Skyper

US Drone captured above Iran...

>When it loses its signal about to where it should return . . . .

How does it "lose its signal about where it should return?" Even toy autopilots have GPS, and it's hard to jam GPS across a wide area. But even if they do, every military RPV I've seen has an IMU to let them navigate back home - and you can't jam them.

Now, you could theorize that it ran out of fuel just after it lost its signal, but in that case it would have crashed anyway.

>Seems like there should be a self-destruct mechanism too though.

From what I've read, there is.

>EMP?

That could do it, although it would be difficult to imagine an EMP event that could disable a military drone while not being detected in, say, Pakistan (and a fair number of people are watching Pakistan pretty closely for EMP events for obvious reasons.)

>I'm sure it's just like an AN2; the default position of all the controls when it loses it's
>signals puts it into a gentle glide, perfectly suitable for a smooth landing if you luck out
>over flat terrain.

The default for LOS is return and loiter, not "go land somewhere." All military RPV systems I am familiar with have this feature; even hobbyist UAV autopilot systems implement an "auto-return" function. This system may well be some new and improved system, but somehow I have a feeling that they did not remove this option on an aircraft intended to fly over enemy territory.

That's what I was getting at. When it loses its signal about to where it should return, and it runs out of fuel, then the controls are going to go into a gentle glide to try and save the aircraft.

Seems like there should be a self-destruct mechanism too though. If it's landed in the above circumstances, with no contact from home base, then after an hour or so, blow the darned thing up with some internal explosive that destoys all the sensitive components.

Your position presumes that the signal was lost and not hijacked, which would also account for a lack of damage.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

How does it "lose its signal about where it should return?" Even toy autopilots have GPS, and it's hard to jam GPS across a wide area.

In order to get GPS data, you need battery power. Batteries go dead. Generators fail. When I'm hiking with GPS, I carry spare batteries for that possibility. It's kind of hard to change out batteries on an unmanned drone that is hundreds of miles away from home base over enemy territory.

My home computer's internal CMOS battery is dead, and it can't even keep the internal clock running between a shutdown and the next startup. I have to manually set the time after every startup. If I forget, my e-mails get tagged with a time stamp that is from the day before.

Shit happens.

The film shows some light damage on the leading edge and just above on the port wing. You also can't see the state of the bottom of it.

Given Iran's history, I would have to assume that anything obscured by the banners and not explicitly visible in the video was destroyed in the crash. I can't blame them for playing up the good condition of the aircraft though, it's good political posturing...

...and when they sell it on eBay to the Chinese they'll get more money for it.

>In order to get GPS data, you need battery power.

Every large UAV that I've seen gets its electrical power from a generator or an alternator, like a typical aircraft.

Did you just read the first sentence I wrote, jumped to a conclusion, and then posted this so-called rebuttal? Maybe you should have kept reading for another five words, and you would have seen that I specifically addressed the generator issue.

Batteries sometimes go dead unexpectedly. So do generators. And everything else mechanical or electrical. You should know this. Are you arguing that UAV's are perfect and never have anything fail in their systems?

>Did you just read the first sentence I wrote, jumped to a conclusion, and then posted
>this so-called rebuttal?

No, I replied before you edited your response to include generator failure. Yes, several systems in the drone could have failed and caused it to crash.

She's broken...check out the wings and how they are sagging....she crashed.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I LOL'd @ the American flag with white skulls instead of stars....:D how very Goth of them..... Uh, guys? How old are you? :D

Very Greenday don't you think ?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

"TEHRAN (FNA)- The Iranian state broadcaster Thursday evening released the first images of the highly advanced US stealth spy drone which was downed through a cyberattack by Iranian military forces last week as it was flying over the country's airspace."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L2fQf66DfI&feature=related

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The question should be: "What was the Obama administration up to sending a drone into Iran"? When Obama told the world "Yes we can", what he meant was "Yes we will be just like the other guys". Just don't expect the Leftist media to slam Obama since they invented him to be our Messiah our Superhero Savior of the Universe. However some of us don't need Messiahs and certainly not Messiah politicians. They all suck ... every last one of them. :P

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

OR maybe we needed a reason to tighten things up?
Over the past few months Iran has done some dumb shit but nothing aimed at the US.
Now it has...or looks as if it has.....so now the US and NATO have a reason to not invade Iran but to turn up the heat.
Iran has been under pressure from around the middle east with respect to the Arab Spring but now...it's Irans turn.
A little bit of heat a bit of pressure and who knows what will happen?

she meant to say a cyber attack by china...

(and if they can do it once)

Hey Mista..... Can I have my ball secret_spying_on_you_drone back?

Fuck off .. finders, keepers.

It might even still be spying on them right now! The folks over in Tampa are probably watching a computer screen just waiting for the "right" people to come by and have a look and ....KABOOOOM! B|