JohnRich

Washington, D.C. Banning Guns Again

So what, specifically, are you saying the pro gun folks are afraid of?

A situation where you would have to use a gun!

In my 33 years of living I have never been close to needing a gun, If you live in constant fear of needing to use one..... you live in the wrong place.

Having a gun to defend yourself against a criminal is preparation, not fear. Or do people have home insurance, fire extinguishers, seatbelts and reserve canopies out of 'fear'?

Whoooo-eee!

Good one, sir! :)
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

What was needed, IMHO, was not a general ban, but a more careful, thorough, and strictly enforced screening process to make it (much more) difficult for the mentally ill to obtain firearms.

....to speak in public

....to have children

....to vote

...To establish a church or religious order

It truly is amazing to see people offer up 2nd Amendment rights for sacrifice as though they are not aware that doing so clearly opens the door to the same being done for the rights they don'thave contempt for. :S
Imaginations on fire

What was needed, IMHO, was not a general ban, but a more careful, thorough, and strictly enforced screening process to make it (much more) difficult for the mentally ill to obtain firearms.

....to speak in public

....to have children

....to vote

I don't think any of those activities have led to mass murder.

The first one on your list got Hitler's views popularized...

The second one provided kids for the Hitler Youth.

The third one got him elected... :S
Imaginations on fire

Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.

he wants to take your guns

Damn straight.

Now I have to wake my brother up to that fact.

But then, since he voluntarily moved from FL to MA, I doubt there's much hope...

Of course, I benefit from the fact that he had to leave his guns with me...

...But wait, if Obama gets elected, my right to keep them will be that much more endangered. Ugh! B|

Well, at least we'll get some damned good entertainment out of watching that lying piece of dung try to convince gun-rights voters that he's a duck hunter, or something.

Just wait until we're closer to the election, and his REAL record on guns gets trotted out before the public. It'll happen, and it's going to cost him like the AWB cost the Dumbocrats Congress in '94.
Imaginations on fire

In Florida (not sure of other states) once a felon has "paid his debt to society" his gun and voting rights are restored.
So felons CAN (and do) legally posess weapons.

You ought to check into that. I am not under the impression that the right to own a gun is automatically restored to felons in Florida. I think we only recently passed a law that automatically restores felons' right to vote. (I don't really favor it; I think felons who want their rights back should have to work their asses off in some way to get them back by request.)

But we consistently read about people charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. If their rights were restored automatically, why would that be?

No, I think they have to petition the governor's office for restoration of their gun rights, and I doubt it's just a rubber-stamp scenario that plays out then.
Imaginations on fire

In Florida (not sure of other states) once a felon has "paid his debt to society" his gun and voting rights are restored.
So felons CAN (and do) legally posess weapons.

Some info>https://fpc.state.fl.us/Clemency.htm Best have lots of money to hire the best lawyer to suck the Gov's dick. ;)

Sure, all they gotta do is go out and use a gun they obtained illegally and commit a violent fel... wait a minute...! :S
Imaginations on fire

You're correct. That's what I get for believing the press on this one....
This one was all over the news and papers in an effort to generate publicity apparently.

Rights autmatically restored: to vote, serve on a jury, run for public office or apply for a professional license.
The list of automatically granted rights does not include gun ownership. Felons still must apply for that on a case-by-case basis.

So long as you're not a violent felon, it appears this one is fairly easy to regain though.

thanks for prompting me to research it!

You're correct. That's what I get for believing the press on this one....
This one was all over the news and papers in an effort to generate publicity apparently.

Rights autmatically restored: to vote, serve on a jury, run for public office or apply for a professional license.
The list of automatically granted rights does not include gun ownership. Felons still must apply for that on a case-by-case basis.

So long as you're not a violent felon, it appears this one is fairly easy to regain though.

thanks for prompting me to research it!

Well, I appreciate your willingness to check up on yourself and correct yourself when necessary.

I hope this is a lesson to you about trusting mainstream media to give you the straight story when it comes to guns. These are the people who refer to AR-15s as "assault weapons" in direct contradiction of the Department of Defense's own applied definition. There's precious little you can trust the media for -- but the fact that they lie about anything means you can't trust them for anything.
Imaginations on fire

Fully agreed. I am that way about most gun legislation - I realize it is imperative to stay on top of the details.....but given that I wasn't personally in need of having any rights restored...I didn't really keep up with that bit of legislation.
Much like most of us and the legal system....usually no need for it and therefore very little understanding and appreciation of the intricacies.

I do try to keep up most of the time!

Update:
Chicago continues to enforce gun ban

Chicago Police will continue to enforce the city's handgun ban and firearm registration laws while lawyers fight the pro-gun lobby in federal court.

The National Rifle Association and the Illinois State Rifle Association filed federal lawsuits to shoot down Chicago's gun laws after the U.S. Supreme Court voided the District of Columbia's handgun ban last month.

City Corporation Counsel Mara Georges told a City Council committee Thursday that she's prepared to fight those lawsuits all the way to the Supreme Court. "Chicago's gun ordinance was not invalidated by the . . . decision. Three prior Supreme Court decisions have found that the Second Amendment does not apply to states and municipalities," Georges said...
Source: Sun-Times

Yeah, the Bill of Rights only applies to Federal territory, and the States and Cities can do just do any darned thing they want regardless of that pesky Constitution. Uh-huh...

To the citizens of Chicago - it's too bad that your mayor thinks that, unlike the entire remainder of the country, that you are incapable of being trusted to safely own firearms.

My first reaction was to say "I can't believe they would claim this garbage." Then I remembered who we are talking about here. I'm disgusted, but not surprised.

I don't think the Justices could've been a whole lot clearer that they considered the second incorporated through the 14th. At no point did they say anything about limiting the protection to federal properties/jurisdicitons.

(google selective incorporation if you don't know what I'm talking about)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

First Washington, D.C.
Then Wilmette, IL.
And now Morton Grove, IL, and Evanston, IL.

"The country's first handgun ban is about to become history. Morton Grove will drop its 1981 ordinance at a village board meeting Monday."
Source: Chicago Public Radio

"Morton Grove, which was the first town in the country to institute a handgun ban, will rescind the measure next week. Evanston plans to repeal its ban Monday, and so does the village of Morton Grove, which passed the first ban in the country 27 years ago."
Source: ABC7

Never fear, though, as Chicago's Mayor Daley promises to fight to keep his gun ban. He'll spend millions of dollars of taxpayer money to try and keep those same taxpayers from enjoying the same constitutional rights as the rest of the country.

The city fathers of Kennesaw, Georgia, should send a basket of goodies to the town council of Morton Grove with a polite but sarcastic card saying something like, "Ah, we see you've finally come around. How was it, enduring all of those high crime years while we had nearly none?" :ph34r:

Imaginations on fire

The city fathers of Kennesaw, Georgia, should send a basket of goodies to the town council of Morton Grove with a polite but sarcastic card saying something like, "Ah, we see you've finally come around. How was it, enduring all of those high crime years while we had nearly none?" :ph34r:

To which the town council of Morton Grove would reply "We had no idea you guys in Georgia could read or write".

Washington, D.C.
Wilmette, IL
Morton Grove, IL

And now we can add another one to the list of cities which have reversed their gun bans:
Evanston amends its gun-ban law

Following on the heels of a Supreme Court decision that held that a blanket ban on handguns violated 2nd Amendment rights, Evanston's City Council voted 7-1 Monday night to amend the North Shore suburb's weapons ordinance to conform to the landmark court ruling.

Council members believe the move will allow the city to avoid a potential court challenge.

"I find the Supreme Court decision repugnant," said Ald. Steve Bernstein (4th). "But because of it, it's the law. In the short term, we'll be better off getting [the ordinance] off the books."

City Council members said Monday they saw no alternative but to amend Evanston's law to bring it into line with the high-court ruling.
Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-evanston-gunaug12,0,7386423.story

Now it's time for Chicago to respect the Constitution and do the same.

Update:
"(The D.C.) council voted without debate to end storage requirements for firearms and permit ownership of semiautomatic handguns..."
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/16/AR2008091602223.html

Has the D.C. city council finally seen the light?

Not really. They're just making concessions to try and ward off loss of gun control authority at the city level, by a Bill in the House which would strip them of that power.

But whatever their motive, it's still a win for their citizens and gun owners.

Semi-auto pistols should no longer be classified as "machine guns" simply because they load from the bottom, and therefore be deemed illegal. That was a ridiculous definition to start with, and it deserved to die.

We're, still good in our state (for now).

I just picked up my old shotgun (Remington 870- 12ga. two barrels)

and also 3 more items to collect later:

a little 22 Remington for my daughter (still in the box - maybe I'll keep this and give her my old bolt action 22 instead.....)
an older Smith and Wesson Six shooter - the Colt 45 was already claimed
and a real nice piece - Model 71 repeater - 358 ga rifle - the model 70/270 was already sold

these will be fun to own and shoot

what's sad is there are so many areas where I'd be considered a horrible criminal for just being happy to have a couple of these guns that represent some real history - or the other 'normal' guns for that matter

Dad has a few pre 1900 Winchesters, I'd love to have one, but the other siblings have already claimed them [:/]

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants