skydiverek

Extremly low ejection - PHOTO attached!

He punched out successfully but the wind blew him right into the aircraft crash site which was now a roaring JP-8 fire.

I thought JP-8 was the fuel for the SR-71. JP-4 is what the Air Force uses, JP-5 is what the Navy uses...

Peter

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

OK, sort of serious question.

these ejector seats use round parachutes instead of squares.

is that because there is less chance of them going wrong on opening or are they quiker on opening ?

if the sport has progressed enough that most of us are jumping square mains with square reserves why do they use rounds for ejector seats.

PS. I have never jumped a round myself so I know nothng about them.

JUst a guess here. but I would imagine that not all pilotsa are conscious when they (or after they) eject.
they are shot out at about 300 ft per second. after two ejects most pilots are ground b/c of the compression of thier spines. like I said, Im guessing that, a round would set you dwon a little softer the a square due to lack of forward speed(never jumped a round, so its all just guess work here). I know some are equipped with squares, which I would personally rather have, but controlling your LZ may not be that important as setting you down softer...
My photos

My Videos

Also squares take more training to deal with the possible mals then what a round does. Basically line twists on a round are not a big deal. The main worry is inversion (Anti-inversion collars are probally used) and line over (there are more round mals, but I forget the other major one). The line over is easy to fix on a round since you won't be going that wicked. A line over on a square or even line twists is bad juju in most cases. Would'nt it suck to bail from a shot up plane, survive the eject but die due to a spinning square canopy with line tiwists preventing you from stopping the spin?

They do make the P124 bailout rig for sport pilots that uses a square canopy...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

From the web page:

For the record, not many planes can do the maneouvers that the Fulcrum can do

Obviously it can't do them either.

, and the USSR makes possibly the best ejection seats.

When the same pilot ejects at 2 airshows within months of each other, that would have to be a good thing....

>The pilot didn't eject before the last second because he did all he could do to steer the misbehaving
> plane away from the crowd. That's heroic, and almost costed him his life.

There was another instance of this more recently where a pilot of an F-117A flew his plane, minus one wing, away from an airshow crowd and a bunch of houses before ejecting way low.

>It's the "Aces II" the only thing it doesn't do as well as the Russian seats is the High speed ejections.

I was watching a documentary about lost nukes and they were talking to a B-52 crew that had some sort of electrical failure and dropped their bombs into the Arctic (ended up through the ice and into the ocean), then ejected. The guy that they interviewed was knocked unconcious, got two black eyes from the force of the blast, then stood up his landing, under a round, on ice.

I thought JP-8 was the fuel for the SR-71

Actually JP-8 is what HMMV trucks use but I think they are now using JP-8 for everything. Trucks, jets, Yukon stoves, whatever. I could be wrong though...it's been a while since I was near parked aircraft. I'm used to watching them scream over head at 300 Ft and 550 KIAS . ;)

Oh yeah.... as far as I know all US ejection systems use the MC-4 parachute. It's a unique round parachute that upon initial deployment is much like a T-10. If the pilot is concious and pulls down on the brakes it releases two "covers" on the panels that fall away. Then it's more like a MC-1C with about 8 Knts forward drive and a bit of directional control. I don't know of ANY US systems that use squares. Lets face it...landing a round sucks but you can't beat the reliability.

ahhhh...a little update for all of ya from some one's job it is to know these things.....

1. the acessII ejection seat used by the f-16, f-15, a-10 and maybe other u.s. aircraft but i'm not sure are all zero speed zero altitude capable.. i saw one work while i was in germany(fall'99).....the russian version is much better though in high speed like mentioned before. the acessII will also not let you go from the seat until at a safe altitude, the o2 is on the seat, what good would it do to dump you off the seat at 28k with no 02.....(there is a manual handle to release it though)

2. all air force(u.s.) planes (non "special") use jp-8. it is just diesal fuel with a few chemical aditives(less flamibly than jp-4)(jet a-1 can be used if needed but is never done and not recomended)....it(jp-8) is used for some of our generators, and a.g.e. (aircraft ground equipment) and that's about it....

wondering anything special about the f-16, let me know through a p.m. and i'll let ya know if i know..

<>>

1989 Perris Airshow. It's a fairly famous crash.

:$Perris? Maybe Paris?!:PSpot the skydiver with Perris on the brain!
:)What do you get if you add a 330^/sec roll with an 80^ dive at +transonic speeds as you're passing through 9,000ft, you ask?
ANSWER: Numerous dislocations, 2 extremely badly broken legs, extensive internal injuries, a parachute ride and one very f**ked up Dassault Mirage IIIO!
(As reported in 5/02 issue of Aust. Aviation Magazine)
And pilots think skydivers are nuts?!:S
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

From one canuck to another: I'm sorry.
I did one Med. cruise aboard HMCS Athabaskan and a STANAVFORLANT cruise aboard HMCS Iroquois.
Yes we burned JP5 in our Sea Pig, er, CH124A Sea King helicopters. I'm not sure if we really burned JP5. It was more like we stirred it around with the engines then dumped massive amounts of soot over board.
How those Sea Pigs, er Sea Kings corroded with all those oil and hydraulic leaks was a mystery to me.

I was watching a documentary about lost nukes and they were talking to a B-52 crew that had some sort of electrical failure and dropped their bombs into the Arctic (ended up through the ice and into the ocean), then ejected. The guy that they interviewed was knocked unconcious, got two black eyes from the force of the blast, then stood up his landing, under a round, on ice.
--
Brian

Viking
Carpal Tunnel
(Full Profile)

Aug 17, 2002, 2:14 AM

Post #32 of 47 (376 views)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i wonder how long it took Spectre230 to recover those nukes.....................

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!:D:D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

"Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was one early jet aircraft (F-86?) that had ejection seats that fired downward.

F-104 Starfighter I belive
Blue Skies,
-jp-
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." "

like i said earlier in the thread, early version of the F104........