JohnRich

Washington, D.C. Banning Guns Again

Much like the SBS that my friend owns.

It is LEGAL in all 50 states regardless of laws against having a short barreled or "Sawed off" shotgun as non gun enthusiasts like to call them.

It was made long before there was ever a law governing them, and has no serial numbers.

here is a picture.

It was chromed a long time ago, but still looks pretty damned good.

Since I know hippies hate people who love guns I figure you are gonna really hate me. My family has 2 safes full of guns, one holds 32 and the other holds 20. Why yes I am bragging to anyone that tries to come along and point it out, and yes I am a spoiled rich kid so blow me. The supreme court ruled we can have guns, they are the law. Quit crying, they are here to stay. Now if you will excuse me I am going to clean my Beretta 92f which holds 15 rounds. Here is something to really get you steamed, I shot a deer at 20 yards with a 7mm magnum (big round for NA game) It picked it up and threw it five feet before it hit the ground stone dead. Eat me hippies.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Under Federal law, an old enough Mauser C96 isn't even considered a firearm. If the design and metalurgy allow you could even rebarrel it in a more modern caliber without changing its status as an antique (A friend has a model 1892 Mauser which left the factory some time between 1894 and '97 but was redone in the modern 8mm caliber for WWII). Your favorite courier company can deliver one to your doorstep.

That doesn't sound correct to me. An antique firearm (not talking about muzzle loaders here) is still a firearm, and the interstate transfer rules apply, requiring the transaction to go through a licensed firearm dealer.

I have a Curio and Relic license from the BATF which allows me to have antique firearms shipped directly to my door. And I don't think you can do that without the license - otherwise there would be no point to having such a licensing system.

Under Federal law, an old enough Mauser C96 isn't even considered a firearm. If the design and metalurgy allow you could even rebarrel it in a more modern caliber without changing its status as an antique (A friend has a model 1892 Mauser which left the factory some time between 1894 and '97 but was redone in the modern 8mm caliber for WWII). Your favorite courier company can deliver one to your doorstep.

That doesn't sound correct to me. An antique firearm (not talking about muzzle loaders here) is still a firearm, and the interstate transfer rules apply, requiring the transaction to go through a licensed firearm dealer.

Nope. There's a big difference between antiques and curios & relics apart from the 50 year difference in age.

18 USC 921 (a)(3)(D) defines the term "firearm" as excluding "antique firearms"

18 USC 921 (a)(16)(A) defines an antique firearm to include any firearm manufactured in or before 1898. Sub (B) adds replicas that don't fire modern cartridges and (C) adds muzzle loaders.

As far as the feds are concerned for criminal law purposes (tax law has its own treatment of firearms; I don't know where antiques fall there) there isn't a difference between an old Mauser rebarelled in your favorite hunting caliber and replica Hawkins muzzle loader.

Curios and relics are firearms that are at least 50 years of age or of other significant collectable interest/value.

I have a Curio and Relic license from the BATF which allows me to have antique firearms shipped directly to my door. And I don't think you can do that without the license - otherwise there would be no point to having such a licensing system.

John Moses Browning didn't do his best work until the 20th century, the US military didn't get a good rifle prior to the model 1903, lots of neat guns got built just in time for WWII....

There are plenty of reasons to have a C&R license.

All right, you know your stuff, and that explains my confusion with your post. Many people consider firearms older than 50 years old to be antique. But since that's not what you're talking about, you were correct. As long as it was manufactured prior to 1898, you can buy them direct to your door. That's the key date.

However, even though some of those fired "modern" centerfire cartridges, owners should NOT put modern ammo in them. Those were mostly black powder cartridges back then, and those guns are not built to withstand the pressures produced by modern ammo.

So, while you can buy them, if you want to shoot them, you have to get or make some specialty ammo to feed them.

And yes, a Curio & Relic license allows you to purchase all kinds of neat historical military surplus firearms. Like the 1944 Moison-Nagant from Finland I shot in a 300-yard match this morning.

Update:
Wilmette Expected To Repeal Handgun Ban

The village board in north suburban Wilmette (near Chicago) Tuesday is expected to repeal the community's handgun ban.

The ban has not been enforced since last month's U.s. Supreme court ruling affirming individual gun ownership rights under the Second Amendment.

Repeal of the 19-year-old ban is being done quietly, in stark contrast to the intense debate that marked its 1989 passage and subsequent enforcement...
Source: WBBM

It's spreading!

Poor Mayor Daley is beside himself trying to figure out what to do about his own ill-fated handgun ban.

Update:

Wilmette Expected To Repeal Handgun Ban

The village board in north suburban Wilmette (near Chicago) Tuesday is expected to repeal the community's handgun ban.

The ban has not been enforced since last month's U.s. Supreme court ruling affirming individual gun ownership rights under the Second Amendment.

Repeal of the 19-year-old ban is being done quietly, in stark contrast to the intense debate that marked its 1989 passage and subsequent enforcement...

It's spreading!

Poor Mayor Daley is beside himself trying to figure out what to do about his own ill-fated handgun ban.

And how will he justify his continued ban on a class of weapons that may actually have more of a usage in home defense, and in defense of our nation in a militia type role?

> Finally, they are understanding that taking away anyones civil rights, is
>never the answer.

Unless it's a civil right you disagree with, like, say, the rights guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment. It seemed like only yesterday you were OK with violations of your right to privacy. Just a little, of course, "in order to remain a free, democratic nation."

Pot, meet kettle.

>never the answer.

Unless it's a civil right you disagree with, like, say, the rights guaranteed by the Fourth Amendment. It seemed like only yesterday you were OK with violations of your right to privacy. Just a little, of course, "in order to remain a free, democratic nation."

Pot, meet kettle.

I think you are remiss this time in your recollection, I think the patriot act was a bad idea.

>never the answer.

Pot, meet kettle.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2707313;search_string=patriot%20act;#2707313

So does that happen often? Getting involved in shootouts?

Thankfully, not often at all. Unfortunately, when you need that option, you need it RIGHT THEN. I've never heard of a robber or rapist saying "Sure, I'll wait while you unlock the cabinet and get the ammunition, then unlock the safe and get your shotgun - no problem!"

Should you deinstall the seatbelt and airbags in your vehicle, because you've never had an accident?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

News:
Wilmette Handgun Ban Dead

The village board voted Tuesday night 7-0 to repeal the 19-year-old ban, following 45 minutes of discussion and public comment.

The ordinance has not been enforced since last month's U.S. Supreme Court ruling affirming individual gun ownership rights in the case of the District of Columbia vs. Heller.

Nonetheless, Village President Christopher Canning said village attorney Timothy Frenzer feared legal action by opponents of the ban if it were to remain on the books.

“The Village of Wilmette ordinance, as it is drafted and on the books today, would not withstand constitutional scrutiny, and therefore should be repealed,” Canning said. “That has to go.”

News:

Wilmette Handgun Ban Dead

The village board voted Tuesday night 7-0 to repeal the 19-year-old ban, following 45 minutes of discussion and public comment.

The ordinance has not been enforced since last month's U.S. Supreme Court ruling affirming individual gun ownership rights in the case of the District of Columbia vs. Heller.

Nonetheless, Village President Christopher Canning said village attorney Timothy Frenzer feared legal action by opponents of the ban if it were to remain on the books.

“The Village of Wilmette ordinance, as it is drafted and on the books today, would not withstand constitutional scrutiny, and therefore should be repealed,” Canning said. “That has to go.”

The Wilmette ban came after a woman, Laurie Dann, went on a shooting spree in a neighborhood school, killing a bunch of children. SHe had a long history of mental illness.

What was needed, IMHO, was not a general ban, but a more careful, thorough, and strictly enforced screening process to make it (much more) difficult for the mentally ill to obtain firearms.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Please provide us with a list of what you deem "Mental Illnesses" that are sufficient enough reason, to remove the second amendment rights from said individuals.

And who would determine the need to do so, or make a report?

Do you think you at risk, then?

I'm told by reliable sources that, for example, Texas has a very good system for identifying people who shouldn't have a CCW permit.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.