grimmie

Burn the Quran!

>"Constructive" is subjective . . . depending on where your beliefs are.

>>It also has a literal meaning. The mosque is constructive; the Koran burning is >>destructive. Literally.

You are half right. Literaly the Mosque its self has to be constructed, it cannot be constructive in and of its self. A more accurate word would be "potential".

>You could have very well have typed "If the media had not started their
>blitz on the burning of the koran, no one would have even noticed it was
>there."

Quite true - and there's the big difference between the two.

If the media had not started their blitz on the mosque, they would still be quietly planning it as they have been for the past year, and it would someday open and serve its purpose as a mosque, without fanfare or fearmongering headlines. The way things are, the media may well destroy that plan.

If the media had not started their blitz on the Koran-burning, he would have had no incentive to burn it - because he would have been unable to piss anyone off. He NEEDED the media's fearmongering to make his political point.

Are you 100% positive that the media coverage of the Mosque is not by design? I am one of MANY people that conclude it is.[:/] I think the plan just backfired on them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>Are you 100% positive that the media coverage of the Mosque is not by
>design?

Ah, the old "double blind!" They _say_ they want to build the Mosque, and they _say_ they don't want publicity. Then they secretly recruit an anti-Muslim columnist to do their bidding, who agrees for . . . uh . . . some reason to write the article they want her to write, and who further manages to keep her support of Muslim treachery a secret.

Then they intentionally give interviews in which they try to reassure people that there will be no opening on 9/11, no "victory mosque" stuff, no support of terrorism etc. hoping that people will actually believe the exact opposite!

I like it! Illogical, unsupported by facts AND fearmongering! Have you sent it in to FOX yet?

>Are you 100% positive that the media coverage of the Mosque is not by
>design?

Ah, the old "double blind!" They _say_ they want to build the Mosque, and they _say_ they don't want publicity. Then they secretly recruit an anti-Muslim columnist to do their bidding, who agrees for . . . uh . . . some reason to write the article they want her to write, and who further manages to keep her support of Muslim treachery a secret.

Then they intentionally give interviews in which they try to reassure people that there will be no opening on 9/11, no "victory mosque" stuff, no support of terrorism etc. hoping that people will actually believe the exact opposite!

I like it! Illogical, unsupported by facts AND fearmongering! Have you sent it in to FOX yet?

Do you believe that people misrepresent themselves and go to protests to instigate and escalate the violence?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Do you believe that people misrepresent themselves and go to protests to instigate and escalate the violence?

Some do, the majority don't.

Do you believe that people can bounce and live?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Some do, the majority don't.

Do you believe that people can bounce and live?

Wendy P.

Do you believe in trampolines?

>So the two issues, to me, are completely different.

Based solely on what you think the "motivation" of each leader is based on.

That's subjective nonsense. They both have the right to do what they want with their properties. The issues are the same. Motivation is none of our business.

Motivation doesn't matter here. Except as a basis for everyone to argue whatever their pet positions are.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Do you believe that people don't misrepresent themselves and don't go to protests to instigate and escalate the violence?

I believe Schroedinger's cat may or may not accurately represent or misrepresent himself so he may or may not go to a protest or support rally to instigate/subdue and escalate/mitigate violence and/or bake sales.

But, how would we know?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That's subjective nonsense. They both have the right to do what they want with their properties. The issues are the same. Motivation is none of our business.

Motivation doesn't matter here.

It doesn't matter to whether or not those people get to do what they want to do, it does matter for other people when deciding whether or not to say "Dude, you're an arsehole."
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> Motivation is none of our business.

I agree 100%. Their motivations, and other people's interpretations of them, should not come into play when making this decision.

>They both have the right to do what they want with their properties.

Also agreed.

Motivation doesn't matter here.

It doesn't matter to whether or not those people get to do what they want to do, it does matter for other people when deciding whether or not to say "Dude, you're an arsehole."

absolutely - you and I have been on that position all along

and, our decision to judge these people, though interesting, is a futile exercise, as fun as the debate may be

I agree that both acts are within the rights as a citizen of this country.

However, the difference, I see, is that the burning is contrary to what this country was founded on.

The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion.

--------------The Constitution of the United States--------------

Preamble

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
F LORIDA!

However, the difference, I see, is that the burning is contrary to what this country was founded on.

How so?

One of the main reasons this country was founded was to escape religious persecution.

The burning is also creating an unnecessary risk to the citizens here in the states and abroad.
F LORIDA!

How so?

One of the main reasons this country was founded was to escape religious persecution.

The burning is also creating an unnecessary risk to the citizens here in the states and abroad.

Risk to the citizens here and abroad by burning the Koran? Sounds like religious persecution to me.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion.

--------------The Constitution of the United States--------------

Preamble

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

They peaceably can assemble to burn books. So where's the contradiction?

"The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion."

Yes, and .... ???

Show me the difference, please.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

>One of the main reasons this country was founded was to escape religious persecution.

Agreed.

But while burning mosques, or preventing them from being built, would certainly count as religious persecution, burning books is not. He (or you) can burn any book you like.

Now, if the government got involved with burning those books, it would indeed be a huge problem. But that has not happened; it's just one guy who wants to get a reaction from the media.

>One of the main reasons this country was founded was to escape religious persecution.

Agreed.

But while burning mosques, or preventing them from being built, would certainly count as religious persecution, burning books is not. He (or you) can burn any book you like.

Now, if the government got involved with burning those books, it would indeed be a huge problem. But that has not happened; it's just one guy who wants to get a reaction from the media.

Ahh but the government is involved. Statements and phone calls from the pres....from Gates and Patreus is not the government getting involved?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Agreed.

Maybe the imbecile from Florida will just fly an airplane into the Ground Zero "mosque" in retribution :S

Agreed.

But yet, you claim citizens that are against the building of the mosque in the planned location are against freedom of religion - you seem to have a bit of a disconnect going on.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Agreed.

But yet, you claim citizens that are against the building of the mosque in the planned location are against freedom of religion - you seem to have a bit of a disconnect going on.

The significant percentage who don't think that the builders have or should have the right to put the mosque where they want to put it, yes. They are against that freedom of religion. Same as anyone who doesn't think this guy has or should have the right to burn these books is against freedom of expression.

The significant percentage who don't think that the builders have or should have the right to put the mosque where they want to put it, yes. They are against that freedom of religion. Same as anyone who doesn't think this guy has or should have the right to burn these books is against freedom of expression.

religion and speech,,,nonsense

freedom to build a building, freedom to burn your stuff

nothing deeper than that - doesn't have to be

what one does in THEIR building, or what one chooses to burn of THEIR property in no one else's business

religion and speech,,,nonsense

freedom to build a building, freedom to burn your stuff

nothing deeper than that - doesn't have to be

what one does in THEIR building, or what one chooses to burn of THEIR property in no one else's business

Well, actually it is deeper than that.

Local authorities can tell people what they're allowed to do with buildings and their land in certain areas, it's called zoning. What they can't do is tell people whether they are allowed to build a religious structure in a certain place dependant on which religion it represents.