quade

Vendor shoots woman at Pennsylvania gun show

My question is in regard to this part;

Hawk told police he had done the same demonstration about 20 times without incident before the shooting, "racking" the gun's slide to clear it of bullets each time, Sharrow said.

Somehow, the gun was loaded when Gearhart was shot.
Police said Hawk told them he had left the gun on display when he completed background checks on some customers and believes it's possible someone loaded the gun when he was busy.

Source:
http://hosted2.ap.org/CAANR/cbf3767d533b4c4aae30db330aaf62aa/Article_2014-06-29-US--Gun%20Show%20Shooting/id-28686cd1b3744680b8abd3accab9e565

If he racks the gun before each demonstration to check the chamber, then would it still be possible for their to be a bullet in the chamber to fire?

Also, he just left a gun sitting on a counter (and by his own implication out of his control) while doing background checks on some customers?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In theory, racking the slide should clear any loaded cartridges from the chamber. But if there's a loaded magazine in it, then working the slide would put one in.

In any case, simply racking the slide (no matter how many times) is not an adequate substitute for a visual check.

And the rules "Treat Every Gun As If It's Loaded" & "Always Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction" are there for a reason.

It's not clear from the article why the trigger was pulled. That shouldn't have happened. And the gun should have been pointed in a safe direction when the trigger was pulled.

The article seems to indicate that he was demonstrating a holster. They make non-functional training guns (known as "Blue Guns") for that sort of thing. Fake guns that are clearly not real, but are shaped accurately enough for holster work and retention practice.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I suppose the handgun could have a broken extractor thus failing to hook the cartridge rim and remain in chamber after racking.

He broke all ten gun safety commandments except maybe the one that says use proper ammo.

IMO he probably thought he racked the slide but didn't pull it back far enough to allow the extractor to eject round. Some handguns especially when new take a fair amount of strength to bring slide completely to rear.

An all around bad move.

quade

If he racks the gun before each demonstration to check the chamber, then would it still be possible for their to be a bullet in the chamber to fire?

Also, he just left a gun sitting on a counter (and by his own implication out of his control) while doing background checks on some customers?

the article was a bit scant on details - I can't tell if the vendor shot her, or if she shot herself drawing from the holster.

There's no defense for him shooting someone in the leg - that's two separate grossly negligent acts, three if the demo could be done with the trigger finger in the safe position.

If he hands her a loaded gun and then she ADs herself in the draw, it's more muddled. She has responsibilities too, but he was already walking on the edge.

kelpdiver

the article was a bit scant on details - I can't tell if the vendor shot her, or if she shot herself drawing from the holster.

There's no defense for him shooting someone in the leg - that's two separate grossly negligent acts, three if the demo could be done with the trigger finger in the safe position.

If he hands her a loaded gun and then she ADs herself in the draw, it's more muddled. She has responsibilities too, but he was already walking on the edge.

Has anyone considered he was paid to do that?

Maybe her man decided she needed to be shot?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Every time I read about someone pointing a gun they presumed to be unloaded at a friend and pulling the trigger, I wonder if they did exactly what they intended to do.

kelpdiver

Every time I read about someone pointing a gun they presumed to be unloaded at a friend and pulling the trigger, I wonder if they did exactly what they intended to do.

Ain't that the truth:(

Every fibre of my being just does not compute how FUCKING stupid it is to accidentally shoot someone.
Even the act of pointing a gun at someone unless I intend to kill them in their tracks is just not something I am ever willing to do. That was a very basic lesson that the grandfather cuffed me a couple times because I messed up with muzzle control... and that was the very simple lesson.
Only point a weapon at another human being if they have decided they want to die.

wolfriverjoe

In any case, simply racking the slide (no matter how many times) is not an adequate substitute for a visual check.

It's like touching your handles, checking the chamber is a healthy compulsion.

That said, I have a hard time believing that anyone would have loaded the gun while it was on display without malicious intent.

Amazon

Every fibre of my being just does not compute how FUCKING stupid it is to accidentally shoot someone.
Even the act of pointing a gun at someone unless I intend to kill them in their tracks is just not something I am ever willing to do. That was a very basic lesson that the grandfather cuffed me a couple times because I messed up with muzzle control... and that was the very simple lesson.
Only point a weapon at another human being if they have decided they want to die.

Good post
Much the same happened to me but add one embarasing exception.
I had a range officer in an indoor range chew my ass about 15 years ago when I brain farte and lost sight of my muzzel direction
Chewed my ass out in front of all there
I had it coming
I never forgot again (to date)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

Good post
Much the same happened to me but add one embarasing exception.
I had a range officer in an indoor range chew my ass about 15 years ago when I brain farte and lost sight of my muzzel direction
Chewed my ass out in front of all there
I had it coming
I never forgot again (to date)

Like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu51rszgotI

BTW, my money is on: he negligently (but not maliciously) failed/forgot to rack the slide, and is just plain lying about it.

If an accidental shooting has to happen anywhere, I can't think of a better place than a gun show.

Everyone that walked in the door knew the hall would be filled with gun nuts. Of course, they all have the same mantra of "I've got the training" ...
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

quade

The news reports I've heard say it was a .380. These tend to have lightweight slides and light recoil springs. If you put a round into the barrel manually (not from a magazine) and ride the slide down the extractor can come to rest on top of the cartridge instead of gripping it. Then when you drop the magazine and rack the slide, nothing comes out. When you release the slide it will slam home and grip the round, ready to fire. Which is why the visual check is such an important part of the clearing drill.

skiskyrock

The news reports I've heard say it was a .380. These tend to have lightweight slides and light recoil springs. If you put a round into the barrel manually (not from a magazine) and ride the slide down the extractor can come to rest on top of the cartridge instead of gripping it. Then when you drop the magazine and rack the slide, nothing comes out. When you release the slide it will slam home and grip the round, ready to fire. Which is why the visual check is such an important part of the clearing drill.

OK - so why pull the trigger then?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

OK - so why pull the trigger then?

A severe case of dumbassery