yoink

Gunman opens fire at cinema in Lafayette

RMK

******This photo sums up the odd priorities:

Face it.... your culture does not understand a need for guns... you live in a different world where you have always been indoctrinated by those in power( who have stayed in power for centuries by having an unarmed populace). Your criminals rely on that knowledge of an unarmed populace.. yes you do have violent crime.... and those who wish to kill someone find other less efficient means.... both in Europe and in Canada. The nanny states you have created tell you how safe you are all the time but are you really??? What have you given up to be so "safe"

You've got to give up this "freedom" bullshit. With the exception of going down to the supermarket and buying a AR15, we have far greater freedoms in Europe than the US (I lived there for near 20yrs).

No the US does not have a monopoly on "bad" people; we have them too, but yes, Europe is more civil and safer in a general sense.

Is there any sort of law (like Godwin's) that says an argument about guns instantly goes to U.S.A. v Europe?

Did you exceed the speed limit today at all?
No
Did you maybe look at your phone while driving?
Never, muted and face down out of view.
Do you always use your turn signal?
Yes, major pet peeve.
:P

Edit to add: I'm sorry you're unhappy with your choice of places to live.
That's not at issue in this discussion, you made that choice.

normiss

Did you exceed the speed limit today at all?
No
Did you maybe look at your phone while driving?
Never, muted and face down out of view.
Do you always use your turn signal?
Yes, major pet peeve.
:P

LOL. even if you don't agree, i think you may be able to see the point im trying to make.B|

BTW. I absolutely love where I live and wont ever move, i also enjoy not dying because i can't defend myself. I've been shot at, ive been mortared and rocketed. Death at the hand of another is not something i will ever be ok with.

I also carry when i go hiking in the mountains to protect myself against other people as well as wild animals. Ooops there i go being a criminal again i guess

that_guy

***Part of that gap is catching idiots carrying illegally and throwing them in jail for 10 years for unlawful possession of a deadly weapon.
Next!

sorry, but that is a horrible solution. prisons are already overcrowded and filled with people that don't need to be there. Sapping resources from our taxpayer pool of funding.

What about people that are illegally carrying but are good people simply trying to protect themselves any way they can? sorry joe citizen, ten year mandatory sentence. f that

There are other things that can be done with non-violent offenders like the thousands sent to jail for having a joint.....in their possession... we now have a police state and corporate prisons thanks to GFS policies of the fringe right and Saint Ronald.

Leave him in prison for his terrorist conspiracy involving arson would have helped I think.
He was also known to law enforcement as a nutter in need of and receiving mental health services.
He was simply doing what god told him to do though, so I guess we're stymied this time by his religious rights.
Oh well......

that_guy

So should i be in prison because of the choice i make to position myself to defend my life and my family?

I never said you should be locked up.

But yes. You should be fined and have your right to purchase or own a firearm revoked for a period of time (IMO).

You've broken the law. Whether you agree with it or not is a moot point. You've proven you can't be trusted.

No what would you do to prevent this from happening again. Not this incident I am talking mass shootings across the U.S.. RIGHT now you are the person in charge go! What is the solution?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

JohnnyMarko

*********This photo sums up the odd priorities:

Face it.... your culture does not understand a need for guns... you live in a different world where you have always been indoctrinated by those in power( who have stayed in power for centuries by having an unarmed populace). Your criminals rely on that knowledge of an unarmed populace.. yes you do have violent crime.... and those who wish to kill someone find other less efficient means.... both in Europe and in Canada. The nanny states you have created tell you how safe you are all the time but are you really??? What have you given up to be so "safe"

You've got to give up this "freedom" bullshit. With the exception of going down to the supermarket and buying a AR15, we have far greater freedoms in Europe than the US (I lived there for near 20yrs).

No the US does not have a monopoly on "bad" people; we have them too, but yes, Europe is more civil and safer in a general sense.

Is there any sort of law (like Godwin's) that says an argument about guns instantly goes to U.S.A. v Europe?

It turns into that because our large contingent of Euro types ALWAYS go there... in an instant. Since most of the people in this country descend from Europeans that were not willing to put up with the status quo in their home countries they left OR were transported OR BUTCHERED to get rid of any dissent. That happened for a few centuries. Those who stayed at home learned to kow-tow..... or else.

As stated before, enforce the penalties for illegal possession.
It's really the only logical starting point.
Criminals don't follow the law in the first place, making the penalty severe is about all we can do in that regard.
The mental health issue is another topic on it's own.
Given his documented criminal and mental issues, there is no way this guy should be anywhere near a weapon.
I have yet to hear how he acquired this weapon, but if there is a trail, those people in the trail should be charged and jailed.
We have to start addressing this or we will all lose some freedom.
The current system has failed us yet again.

normiss

Criminals don't follow the law in the first place, making the penalty severe is about all we can do in that regard.
Given his documented criminal and mental issues, there is no way this guy should be anywhere near a weapon.
I have yet to hear how he acquired this weapon, but if there is a trail, those people in the trail should be charged and jailed.

Here's a thought. Bring back the chain gangs for non-violent offenders for highway clean-up, etc. Wearing pink striped uniforms. For starters... :P
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

normiss

So your only answer to stop mass shootings is make penalties harder for illegal possession putting more people in jail. And you have no options for what is to be done about mental illness :S.

As much as you complain about it I sure as hell would figure you would have all the answers if only we would just listen to you.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

No what would you do to prevent this from happening again. Not this incident I am talking mass shootings across the U.S.. RIGHT now you are the person in charge go! What is the solution?

Make everyone stay inside, kill anyone that leaves their home, put a fast track on Amazon drone delivery so we never have to go anywhere.

So you're good with illegal gun possession?
:S:S:S

Mental side - we have plenty of databases we could easily add the nutter flag to. If you're flagged, you have zero legal access to a weapon.
When found in possession of one, off you go! Depending on the situation and previous nutter incidents, prison or mental hospital.

Why are you so fiercely defending illegal and insane gun ownership?

JohnnyMarko

***No what would you do to prevent this from happening again. Not this incident I am talking mass shootings across the U.S.. RIGHT now you are the person in charge go! What is the solution?

Make everyone stay inside, kill anyone that leaves their home, put a fast track on Armored and Armed Amazon drone delivery so we never have to go anywhere.

Triple A takes on new meaning.. cause you know some idjit is going to shoot at those things

normiss

Mental side - we have plenty of databases we could easily add the nutter flag to. If you're flagged, you have zero legal access to a weapon.
When found in possession of one, off you go! Depending on the situation and previous nutter incidents, prison or mental hospital.

Saint Ronald closed so many....... now they just go to prison...

Jerry will object of course...

yoink

'X number dead in school / shopping mall / restaurant "gun free zone" shooting' and the seemingly correct response from the US as a nation is 'Nothing to see here. Business as usual. Carry on...'

Starting to see the pattern?

How many shootings in "gun free zones" vs. non?
Of those "gun free zones"
* How many had armed security?
* How many was there some sort of search conducted prior to entry to check for guns?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

normiss

I am not defending illegal gun ownership. I was simply stating that if it is illegal or not does ZERO to stop someone, mentally insane or not, from purchasing a firearm. It's just called reality.

So on the mental side of things. I, as previously mentioned, am a combat vet and i have been treated for PTSD for several years. I can and do still buy guns legally. Should i no longer be allowed to own a firearm because i have a flag in the system as a "Nutter" as you so eloquently put it?

I'll go back to my original question:
If today, a nationwide ban on all gun ownership was put into effect, how long do you think it would be before all gun related homicides in America stopped? This really was one of my only points i was trying to initially make.

The first step towards having an "honest discussion about gun violence" is to drop the charade that either political party actually champions that right now.

Second step would be to admit that we have a gun problem that other countries do not have. And that we simply refuse to act on it.

You can make that your original point all you like, but that's not the issue and it sure as hell won't happen.
Diagnosed with PTSD?
Yep, no pew pew for you my friend.

I'd also like to see us tighten up private sales.
I fully support them, just so long as they happen at a cop shop.
Everyone gets checked and finger printed.
Including family transfers of ownership.
Hell I can't even give you my car without doing that.
[:/]

normiss

Your so pissed your putting words into my mouth that I never said lmao!.. But please stop its a childish way to discuss things. I am defending nothing. People here say we always defend the other side after these kinds of things and stonewall and argue. I am giving anyone the keys to the city to propose a solution, and so far it's putting more people in jail. I'm the one doing good here.

So that your plan to prevent these shootings, because it doesn't stop.
-guns the authorities did not know the person had
-street bought guns
-straw purchases
-stealing firearms
-normal legally owned firearm holders who instantly snap over a spontaneous situation(rape/divorce/fired/etc) with no previous criminal or mental illness.

I think part of the problem is that we're looking to a solution to everything at once.

There are many facets to the problem. Even if we only tighten up on 1 out of the 5 you just listed, surely that's better than doing nothing and saying 'Can't be fixed!'?

I think a holistic solution would cause more issues (given the complex nature of society) than a step-wise one would.
Pick the biggest / easiest problem to solve and try to fix that one first. Then in a few years, try for the next...