Skyper

US Drone captured above Iran...

dude , the yankie government has admitted it !

I do consider the Iranians though would have had to have other parties help in the electronic warfare that brought it down. Like Chinese... those buggers have already cloned the f22 and everything else on earth. Industrial espionage is the new big thing...

RQ-170, (AKA perfectly good drone), runs out of fuel, or looses signal, or takes a coffee break. Is trained to land in such situations but how does it land without damage. Even landing in controlled flight there is a high probability of hitting some kind of obstacle. Maybe Iran has a great salt flat area without gopher holes. I don't know.

there are some rummors that iranians hacked the communication lines and took full control over the plane... that's maybe the reason selfdestruction mechanism was not activated and they actually landed the plane... sounds strange but not impossible...

Too bad it didn't have time delay self destruct charges.

"And here is the drone we captured from the infidel do...." ***BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM***

:)That would have been funny!

Strange how did it land so well....not messed up!
Strange right!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

there are some rummors that iranians hacked the communication lines and took full control over the plane... that's maybe the reason selfdestruction mechanism was not activated and they actually landed the plane... sounds strange but not impossible...

We will never know other than the rumors.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

RQ-170, (AKA perfectly good drone), runs out of fuel, or looses signal, or takes a coffee break. Is trained to land in such situations but how does it land without damage. Even landing in controlled flight there is a high probability of hitting some kind of obstacle. Maybe Iran has a great salt flat area without gopher holes. I don't know.

The film shows some light damage on the leading edge and just above on the port wing. You also can't see the state of the bottom of it.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Not strange at all, it wasn't that long ago that similar actions were taken against Predators using equipment from a radioshack type shop. (Go google)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

You're an engineer - figure it out. I'm sure it's just like an AN2; the default position of all the controls when it loses it's signals puts it into a gentle glide, perfectly suitable for a smooth landing if you luck out over flat terrain. That would be built into it to save the aircraft, presuming that friendly hands could recover it, so it could be re-used.

If Obama had any balls, he would have dropped a bomb on it to destroy it before the Iranians recovered it.

You're an engineer - figure it out. I'm sure it's just like an AN2; the default position of all the controls when it loses it's signals puts it into a gentle glide, perfectly suitable for a smooth landing if you luck out over flat terrain. That would be built into it to save the aircraft, presuming that friendly hands could recover it, so it could be re-used.

If Obama had any balls, he would have dropped a bomb on it to destroy it before the Iranians recovered it.

> There are report coming out as we speak that the Military was planning to do just that. They had several options available, all which had to be approved by the WH. It appears that did not happen in time or someother excuss for not distorying this drone.

The Military is very concerned now that our enemies have the necessary tecnology to advance their weapons programs that could cause the death of hundred if not thousand of our fighting men and women in combat situations in the future. I'll see if my skills have improve to attach some of this chatter.

"With early knowledge that the aircraft had likely remained intact, the senior U.S. official also told Fox News that President Obama was presented with three separate options for retrieving or destroying the drone. The president ultimately decided not to proceed with any of the plans because it could have been seen as an act of war, the official told Fox News.

Among the options the U.S. considered were sending in a special-ops team to retrieve the drone; sending in a team to blow up the aircraft; and launching an airstrike to destroy it."

When did Iran last time attack another country.

Iran is no better or worse than many of our "friends" we deal with every days business all over the world. They just do not obey when we tell them too do.

Fucking warmongers

>I'm sure it's just like an AN2; the default position of all the controls when it loses it's
>signals puts it into a gentle glide, perfectly suitable for a smooth landing if you luck out
>over flat terrain.

The default for LOS is return and loiter, not "go land somewhere." All military RPV systems I am familiar with have this feature; even hobbyist UAV autopilot systems implement an "auto-return" function. This system may well be some new and improved system, but somehow I have a feeling that they did not remove this option on an aircraft intended to fly over enemy territory.

>I'm sure it's just like an AN2; the default position of all the controls when it loses it's
>signals puts it into a gentle glide, perfectly suitable for a smooth landing if you luck out
>over flat terrain.

The default for LOS is return and loiter, not "go land somewhere." All military RPV systems I am familiar with have this feature; even hobbyist UAV autopilot systems implement an "auto-return" function. This system may well be some new and improved system, but somehow I have a feeling that they did not remove this option on an aircraft intended to fly over enemy territory.

That's what I was getting at. When it loses its signal about to where it should return, and it runs out of fuel, then the controls are going to go into a gentle glide to try and save the aircraft.

Seems like there should be a self-destruct mechanism too though. If it's landed in the above circumstances, with no contact from home base, then after an hour or so, blow the darned thing up with some internal explosive that destoys all the sensitive components.