freethefly

11 point, 225 pound Buck!!!

Nice, one shot would of been better:P

So I see venison on the menu, Make some sausages with wild mushrooms added to the mince,

Where I am Deer are in short supply due to the hot summer an lack of rainfall, they've nearly all moved to higher
ground where I don't have permission to shoot.
on the plus side we still have plenty of wild boar;)

That's too bad. You should take a hunting vacation in this direction where the deer are thicker than squirrels. They are a major road hazard. I average about 3 or 4 close calls per week, and have 3 strikes in our 11 years out here in the boonies.

I don't hunt, but have a sweet deal with a group that I allow on our land. Every fall they bring me a grocery bag of meat. I told them a few days ago they could keep all the rest and just fill the bag with the venison jalapeno cheddar sausage.

It is yummier than words can describe. Or was that a description?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

They are a major road hazard. I average about 3 or 4 close calls per week, and have 3 strikes in our 11 years out here in the boonies.

or he can come up and just come into the metro area and find them inside the beltway rummaging in dumpsters and backyards. Stupid (tasty) big rats are what they are.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

He came within 3 to 5 yards before he noticed me in the brush.

Props for not having using the deerstand over the corn feeder like most "hunters".

BTW-Why didn't you shoot him when he was close?

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

Can one hunt deer with claymore mines?

One *can*, but it doesn't leave much for the stewpot...

hehehe >:(

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

He came within 3 to 5 yards before he noticed me in the brush.

Props for not having using the deerstand over the corn feeder like most "hunters".

BTW-Why didn't you shoot him when he was close?

I didn't know he was coming up in back of me until he grunted. The area he was coming thruogh was very thick with brush and trees. I was set up to watch the treelines and the pasture. He came up alongside of me and stopped and then stuck his head into the brush I was in. That was when he noticed me. Had i tried to get a shot off before, he would had bolted back into the brush and trees the split second I would had moved. I was waiting for the clean shot as he would had stepped right in front of my rifle had he not noticed me.
Spent all day from 5am till near 5pm back up in the hills. Even though rubs and droppings were plenty, not one deer did i see.[:/]
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Take a walk through the woods and find one.

My walk in the woods puts me in the Virginia countryside and the numbers are very high. If you don't see deer then it's the exception to the norm. Just to the West in WV the game wardens turn a blind eye on poaching. On some days I've seen larger herds (yes, herds) of deer than cows.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Nice buck! I like the rifle too.

Have you ever hunted with a scope? Just wondering why you don't care for them....

Thank you.
I've used scopes in the past and they are fine if the deer isn't moving fast. Open sights are far better when the deer is twisting and turning. Also my Winchester is 88 years old and putting a scope on it would be a sin:). That and drilling into her to mount a scope would bring the value down. Not that I am really concerned about the value as I never plan on selling her.
Will be back in the hills come saturday morning to fill this doe tag and then again in december for the doe only hunt.
Neil Young

I suppose it all boils down to the type of hunting you do. I seldom take a running shot. Most of my hunting is in fairly open country. For longer shots, I really like a scope.

I sometimes worry about a scope failing though. A scope is something that can break. Over the years I've had one scope fog up so bad that it was useless. Another scope was worthless after my rifle fell over and bent the front bell down.

I worry about ruining a good hunt because my scope goes bad. That's why I have iron sights on all my hunting rifles. They are sighted in before I put a scope on. If my scope did go bad I could loosen a windage screw on my Leupold "back" mount, and twist the scope off. So far I've never needed to do that, but I like having that option.

I know most hunters like having a clean barrel without iron sights, but each to their own.

We'll be taking a jet boat up the Missouri River tomorrow, in search of White Tail and Mulies. My wife gets to shoot the first one. I'll post the pictures if we get lucky....

Man, I live for the day when I can bag a Mule deer. Nothing but white tail down here. The buck I got last saturday is the biggest I've seen up on the land we hunt.
If I ever get around to it, I'd like to buy a .270 and equip it with a scope. My brother uses a .270 with a dawn to dusk scope. Open sights suck at sunrise and sunset.
Neil Young

They are a major road hazard. I average about 3 or 4 close calls per week, and have 3 strikes in our 11 years out here in the boonies.

or he can come up and just come into the metro area and find them inside the beltway rummaging in dumpsters and backyards. Stupid (tasty) big rats are what they are.

Didn't they have a hunt inside the metro area a couple years ago. I thought I remember hearing on the radio that they were giving special permits because the numbers were really making them a nuisance. Shot gun only, unlimited does and 1 buck, or something like that.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Man, I live for the day when I can bag a Mule deer. Nothing but white tail down here. The buck I got last saturday is the biggest I've seen up on the land we hunt.
If I ever get around to it, I'd like to buy a .270 and equip it with a scope. My brother uses a .270 with a dawn to dusk scope. Open sights suck at sunrise and sunset.[/reply

I love 270's. My wife and I both have one. She'll probably be packing her shorter barrelled 243 tomorrow. If It's a long shot I'll let her use my 270 and bipod....I used a 30/06 for years though. It's really a great gun too....

.243 is accurate but the bullets are kind of light for large deer.

The ideal bullet weight for deer is 120-150 grains.

The idea being to have the bullet generate at least 1000ft/lbs of force at range.

.243win will kill, but unless a CNS hit occurs you may have to track them some.

Bullets in the 100grain class don't generate that much force by comparison.

Hey you can use a .22 rimfire, just don't use a heart/lung shot.

It is all about fragmenting mass, and tissue damage resulting in shock, otherwise it is a damned arrow with a field point type of wound.

We've shot a ton of deer and antelope with a 243. I used to load 85 grain, solid base, Nosler bullets. I don't think they are made any more. I usually load Nosler Ballistic Tip in around 90 grain bullets now.

It's been my experience, that a deer will die just as quickly (when hit through the lungs) as one hit with a 270 or 30/06 with a much heavier bullet. I know this is debatable, but that is my opinion. I think they are a great deer cartridge.

I've also shot some antelope and a few deer with a 22/250. This is in my mind is a terrible round to use on deer sized game.. The bullet just isn't big enough. It's also affected greatly by wind. There's always a lot of wind here in Eastern Montana.

My wife shoots a model 7 Remington 243 in around a 20 inch, (Possibly shorter) barrel. It drops quite a bit more than the 270 at longer ranges. So for a longer shot, (at three to four hundred yards), she will use the 270......

I know there are better cartridges for deer than a 243. It is on the light side of things. But there are other things to consider.

Most people don't shoot a gun that kicks like a mule and sounds like a cannon very accurately.

My wife likes her little 243 because it doesn't kick much, isn't too noisy, and it's short barrel makes it easier for her to pack around and handle. She's used this for 25 years now. For elk she uses a 30/06....

Most people don't shoot a gun that kicks like a mule and sounds like a cannon very accurately.

I understand, that .270win you have is very capable of taking every game animal in North America, and most of the world.

There was one man who was quite famous for doing exactly that, every game species on the planet with a .270win

It takes a magnum cartridge to out perform a .270win, and there arent many that shoot flatter or faster.

The .270win is blessed with low recoil and a wide range of bullets to select from.

My favorite in that caliber is a 130grain BT, either Nosler or Hornady.

BTW you could always re-barrel that .243win when the time comes and change to a .260rem which is an awesome round and should won't even notice any difference except it's performance.

.260rem has got to be the most overlooked and underestimated chambering around.

I understand, that .270win you have is very capable of taking every game animal in North America, and most of the world.

There was one man who was quite famous for doing exactly that, every game species on the planet with a .270win

It takes a magnum cartridge to out perform a .270win, and there arent many that shoot flatter or faster.

The .270win is blessed with low recoil and a wide range of bullets to select from.

My favorite in that caliber is a 130grain BT, either Nosler or Hornady.

BTW you could always re-barrel that .243win when the time comes and change to a .260rem which is an awesome round and should won't even notice any difference except it's performance.

.260rem has got to be the most overlooked and underestimated chambering around.

Growing up, Jack O'connor was my hero. I'd read every one of his stories with reverance. His greatest love was hunting MTN. sheep with his pet 270. He even killed Grizzly with his 270.

I agree, the 270 with 130 grain bullets is a great combination. I've even shot elk with that load.

I wouldn't mind putting a longer barrel on the wife's rifle. Thanks for the good idea....

You are quite welcome, if I can help you in any way in the future give me a yell.

If you want a bbl spec'd out for that rilfe let me know.

Something in a "Boots Obermeyer" rifling?B|
A 20" bbl chambered in .260rem, and she will have a very loooong range rifle that is easy to handle and of course outstanding at much closer ranges.B|
Best of all is no new bolt needed or mags, unless of course the bolt is worn excessively.

Just a remove/replace and headspace check and you are in business!