prepheckt

What do you think about under canopy?

under canopy?

i open with hands on my rear risers, look around, collapse my slider (since I can reach it now with shorter risers!!!!), find the DZ, try to get closer to it i needs be then play until about 800 when i'll start a downwind leg. i usually laugh when i flare, which is why i often land on my feet then fall over. i don't know why, i just laugh.

I do what most of seem to do.....collapse slider, controllability check, check airspace, plan flight....

I also usually take a minute to look around at the beauty of the world. I am thankful that I am able to participate in this amazing sport. Sometimes I even feel sorry for those people who never view the world from that perspective, who never fly, who never experience the beauty and silence of canopy flight.

Anne

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

my mind is constantly processing thoughts, not that i'm not having fun, but my head is on a constant swivel, canopy awareness (russian radar) traffic, then finally setting up for final, and always remind myself the sky dive is not over until i'm landed safely. i have a lot of fun, but i never let my guard down..ever.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I'm in the same pool as you jessica.

It takes me 20 mins to hit the ground from 3000. It really gets on my nerves. I start to think at around 2900 feet what am I going to have for dinner?

I wonder if the beer light will be on when I hit the ground?

then I start getting really creative.

The beach is only 5km from here I wonder if the would make the drive over to get me if I landed there.

My boss has a cabin in Gimili and she is always saying I should DROP in on the weekends to say hi.

What would I really do and how would I respond if I suddenly fell out of this harness.

Pretty much anything under the canopy uumm I mean SUN

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

after opening and controllability check I only have two words I say all the ride down: "Oh shit! oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!" then " going to fast, falling to quickly, WERE IS THE DZ????? oh shit oh shit oh shit".

See, that's what I'm afraid of.....not learning how to fly/land this thing!:S How will I ever land it, safely!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

As soon as my canopy opens pretty, I steer clear of jumprun and keep my eyes open to find the groups after me...then of course the winds, landing pattern, etc....
but the best part is looking out, breathing and the solo smile covers my face while saying thank you...this gives me what I need to use my wings...and then the 2nd part of the skydive starts...you merge with your canopy, and just fly, baby, fly!!!:ph34r:

How will I ever land it, safely!

Girlfriend, I've done it 900 times and I was freakin' hopeless at canopy control as a student and I'm only a bit better than hopeless now. If I can do it.... ;)

Oh, I'm kind of sure I could do it, at least TRY, h*ll, I proved to myself I can jump out of an airplane (notice I didn't say a perfectly good airplane!). I just jumped again on Saturday, and it was freaking fun:D:S:D! I just had the greatest TM.

But, I doubt you are hopeless on landings!

Right now I'm reading "Parachuting, the skydivers handbook" and I plan on reading more than once because I thoroughly want to understand all the terminolgy, you know, upwind, downwind, etc. I will be prepared!

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

find the dz, check wind indicators,

forgot about that one didn't ya prephect on that downwinder that's become infamous at the dz...

I've done it 900 times and I was freakin' hopeless at canopy control as a student and I'm only a bit better than hopeless now.

lisa, i see why ya asked me if anyone got my landing on video at wffc...you wanted to see the canopy landed nicely....j/k.....thanks again...

usually i just think about the task at hand. Unless i am on a sunset load then i just enjoy the sunset and look around. As soon as i get my hands on a more comfy rig I would like to do a cross crountry. The student rigs start to make my legs tingle after only a 2500-3000 foot canopy ride.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Everything about how it flys. Make sure my brake lines are untwisted. I either do barrel rolls or riser games. Always looking for traffic and the evil dust devils. Sometimes I float in rears and try to maintain altitude for as long as I can. Doing braked turns and checking my ground track for winds.Being in the second 3-way out of a full otter last week, I was in light lift for long enough for everybody else on the load to be on the ground before being at my 1000' key point and turning my full attention to landing. Do you Soar? Glen.

First I think, "It's big, it's square and it supports life. Thank f**k for that."
Then I think about the possibility of the harness failing, like in the beginning of the film Cliffhanger.
Then I look at the ground and think, "All things being equal I'd rather be at another dropzone. Shropshire, England doesn't exactly have the most exciting of views from 4500ft ! It's very flat with just different shades of green squares as far as the eye can see. It's like looking down at an unfasionable patchwork quilt. It's how I would imagine Iowa would look like.
Then I think about how painful it was when I broke my leg playing soccer a couple of years ago, and how I don't want it to happen again. That focuses my concentraion on getting the landing right.
Finally, when I'm down, I think about how long the walk back to the centre is....
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

My dad (a retired skydiver) taught me something that I think to my self on a regular basis under canopy. It is an old Navy prayer that goes like this, "Oh please God, don't let me fuck up!"

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle