwide ban was implemented,

normiss

I do wish our gooberment would at least attempt to work towards closing the gaping hole of insane people with guns.

how about closing the similar gap of criminals with guns? impossible gap to close. If someone wants gun it is not very hard to get one, legally or illegally. I grew up in an area where guns were normal. I used to carry my illegally purchased firearm with me everywhere when i was 16. not hard to buy a gun in America. No legislation will ever change that.

rhaig

removing guns from the citizenry (sounds like what you want to do) will (and has elsewhere) result in a rise in violent crime

eventually by the government in charge, too

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hooknswoop

30000 people die every year at the end of a gun. that is 'mass' in my definition.

How many die in vehicles?

Is that number acceptable to you?

Derek V

But we pass laws to try and make vehicles safer. Pedestrian-friendly materials and shapes. Seat-belts. Crumple zones. Speed limits. The list goes on and on...

We literally do nothing, not even have constructive discussions when American civilians kill other American civilians.

JohnnyMarko hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread.

The next headline will read:
'X number dead in school / shopping mall / restaurant shooting' and the seemingly correct response from the US as a nation is 'Nothing to see here. Business as usual. Carry on...'

normiss

Part of that gap is catching idiots carrying illegally and throwing them in jail for 10 years for unlawful possession of a deadly weapon.
Next!

sorry, but that is a horrible solution. prisons are already overcrowded and filled with people that don't need to be there. Sapping resources from our taxpayer pool of funding.

What about people that are illegally carrying but are good people simply trying to protect themselves any way they can? sorry joe citizen, ten year mandatory sentence. f that

Now you're showing the problem.
Carrying illegally should be severely punished.
Remember criminals don't obey laws, so simply coming up with more layers has no effect on the part of the problem.
If Joe Citizen is in fact a "good person trying to defend himself", then he should follow the law, not break it.
:S

normiss

That wont stop this from happening.

-You will never get enough guns off American soil
-Criminals do not follow laws

Even if you do have a perfect database of mentally ill, and instant automatic revocation of gun rights for people diagnosed you will still have those that billvon described below in the military shotting thread that you cannot prevent.

Or someone gets a call out of the blue that their wife is dumping them, and they have a full liquor cabinet and a handgun. Or they get pulled over for drunk driving and realize they will lose their job, their marriage and their kids as a result - and there is a gun within reach. Or they find out that their mistress is going to call the papers. Lots of cases where the event that starts the chain that leads them to kill themselves is not the sudden onset of disease, but a triggering event that leads a _relatively_ (not perfectly) stable person to decide to kill themselves.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Then clearly, we continue to do nothing but give up?

I disagree.

We have sufficient laws for most of the issues, now fix the mental health problem. Like this case was. The system, again, failed us.

Throwing your your hands up and shrugging is not the answer.

We literally do nothing, not even have constructive discussions when American civilians kill other American civilians.

Do you even know how many gun laws and stipulations there are to get a gun on all governmental levels? We have done a LOT! More laws will not stop this. Only minimize it to some degree like billvon said

Or someone gets a call out of the blue that their wife is dumping them, and they have a full liquor cabinet and a handgun. Or they get pulled over for drunk driving and realize they will lose their job, their marriage and their kids as a result - and there is a gun within reach. Or they find out that their mistress is going to call the papers. Lots of cases where the event that starts the chain that leads them to kill themselves is not the sudden onset of disease, but a triggering event that leads a _relatively_ (not perfectly) stable person to decide to kill themselves.

Look back at some of the past shootings, and they have been the ones he is talking about. A person who met the requirements to legally own a gun but snapped in the head with no warning to those around them just like the recent church shooting.

If you come to me with a problem, you better have a solution, so what is your solution?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Hooknswoop

30000 people die every year at the end of a gun. that is 'mass' in my definition.

How many die in vehicles?

Is that number acceptable to you?

Derek V

Just imagine how much worse it would be if there wasn't mandatory testing, insurance, and licencing...
Remster

Amazon

***This photo sums up the odd priorities:

Face it.... your culture does not understand a need for guns... you live in a different world where you have always been indoctrinated by those in power( who have stayed in power for centuries by having an unarmed populace). Your criminals rely on that knowledge of an unarmed populace.. yes you do have violent crime.... and those who wish to kill someone find other less efficient means.... both in Europe and in Canada. The nanny states you have created tell you how safe you are all the time but are you really??? What have you given up to be so "safe"

You've got to give up this "freedom" bullshit. With the exception of going down to the supermarket and buying a AR15, we have far greater freedoms in Europe than the US (I lived there for near 20yrs).

No the US does not have a monopoly on "bad" people; we have them too, but yes, Europe is more civil and safer in a general sense.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

normiss

Now you're showing the problem.
Carrying illegally should be severely punished.
Remember criminals don't obey laws, so simply coming up with more layers has no effect on the part of the problem.
If Joe Citizen is in fact a "good person trying to defend himself", then he should follow the law, not break it.
:S

SMH

Did you exceed the speed limit today at all?
Did you maybe look at your phone while driving?
Do you always use your turn signal?

you're a criminal then. Lock em up.

If i need to carry one of my legally purchased firearms with me to an exceedingly dangerous area of town I will, even without having a concealed carry permit.

You come to California and tell me that getting a concealed carry license is something any upstanding citizen can do. I am a military combat vet with a flawless record and even i can't get a concealed carry permit because of the "Laws" that you don't think exist.

So should i be in prison because of the choice i make to position myself to defend my life and my family?