freethefly

11 point, 225 pound Buck!!!

Shot him at just past 9 on openning day. He came within 3 to 5 yards before he noticed me in the brush. He turned and ran about 20 yards then swung back and bolted up the rise in a pasture. 2 shots to get. The first entered above the shoulder on the rightside. He dropped and immediatly got back up and started to go to his left and up the rise again. The second shot entered at the same location but, on the leftside. The round traveled up his neck and slammed into the bottom of the skull cap. It cracked the cap, busted the bottom of one antler and then came to rest under the hide on his nose. Both shots were at near 50 yards. Winchester Model of 1917 30-06. Oddly this deer dropped just yards from where I dropped a doe last year.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Nice, one shot would of been better:P

So I see venison on the menu, Make some sausages with wild mushrooms added to the mince,

Where I am Deer are in short supply due to the hot summer an lack of rainfall, they've nearly all moved to higher
ground where I don't have permission to shoot.
on the plus side we still have plenty of wild boar;)

Gone fishing

how fucking nice>:( I've been avoiding this forum like the fucking flu and this gets bounced into this worthless fucking forum.

Yup you used a gun, and that's off limits.

/sigh

Yep....the humane thing to do is to run 'em down and beat 'em to death. :S
"T'was ever thus."

how fucking nice>:( I've been avoiding this forum like the fucking flu and this gets bounced into this worthless fucking forum.

See? If you had used a bow and arrow, it would still be in the Bonfire.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Yeah. This is about the point where I ask what weapon ol' Buck used to return fire and somebody calls me a Communist.

Shot him at just past 9 on openning day...

Shit, and he was armed also, with a weapon identical to yours...Did he get a shot off before you downed him?
Ostriches and rheas are the only birds that urinate and defecate separately. They read Parachutist while doing #2.

What part of the country do you hunt?

Southwest Missouri Ozarks
We typically don't see very large deer in these parts due to lack of crops. These deer feed on acorns and clover.
Neil Young

Well you deserve the flack for taking a nice firearm representing military history, and chopping it up to sporterize it!

Just kidding... ;)

Nice buck.

And I assume you are a vegetarian???
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

beautiful deer, i'm jealous. i take the first legal deer i find, so its unlikely i'll get anything big like that unless i draw a tag. my deer this year was a mercy killing. i actually went fly fishing, but there were no fish biting. i gave up fishing and was on my way home. the road follows the river for a few miles. i came around a bend and saw a guy running through the river to pull his dog off of a deer. it was a small spike laying in the river. the guy pulled his dog to the opposite shore and was yelling at his dog when i asked him if the deer was alive. he said yes but it was gut shot. he asked if i had a rifle and if i wanted to shoot him since he only had a shot gun. i said yes, grabbed my gun and started wading out to the deer. i expected to put the deer down and the other guy would take it, but he took his dog and left. as it turned out, he was shot just above a rear knee. my guess is that the guy was bird hunting and his dog came across this wounded deer chased it into the river. the guy was absolutely irate and he may have been embarrassed that someone saw his tyrade and that may be why he didn't stick around. at least my tag got filled and there's meat in the freezer.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Nothing to be proud of. No skill involved.

That is a faily nice buck....

and to someone who hunts and develops the skills to do so....it is something that a hunter can be proud of...

Now if you are a bleedin heart PETA ill smelling vegatarian..... then I guess there is no way to explain that fact to.

By the way I have been a long time member of P.E.T.A

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Well you deserve the flack for taking a nice firearm representing military history, and chopping it up to sporterize it!

Just kidding... ;)

Nice buck.

Thanks John. The rifle was probably sporterized not long after WW1. From an arms collector website, Springfield Research, I found that it was manufactured in Jan. 1919 and never saw combat. It went to a base in New Jersey and disappeared from there. Most likely a soldier took it as many of the 1917's were being sold to surplus or shipped overseas. Many of the soldiers returning also kept theirs and sporterized it. Harry S. Truman was one of them. He hunted his whole life with his.
I bought mine in 1987 at a gunshop in Indiana. I paid around $150.00 for it. A few years ago I took it to the gunsmith at Bass Pro shop over in Springfield. He valued it at more than $1000.00.
I've seen a couple of them with the same stock. One guy rtold me the stock was from the early 20's to early 30's. The same with the sights. Most likely was a kit sold by someone to sporterize military weapons.
Neil Young

And I assume you are a vegetarian???

Uhhhhm...no.
I have been known to consume a herbivore or two.
Neil Young