sangiro

Regional Forums

As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....it ain't broke...

Hey Michele,

Nothing personal but I don't subscribe to that point of view. :)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms. It's a mind-set that assumes (or hopes) that today's realities will continue tomorrow in a tidy, linear and predictable fashion. Pure fantasy. In this sort of culture, you won't find people who pro-actively take steps to solve problems as they emerge. - Colin Powell on Leadership

Obviously very militaristic because of his background but I think the leadership principle is solid. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

i like it the way it is. as a matter o ffact I think if it was segregated I may not have met some of these People(in OZ)
its fun to see all the BS from every side of the lil pond. but its easier to skip the posts you dont wanna look in then it is to look through 15 forums to see the same conversation!(just different accent)
My photos

My Videos

Keep it the way it is. I've met so many cool people from around the world here.

Best part about it - this forum proves that skydivers are skydivers ("people are people") no matter where on the globe they live. That has to be good - breaking down stereotypes and showing us that we really are "one people" and we really do live in "one world."

>Nothing personal but I don't subscribe to that point of view.

Same here. I think more like "If it ain't broke, tinker with it until it is, and then try to fix it".:P

Narcimunds suggestion with the regional flags is the best one I've heard so far. Just add a possibility to tag a post as 'regional:'. Every user could select in his profile the region(s) he wants to see regional posts from, in addition to the global posts in Talkback.

Further refining the idea: There could be a way of only showing the regional posts in talkback, some sort of simple switch for filtering... This way there'd be a way to check the regional posts from your region even if they would be buried under 3 pages of boobies/beer-posts.

Morning, HH...

Nothing personal but I don't subscribe to that point of view. [Smile]

Not taken personally at all. And cool quote. And I generally agree on that as a great position - proactivity is a vital part of how to move forward and keep things new, fresh, and working...

In this case, though, what I was noticing in the responses is a tendency to see this potential move as divisive rather than beneficial. Some responses include the words "segregation" and "cliques" and I think that feeling would be dangerous (even if it's simply a perception and not a reality). That was what was behind my "don't fix it" comment.

In this sort of culture, you won't find people who pro-actively take steps to solve problems as they emerge.

I agree that tends to apply to the general public culture. But if the skydiving culture is, as touted and generally perceived, all inclusive and welcoming, I don't see the need for regional boundaries. I do think it would tend to "lift and separate"...(obligatory boobies reference here...;)...). I guess what I mean is that I don't see it as a problem emerging, and not on the horizon, either.

Perhaps, if I understood more why you wanted it, I would be more in line with your thinking. As of right now, I think the forums work fine, and my vote stands as there's no additional catagories needed.

Hey, HH, it's your ship, and you're the captain. Run it as you see fit, makes no nevermind with me. I adore this place for the most part, and appreciate all your work in maintaining it.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Narcimunds suggestion with the regional flags is the best one I've heard so far. Just add a possibility to tag a post as 'regional:'. Every user could select in his profile the region(s) he wants to see regional posts from, in addition to the global posts in Talkback.

Further refining the idea: There could be a way of only showing the regional posts in talkback, some sort of simple switch for filtering... This way there'd be a way to check the regional posts from your region even if they would be buried under 3 pages of boobies/beer-posts.

This seems like a terrific Idea! I like to post here in Talkback and I like that I am meeting jumpers from all over the globe. Being able to see 'regional' posts would be great to easily find info on local bogies and stuff but I would still rather post for all to see and see what everyone is posting.

Just my 0.2 CND

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

You've got to hear Colin Powell speak in person sometime, he is definately one of the best speakers I've ever heard! Very intelligent man that has done a lot with his life, to say the least.

As for the forums thing, keep it together, I love my brothers and sisters that live outside of my own little world.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Erno, I think you're the only one who read my post. I guess that's what I get for writing more than 50 words.

Everyone's scared of losing their global forum even though Sangiro explained that he isn't contemplating that and I explained just one of many ways to avoid fracturing the community.

It took less than an hour for my thread on the really cool local Verboort Sausage Festival to move to page 2* and thereby die. It got 4 sexual double-entendre responses and one local who seems to be interested in coming. Any local who logs in after that hour won't know it's there. Admittedly the Festival isn't skydiving related, but it shows how things work. Unless it's about Clay, women's breasts, or major boogies, it's gone in minutes: *poof*.

How on earth can TalkBack serve everyone for everything? It can't. It's not exactly "broken" but it's sure a lot of lost opportunity.

It comes down to Sangiro's vision for dropzone.com. Does he want this to be a cacaphonous drunken party plus forums for technical questions, or does he want it to be those things PLUS a worldwide skydivers' community resource? TalkBack is a fun party, but it can't contain EVERYTHING and until there are more resources here it's all there is.

* Assuming the default value for threads-per-page.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Its just like a dropzone, or atleast the ones that I've been to. After the beer light comes on, that is. Some people are discussing gear, some safety, some are talking about the stuff they did that day, RW, FF, CReW. Some are flirting, telling dirty jokes, drinking beer. The list could go on.

That's what I love about this site, its so diverse and lively.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think the time zone thing makes a bigger difference than anything else. Last year when I was working nights at the TV station it was a lot easier to be part of the fun. But often it can seem to people who aren't in the Americas that what they post is ignored in the Talkback forum. The non-American thread is NOT exclusive, its just a nice way for those of us who are on-line at roughly the same time to keep in touch.

Will

Its just like a dropzone, or at least the ones that I've been to. After the beer light comes on, that is. Some people are discussing gear, some safety, some are talking about the stuff they did that day, RW, FF, CReW. Some are flirting, telling dirty jokes, drinking beer. The list could go on.

But the dropzone's becoming REALLY popular and the loft's too small. It was probably once big enough to contain all the conversations. But now it's so crowded that only the noisiest conversations can exist anymore. Everyone else is being drowned out.

By the way, thanks for bumping the sausage thread. Can you do that once per hour until Saturday? Thanks! :P

I like it that I get to hear what people from around the world think about the sport we love and so much more without the censorship of the media.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>Do you guys think there's any reason or need to create regional
> forums?

Honestly I don't see the point. I _see_ the people in my region on a regular basis at the DZ; a dedicated forum to talk to them would be somewhat redundant. I like the idea that on all the forums here you get input from people who jump in cold and warm climates, people who jump in the desert, the forests of Maine and at 6000 feet in Boulder.

Also, TalkBack moves so fast these days that if a posting doesn't get continual replies, it moves off the first page and is therefore dead within hours.

Therefore everyone should set defaults to show the maximum number of posts per page! Problem solved.

HH, I'd happily read any forum you provided, but I just think regional forums would move so slow it really wouldn't be worth it. I like keeping all the sloppiness in one big messy forum, personally.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Good for you. I only see my locals when I can make it in which is about once per month. Also there are about 5 other DZs within what I consider my "region".

In fact, someone from eastern Washington started a thread a few months ago about a Washington-Oregon-Idaho DZ.com get-together. What a great idea! Unfortunately it takes time to organize something like that.

Guess what happened? It died quickly when boobies and beer shoved it off page 1. End of idea. Lost opportunity. [:/]

No, I read it too. Proposed something a little less revolutionary up at the top of the thread. I like your idea, it's better than mine. DZ.com currently reminds me of rec.skydiving in the early 1990's. I hope it doesn't deteriorate with the number of people.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like the talkback forums alot I get to talk to people abroad, but there is no real way to talk to the people in my region either they lurk or post everyonce in a while. regional forums might be good for the local dz dot commers to get togther more often. just my .04 cents(inflation ya know!)
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

[#003366]Then I suspect you read TalkBack only...

I should have been a little more specific. It IS TalkBack that reminds me. :D
Wendy W.[/#003366]
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)