grimmie

Burn the Quran!

Local authorities can tell people what they're allowed to do with buildings and their land in certain areas, it's called zoning. What they can't do is tell people whether they are allowed to build a religious structure in a certain place dependant on which religion it represents.

there you go, off talking about how the rule of law has to be applied equally to all without stupid bias by individuals that don't even own any of the stuff involved.

And, then, you have the gall to agree that this is the only legitimate point of the whole debate

you're like a monk or something, the depth staggers me... :P

have a good weekend

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>>Now, if the government got involved with burning those books . . .

>Ahh but the government is involved.

Wow! If that's true then I definitely agree - they are way out of line. Which books did they burn?

Are you saying the statements and phone calls are not government involvement?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Wow! If that's true then I definitely agree - they are way out of line. Which books did they burn?

Not officially.:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>But yet, you claim citizens that are against the building of the mosque
>in the planned location are against freedom of religion . . .

Yes. People who think that Muslims should be forbidden to build mosques near the WTC site are against freedom of religion. Per a recent poll, 28% of Americans think this.

>you seem to have a bit of a disconnect going on.

Not at all. It's quite simple. If you think the government should make decisions on what religion is OK where, or which books are OK where, then you oppose giving people those freedoms.

>But yet, you claim citizens that are against the building of the mosque
>in the planned location are against freedom of religion . . .

Yes. People who think that Muslims should be forbidden to build mosques near the WTC site are against freedom of religion. Per a recent poll, 28% of Americans think this.

>you seem to have a bit of a disconnect going on.

Not at all. It's quite simple. If you think the government should make decisions on what religion is OK where, or which books are OK where, then you oppose giving people those freedoms.

In your world, do you agree with everything that is law?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

>In your world, do you agree with everything that is law?

Nope. In general I think we do a pretty good job, though.

Of those laws that you disagree with do you follow them, or do you break them?

>Of those laws that you disagree with do you follow them, or do you break them?

Generally I follow them unless I have a really good reason to break them.

So you would generally agree that it is acceptable to disagree with a law and still follow it?

No they are not. They asked him to consider the consequences of his actions, especially how the troops in Afghanistan would be put at risk.

I can't find Patraeus' full statement, but there was a General Caldwell quoted in the Wall Street Journal who stated that Jones was within his rights to do so.

Government figures asking people not to do something isn't the same as, say, sending troops with fire extinguishers to Gainsville.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>Of those laws that you disagree with do you follow them, or do you break them?
Generally I follow them unless I have a really good reason to break them.

So you would generally agree that it is acceptable to disagree with a law and still follow it?

your debating skills are quite formidable , enjoying them immensely , do continue!

>One of the main reasons this country was founded was to escape religious persecution.

Agreed.

But while burning mosques, or preventing them from being built, would certainly count as religious persecution, burning books is not. He (or you) can burn any book you like.

Religious scriptures (Quran, Bible, Torah, Tanakh) are not just seen as 'books' to the people of these specific religions. So, yes, most of those people will consider burning religions scriptures as religious persecution.
F LORIDA!

However, the difference, I see, is that the burning is contrary to what this country was founded on.

The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion.

"The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion."

Why the strike out? They are moving an existing Mosque to a different location in order to accommodate more people are they not?
F LORIDA!

However, the difference, I see, is that the burning is contrary to what this country was founded on.

The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion.

"The moving/building of a larger Mosque allows more people to unite and practice their preferred religion."

Why the strike out? They are moving an existing Mosque to a different location in order to accommodate more people are they not?

No, they are not.