JohnRich

Washington, D.C. Banning Guns Again

What practical use is there for a semi automatic pistol?

freedom of speech - "what practical purpose is there to stand on a street corner and complain about .........?"

freedom of religion - "what practical purpose is there to be buddist?"

Since I personally don't find it 'practical' I agree with you and we should make all these things illegal. sure. why not?

You don't get that rights are for everyone, even those rights you CHOOSE personally not to exercise, still apply to the rest of us to make that choice for ourselves.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It is not that hard to shoot someone when you are stood in front of them.

If you think that pulling a gun on someone that already has a gun pointed at you is going to save you more than obeying thier commands, then when you are confronted, you will be a dead man!

if they were going to shoot you anyway, then you are already dead.

Most likely they want your money or valuables so they can buy thier next hit of crack!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

>If you think that pulling a gun on someone that already has a gun
>pointed at you is going to save you more than obeying thier commands,
>then when you are confronted, you will be a dead man!

That might just happen. But here in the US, you at least can make the decision to do that or not.

Actually, Marc - THIS TIME your first answer didn't really make any sense.

I was able to figure it out that "anti-gunners" are afraid of people exercising their constitutional rights.

not pro-gunners......

I screwed up (again) sorry:$
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Here's what really pisses me off about gun bans...

I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs. In good shape and training in martial arts. Not to mention dark skinned and sporting a goat-t. I'm not likely to be targeted by someone with bad intentions so a gun ban doesn't necessarily affect me.

But what about my girlfriend who is 5'6" and 140 pounds with no self defense training? Or my parents who are in their 60's and have a decent amount of money? Or the little old lady from DC who lives on social security so she can't live anywhere but the ghetto? Gun bans only make these folks more likely to be victims, not less.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

So what, specifically, are you saying the pro gun folks are afraid of?

A situation where you would have to use a gun!

In my 33 years of living I have never been close to needing a gun, If you live in constant fear of needing to use one..... you live in the wrong place.

Having a gun to defend yourself against a criminal is preparation, not fear. Or do people have home insurance, fire extinguishers, seatbelts and reserve canopies out of 'fear'?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I would venture to say if you ever do need one, you are going to be SOL.

If someone pulls a gun out at me will do what they say, if i were to have a gun and present it, i would think my chances of being killed would become a lot higher.

having a gun for defence is more likeley to get you killed than not having one.

Prove your assertion.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I would venture to say if you ever do need one, you are going to be SOL.

If someone pulls a gun out at me will do what they say, if i were to have a gun and present it, i would think my chances of being killed would become a lot higher.

having a gun for defence is more likeley to get you killed than not having one.

John has often posted research to the contrary- those that resist attack, with guns, with their fists, by running, fare better overall than those that sit there and bend over.

Criminals don't want a gun fight - that's very risky. They'd rather deal with someone cooperative. If you decide to pull out your gun, their inclination will be to run.

Doesn't mean it's always the right choice, but it's better to have a choice than to lie there begging for your life. 3 strikes legislation in this country has encouraged career thugs to kill rather than rob.

Why do people need semiautos? The revolver is not a relic, but it's not the preferred handgun anymore. Limited choice in ammunition, generally less concealable. Though I might like a 19th century western revolver some day, if I'm going to spend 600-900$ on a handgun, I want a current Sig.

When this reg fails, next they'll try to meet the court decision by allowing people to buy only .22 caliber semiautomatics.

>Prove your assertion.

To me, it's like an AAD.

If you get an AAD and do not make any changes in what you are doing, it's likely to make you safer. If you get an AAD so you can make more dangerous jumps, it is making you less safe.

Likewise, if you get a gun so you can feel safer in a neighborhood you are considering, or can be out later at night, or can remain at an ATM when someone questionable comes walking up to you - it is making you less safe.

A gun can surely help you win a gun battle. The gun battle avoided is by far the safer course of action.

Here's what really pisses me off about gun bans...

I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs. In good shape and training in martial arts. Not to mention dark skinned and sporting a goat-t. I'm not likely to be targeted by someone with bad intentions so a gun ban doesn't necessarily affect me.

But what about my girlfriend who is 5'6" and 140 pounds with no self defense training? Or my parents who are in their 60's and have a decent amount of money? Or the little old lady from DC who lives on social security so she can't live anywhere but the ghetto? Gun bans only make these folks more likely to be victims, not less.

Exactly.

(pics courtesy of Oleg Volk)
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Prove your assertion.

To me, it's like an AAD.

If you get an AAD and do not make any changes in what you are doing, it's likely to make you safer. If you get an AAD so you can make more dangerous jumps, it is making you less safe.

Likewise, if you get a gun so you can feel safer in a neighborhood you are considering, or can be out later at night, or can remain at an ATM when someone questionable comes walking up to you - it is making you less safe.

A gun can surely help you win a gun battle. The gun battle avoided is by far the safer course of action.

Agreed, and well said.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Do you have any data to back up your statement that having a gun is more likely to get you killed? Not many armed robbers or rapists take the time to practice, get training, or actually learn how to use the firearm they possess (probably illegally).

I think you will find that the facts are quite the opposite and all you need to do is do a little reading and research.

A little reading never hurt anyone:
arstechnica.com/journals/science.ars/2007/1/12/6601

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Do you have any data to back up your statement that having a gun is more likely to get you killed? Not many armed robbers or rapists take the time to practice, get training, or actually learn how to use the firearm they possess (probably illegally).

I think you will find that the facts are quite the opposite and all you need to do is do a little reading and research.

Isn't this the same info you used for your "scatter chart" post that I showed was complete bullshit?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

"The authors are careful as to what conclusions they can draw from this work. They stress that this work does not establish a "causal relationship between guns and homicide", stating that this could be a case of "reverse causation"—that there are a higher number of households with guns because of an already high homicide rate."

So what was your point, exactly?

(yes, silly question to ask given his history)

So what, specifically, are you saying the pro gun folks are afraid of?

A situation where you would have to use a gun!

In my 33 years of living I have never been close to needing a gun, If you live in constant fear of needing to use one..... you live in the wrong place.

In 29 years of living, I've never needed a seat belt either... but I still wear it.

I believe i would encourage them to purchase a semi automatic hand gun, become proficient with it. Then obtain a CCL, problem solved. After all, i don't know how you feel, but i'd personally rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Some body messes with my family, my property, or puts my life or property, or my neighbors life or property in emminent danger, i would have no problem sending them straight to hell.

Sound hard? Hmph, well it's sad but true, it's a hard world. If you don't have a gun, get one, if you have one, buy another. Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Some body messes with my family, my property, or puts my life or property, or my neighbors life or property in emminent danger, i would have no problem sending them straight to hell.

Well, here's an illustration of part of the problem....normally, you're not allowed to defend property with lethal force. Yet, here is someone who seems willing to use said lethal force for such an occasion, or when someone "messes" with him or his family.

I don't have a problem with the defense of life part.

>Some body messes with my family, my property, or puts my life
>or property, or my neighbors life or property in emminent danger, i
>would have no problem sending them straight to hell.

Likewise, should you shoot a teenager who is smashing mailboxes in your neighborhood, a jury will have no problem sending you straight to jail.

Most people are against government interference unless they understand that it is for your own good.
Relax, I am sure that they know what is best for you.
;)

I can remember the good ol' days when my uncle was a DC park police member. Riots about 3 days a week.
Cars overturned and burned to stop the police from intervening while they were looting houses.
I think they were protesting the lack of police protection and low cost insurance. :D:D

DC has always been a place where laws are enacted, against the will of the people, by people who refuse to live there because of the crime problem.
:D

What idiots.

Isn't this the same info you used for your "scatter chart" post that I showed was complete bullshit?

No, you did nothing of the sort. You just made an unsupported claim.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.