prepheckt

What do you think about under canopy?

(Slider comes down)

1. Check canopy traffic while collapsing slider and loosen chest strap.

2. Harness turn, spot distance to planned point of swoop. Release brakes.

3. Depending on things either a) turn and burn or
b) chase friends around pinning them; CRW stuff
c) tweak rear risers for a long spot

The only real 'thoughts' I have under canopy, "Who can I play with?" and landing "time to make the riser turn... Now!"

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

*deploy*
Oh, thank God! It worked!
*looking around for other canopies*
*controllability check*
OK, there's the DZ....
Dum de doo...la la la....
*checking alti*
*spirals*
*checking alti*
Crap, didn't lose any altitude....
*watching all the other canopies land, even the students*
*getting graduate degree*
*raising family*
La la la...tum di doo....
*landing*
*locking up DZ cause everyone else has gone home*

HAHAHA...I know a girl at my DZ with these type of canopy rides all the time...if there are any thermals, you'd swear she was under a paraglider and not a Spectre 135.B|
--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

1st thing I think of is sweet opening.

2nd - where is everybody else.

3rd - which way are the ground winds. (this can take me a while to figure out sometimes)

4th. - go into the pattern to land.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Depending on what type of jump I'm doing...RW, Camera, or Bird-Man. Of these, the Wingsuit jumps have the most complex post-opening process. Goes something like: Deploy at 3500. "I'm open without twists!" :P...Unzip arm wings, look for traffic, riser or harness turn towards DZ, unzip and stow leg wing, loosen chest strap, traffic check, set up for landing, undo breaks, grab front riser loops, set up for landing, fat hook-turn, swooop! I don't really have time to look at the scenery unless I dump above 3500'. I'll do that on occassion during the sunset loads...Can't beat the scenery when you see the sun reflecting off the Gulf of Mexico.
--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

"Hey, I can see my house from here! Wait a minute, if I can see my house, the dropzone is behind me!"

if i open above 3000', i actually can see my house under canopy!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Since I fly a larger canopy I...
Check canopy, check airspace, check altimeter, look for smaller canopies and hold off flight line, enjoy the view, check altimeter, watch the smaller canopies land WELL before me!! Think how lucky I am to be doing this. How do I stay up here longer...

Well, usually in freefall I try to track straight down jump run towards the group that exited before me, cause that way I can open as close to them as possible and I don't have to chase them too far for my impromptu CRW practice (it's more fun if they're not expecting it!). So usually under canopy I'm focusing on trying to snag one of the other canopies on the first pass so I don't have to hook around for a second try. Unfortunately, I don't really have time to look out for other canopies besides the one I'm trying to dock on.

I like to keep the stack right over the runway because of the thermals. All that bouncing around is really fun, especially when my legs are hooked through someone's lines. Then typically I'll let the other dude go and try to beat the Otter down to the ground so the pilot has to go around while I drag my canopy off the asphalt. I know he gets a kick out of that - I mean, it would be so dull otherwise, just shuttling group after group of paying passengers with no rest.

Hmmm... maybe I was inspired by the Nippleboy posts. That's my humble tribute. Seriously, besides the usual shit like avoiding other people and setting up to land, I like to just hang there for a while with my arms at my sides and the toggles up in the keepers. I find it to be a pretty cool feeling.

Joe

I don't have time to read all the replies so bear with me if I am repeating the same things other people wrote.

Under canopy, I think about lots of things. You have to be pretty adept at "multi-tasking" to fly a parachute, I think. First I watch the opening (now that I have a canopy I can actually DO that with!! haha) then make sure all is the way it should be...it becomes a flow once you do it enough times. I sort of do several things at once...like making sure its square stable steerable, etc...risers look good, etc. All this time I am looking for traffic around me. I try not to get too focused on my canopy that I forget I am still flying and could hit someone, or screw up my spot by not turning the direction I want to go right away. In fact, I usually do this with risers before I even unstow the brakes.

Then, its a mixed bag of constantly assessing my situation. Where is my target? Where am I? Check my ground speed. Adjust my flight plan (which I try to always make on the ground, but sometimes forget! grr) Always working on accuracy. Looking at altimeter every minute or so...or less. hehe Also, I usually have to remind myself to BREATHE. LOL I take canopy control so seriously that its more adrenaline for me than freefall!! hehehe

By the time I am on final, its horizon, ground, look for traffic, horizon...get ready to flare, make those feet MOVE dammit!!! Don't stop running. LOL Don't hit anyone, it goes on and on.

I am definitely a LONG way from being a swooper!!!!